Any one running Audio Note amps in Bangalore?

I could only afford their four nines silver interconnect :eek: which I am using and very satisfied. It isn't as detailed at Transparent Audio that I use, but it sounds more smooth up top.

Wait, this thread is about AudioNote amps!

I had an AN M Zero pre-amp which was very nicely made and sounded quite good - clean, quiet and precise. But it did not have the purported AN magic.

Beast of burden, pl check with Viren. He sent all the specs to Dave Slagle and got the parts accordingly.

Cool, I will check with Viren. I have been discussing the interstage transformers with him for a while. We eliminated Lundahl. The James interstage transformers are nickel and supposedly very good.

Coming back to topic it appears there aren't too many Audio note owners.

Yes, there are not (m)any AN owners in the forum and possibly in India - mainly attributable to lack of D&D or brand awareness here and they not being really inexpensive cannot be 'main stream' too!

But, now with direct presence, hopefully many of us can get to audition and India presence might improve!

I have the Lyrita 2A3.. AN's own speakers aren't going to cut it with the Vindicator. I have no issues driving my Klipsch RF3s (98db sensitivity) with the Lyrita though.

My take is if you are happy with Lyrita and Klipsch then you might as well see how to improve upon them. But if you want to take it to the next levels (or 'final' system as you said) you can check out the AN-E/HE (High efficiency, 98dB versions) with one of their 2A3/211 amplifiers and see if they bring in substantial improvement. But you need to go with pre-power as they don't seem to have IA with 2A3.

Anyone running Audio note amps in Bangalore, please respond with model. Would like to hear your feedback and if at all possible an Audition. I am looking to buy one, so rest assured this is not a fishing expedition. The outlay is substantial but the level 3 amps are within reach. The pricing from Audio note India is quite attractive.

DrBass from this forum is in Singapore and uses an AN Pre-Power. you could drop him a PM and talk to him

Hi Beast_of_burden,

Its good to see people experimenting with their setups - I would encourage that.

In a design, parts substitution is one thing; however, circuit changes require a great deal of introspection and understanding. A good design is a symbiosis of all components, including the chassis. The Lyrita design has already sifted through many circuit topologies, and tube requirements, and has optimized its current design. Been through the 6SN7 stage, so would not go in that direction.

Viren

I visited AN in Mumbai and auditioned the system over the weekend. Aernoud is an awfully nice host. I heard a couple of CDs and one song on the TT. The speakers were the AN-E HE(High efficiency). The amp was the Oto Phono SE. The music as played by this system is very very dynamic, maybe even hyper dynamic(reminded me of my Fostex BLH but very balanced across the frequency spectrum). Every note is like a gut punch. Nothing euphonic about this system whatsoever. The system sounded snappy, utterly transparent and open - tight and fast. Very fast and resolved.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting this level of realism(for the lack of a better term). We played well recorded pieces that flattered the system. I did not get a chance to play any of my own music as I wasn't carrying any. If you visit, take your own CDs or LPs, you will have no trouble playing the records you like on that system. There is no facility to play from a computer or memory stick.

I was also told that the system as a whole produces that realism, replacing the CD player or the speakers or even the cables will not yield the same results. So, you are advised to plan for all components at a particular level that you can afford for optimal results. The number of options even at the same level are so huge that you should be prepared to be utterly confused during the course of the selection process. There is no way you can actually audition all the different combinations though.

I use the Audio Note M6 phono preamp with Conquest Silver Signature amplifiers. It is advisable to get their cables too. But the speakers can be different. I use a Tannoy. Any speaker that is SET friendly can be easily combined with Audio Note amps. The amps and preamps are very refined and high resolution.

I use the Audio Note M6 phono preamp with Conquest Silver Signature amplifiers. It is advisable to get their cables too. But the speakers can be different. I use a Tannoy. Any speaker that is SET friendly can be easily combined with Audio Note amps. The amps and preamps are very refined and high resolution.

A level six system, thats truly something. At 18 watts the conquests make it easier to partner with speakers of moderate sensitivity. My original choice was the Vindicator, but now I am veering towards the P2SE which makes similar power to the conquests. The Vindicator would mean high passing to sensitive speakers and using subwoofers. This works quite well although you would have to work hard on the integration. However, I am extremely prejudiced in favor of the 2A3 tube.

P2SE is a very good choice. What speakers you intend to use ?

I currently have BW 603 S3 and another pair of Klipsch Rf3 driven by Lyrita 2A3 amp. The amp will bust my budget, so I have to plan for upgrading speakers a bit later. The P2SE can easily drive either speaker. The Vindicator can drive the Klipsch RF3 as the Lyrita does especially with a subwoofer.

Just curious, have you heard either the P2SE or Soro? I have heard the OTO but no opportunities to listen to anything else in the AN line up.

Looks like you have changed everything except the speakers from the last time we met. Enjoy !!

I always had a soft corner for Audio Note. But it only makes sense if one goes for a relatively complete Audio Note setup. That took time.

In your experience, will cables, preamp, amp from audionote but source and speakers from elsewhere do for a synergistic system ?

I am assuming the source and speakers will need to match tonally and technically for this to work.

Yes it works, especially since source is suppose to be transparent and true sounding. Speakers if SET friendly then there is a case

I am not so sure. I feel the amp speaker match is very critical. For example a Rethm or a Lowther based speaker is unlikely to work with Audio Note amps. Tannoy, Devore Fidelity, etc are likely to work with Audio Note. Audio Note will work with speakers which has a fuller mid bass. Needless to say, the speakers have to be efficient.

When it comes to the source, it's not an issue as long as the source is reasonably transparent

I am not so sure. I feel the amp speaker match is very critical. For example a Rethm or a Lowther based speaker is unlikely to work with Audio Note amps. Tannoy, Devore Fidelity, etc are likely to work with Audio Note. Audio Note will work with speakers which has a fuller mid bass. Needless to say, the speakers have to be efficient.

When it comes to the source, it's not an issue as long as the source is reasonably transparent

I am in agreement with the amp and speaker combination having the most influence on the sound. One important characteristic I look for is the system's ability to sound good at low listening level. It needs to sound balanced at a level that wont disturb anyone in the next room. This is a hard trick to pull off. A subwoofer is usually meant to produce loud volume, but it can also balance out the sound very nicely at low listening levels.

DACs have gotten to the point where it is possible to find a very good one for not much money.

Hi square wave when you hear a recording in a studio or when you are at a live performance, the mid bass is fast and tight. In most home speakers, the mid bass is a bit fuller which brings in warmth and an organic feel to the music. It's very pleasing to the ear but it's not an accurate reproduction of the recorded music because that fuller mid bass reduces speed of transients and at times masks inner details

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back