Any feedback on Nakamichi PA-5 Stasis power amp

madbullram

In mumbai heard one stasis year back.good amp.speakers were some vontge premium pioneer one.
Frankly the sound was good but I cannot describe it!

In mumbai heard one stasis year back.good amp.speakers were some vontge premium pioneer one.
Frankly the sound was good but I cannot describe it!

MBR, Cmsajith has a vintage nakamichi amp( not stasis pa series) and boy is he happy with it!
You reached US?

The advantage in buying the Threshold the way I see is the fact that the man himself is available at diyAudio so in case of any eventualities (if any that is), Nelson - being such a noble gentleman will always find you a way to get your amp up & running...

I second this opinion about Nelson Pass. If you call Pass Labs, there is a good chance that he will pick up the phone. A few years ago, I bought a used Pass Labs power amp (X150 that I still have). It was a used piece and when I connected to my other components, I got static coming out of the speakers. I called Pass Labs, and Nelson walked me through on how to identify the culprit (ended up being the cable line that had some earthing problem).
I have heard a lot of good things about this series of amps from my brother (as he is a keen follower of Nak equipment and as a hobby fixes Nak cassette decks). I have one of the stasis receivers (SR series I think) which is not connected to anything right now. I used it briefly and it was good. I have also heard that Pass said that Nakamichi did not use his design fully in this amp due to cost considerations (you may be able to find it in diyaudio site). As audio_engr says, you may find more info about it in diyaudio.

I second this opinion about Nelson Pass. If you call Pass Labs, there is a good chance that he will pick up the phone. A few years ago, I bought a used Pass Labs power amp (X150 that I still have). It was a used piece and when I connected to my other components, I got static coming out of the speakers. I called Pass Labs, and Nelson walked me through on how to identify the culprit (ended up being the cable line that had some earthing problem).
I have heard a lot of good things about this series of amps from my brother (as he is a keen follower of Nak equipment and as a hobby fixes Nak cassette decks). I have one of the stasis receivers (SR series I think) which is not connected to anything right now. I used it briefly and it was good. I have also heard that Pass said that Nakamichi did not use his design fully in this amp due to cost considerations (you may be able to find it in diyaudio site). As audio_engr says, you may find more info about it in diyaudio.

Good to know that Mr. Nelson Pass actively helps with Pass labs equipment.
Raj, which Nak amp do you have, sr or pa series?

No guruji, the shipping weight comes to 50 pounds which is a big factor as I have to carry official equipments back :sad: how I wish they were available in india even 20% more than US prices!

Ram,

The cam would also weigh about 5 pounds with everything, I mean it also weighs something, not quite zero, is it? The amp weighs just 10 times more. Not that much, I'd say :).

These camcorders are bad things. I have bought two so far in my life, and not quite sure why we bought them. The last one is basically lying around.

Do something 'amp'ly (literally) :D.

Regards.

Asit da,
Well...the whole reason of a Cam is, we might have a new small addition to our family :) will know this month end :)

Cheers!

Wow! Great! Sincerely wish you the best. I can remember the excitement some 19 years back. That's when we bought our first camcorder too, a very good one, semi-pro quality. We were fortunate to record our son's first walking steps (truly, not rehearsed ones). I know preferences vary, but somehow both my wife and I like looking at old still pictures more than videos, probably because one can look at the same picture as long as one wants and in our minds can think about very fondly the situations behind each of those photographs. With video, there is nothing to think about, its totally WYSIWYG.

I say, go for both. There are times one needs to take bold decisions :).

Regards.

(PS: Never mind. I know everybody has financial constraints, even Tatas, Birlas and Ambanis do. I know how nice it would have been for you to go for both -- I always like to live in a dream.)

Asit & Ganny: Thanks a lot for this wishes, though its too early :)

Ganny: I am sorry for the hard drive, its still at home, if you need it pls pick it, else when I come back will get to it first thing. I already have a Camera which is good for me (point and shoot guy), my wife wants a camcorder so looking at JVC EVerio HM-200 which is within my budget of 400-500$

Ram
not an issue..will collect it when you come down. We will miss you though at the meet !!

cheers

Ram
not an issue..will collect it when you come down. We will miss you though at the meet !!

cheers

More so me, with all u guys having fun and me lonely in this stupid apartment thinking of the bliss u guys r in :mad::)

Ensure you have a scribe who notes down the event

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back