Any one driving a 3 way / 2.5 way Floor Stander using Marantz PM 6004?

I personally auditioned both Yamaha and Marantz .. found Marantz to be better with AViano as well as Wharf 9.5s

Marantz has loudness control, that's why you're saying marantz pm-6004 is better, but its waste in my view point . Yamaha A-S500 is very good tonal quality amp (like audiophile grade)

Insane test : Marantz Pm 6004 vs Quad 34 + 306 on B&W 603 floorstanding

One month ago I did some measures: CD PinkF Dark Side otm - absolutely high volumes ( there were no neighbors! ) , with vol knob at 15 o'clock , (max is 17 hours), SOURCE DIRECT ; in the peaks I tested (average) : Vmax = 14 V/ch and Imax = 1.7 A, for a maximum power of almost 25 W/ch; I generally listen to 9:30 hours max, with my wife coming & asking me for a lower volumes....I've to say that, while the Quad 34 + 306 that I owned before for 20 years , with the same B&W towers, and at a little lower volume, was going in protection (I had to unlock it using the back button) and also warmed up a bit on the smart front radiator, the Marantz instead was almost cold and never gone + in protection. The Quad was also sounding a little harsh and with harder highs, at these levels, while the Pm 6004 has retained a good liquidity on the mid & highs, which were still confortable...; anyway in everydays normal cd listening, at 9:30, I get only an output of 1 W/ch max on peaks, more punchy bass and similar mid vs Quad!
Yam as 500 has loudness too and in direct comparison with pm 6004 shows more dry, although more diffuse and detailed high frequencies, similar bass punch, but more fatiguing listening overall, for me.
Just a few thoughts .

Attachments

• B&W603 S2 all2.jpg
    B&W603 S2 all2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back