Any reviews on Triangle bookshelf speakers?

asquiz

I am strongly considering a bookshelf speaker by the French company, Triangle. It's a version of their Esprit Comete Ex model called Comete Arpege - not the same, but more or less similar I think. I auditioned a few other bookshelf speakers from Monitor Audio, Dali, Mission etc. While they were all good, nothing particularly stood out for me. For some reason, I really loved the Triangle sound though it's a relatively older model. Bright, with sparkling clarity in the mid-range and highs. The bass is not the greatest. However, I don't think I will miss it that much given the music I listen to. I am a bit conflicted about this though as it's 10-15K more expensive than the other brands, and I see very few reviews about Triangle. I am not really an audiophile, so just going by how it sounded to me, by and large.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have no idea how they are but I have seen this brand in HiFiMart. Why don't you call them up and speak to Anil and get his views on it. He is very helpful.

Thanks! I did not see it on the hifimart website, but will give a call and check. I am hoping there's some Triangle owner here who can share his/her listening experience with one of their bookshelves. It's a tug of war between the heart and the mind right now! :)

Oh, and I wanted to add that I will be using it with a Yamaha AS501 amp.

Last edited:
Hi,

If there are speakers or a system which caters to your requirements, connectivity, performance and budget, it is suggested then you go ahead with it as each one of us have different tastes, expectations from systems...end of the day, you will be the end user and owner...best to get something what you like within budget rather than something which will disappoint or keep a doubt on your mind....

All the best!

I accompanied a friend to buy Rega turntable at Audio Planet (Mr. Palani) in July 2016 and demoed some LPs. These were connected to B&W and Triangle towers. Don't know the model but i do remember the pricing. Triangles at ~1.2L and B&W were ~1.7L. Triangles were far superior. B&W were sounding lethargic in comparison. Even a layman could have told the difference.

So I did end up buying the Triangle bookshelf - can't do much when your heart is taken with a particular sound. The model: Comete Arpege. It's a somewhat dated model (was sold largely in France, and not produced anymore, it's the earlier version of the current Triangle Esprit Comete XZ) and expensive at 50K given that my original budget was around 35K. Set it up yesterday, and am quite pleased. I know they say speakers have to be 'broken in', but it's bloody darn good right off the bat. Hopefully it stays that way and I can enjoy my music for a few years. I have it paired with a Yamaha AS-501.

Thanks to all those who responded! Appreciate it.

Congratulations! Glad you went with your gut. Do give us all a detailed review on your set up. We would like to know. It will also help future buyers of this brand.

Triangle is a very good brand and has some serious speakers in their lineup.
FM sidvee did a review on one of the models (Antal EZ) on Hifitoday.com

Their room at the last Bangalore Audio show was one of the better rooms at the show.
Looks like you have made a good choice. Always trust your ears.

Not much of a setup really. I disconnected my earlier Sony home theatre, so this is now both my music and movie setup, though I am primarily looking to use it for music. It's set up in my living room, and am happy the Triangle's sound is good enough to get a great listening experience even in the dining area/open kitchen. Personally, I have decided 2 channel stereo on great speakers are more than good enough for movies and sports. I don't really need 5.1 sound which will, in any case, need additional investment in an AVR.

Much of my music is on an iPod now, I use a Sony Bluray player (part of my earlier Sony home theatre setup) as my CD player. However, it doesn't recognize flaac. The nice thing about the AS-501 is it has a built in DAC which is supposed to be fairly decent. I haven't yet used it, need to get the right cable first. Most of my Hindi/Tamil mp3 are reasonably high quality (256 Kbps+), but besides a few CDs I own, my rock/country/celtic/classical music collection aren't as good. So first need to build up improved sources, that's my priority for the next 2-3 months. After that, depending on how far down the audiophile rabbit-hole I fall, I may end up getting a CD player or media player. As of now, no such plans though :)

Thanks! I did not see it on the hifimart website, but will give a call and check. I am hoping there's some Triangle owner here who can share his/her listening experience with one of their bookshelves. It's a tug of war between the heart and the mind right now! :)

Oh, and I wanted to add that I will be using it with a Yamaha AS501 amp.

Off the topic question. From where did you buy A-S501? It's not yet officially available in India. How much did you pay for it? And how well does the DAC perform? If possible, please post a review of A-S501.

Thanks.

I got it on Amazon UK, paid about 25K INR including 2K for shipping to the hotel where I was staying (purchased during a business trip). I noticed it was available on ebay and one other place here, but much more expensive at 60K+

It's a weighty piece of equipment and looks really well-built, and comes with a beautiful and simple remote. But I don't know enough/haven't used it that much yet to comment on quality compared to products like the Marantz 6005.

Hi @asquiz

I've also auditioned ( last week ) my "Cambridge Topaz SR20" Amplifier with Dali Zenfor 5 & 1, Boston Acoustics A360 and finally at Audio Planet with Palani, i auditioned Monitor Audio Floorstanders/Towers and Triangle COMETE 902. Immediately i could differenciate the sound with both of them.

Fell in love with Triangle speakers. instruments like Guitar, Tabla, Saarang are audible very sharp and crisp. Everyone have their own tastes and that is how i like my music to be audible. They are bookshelf speakers and costing 50K. Though there is Brown and Black colours in that model, Audio Planet has BLACK coloured ones with them. I think, i am going to go ahead with them. They are coming with 3 Year Warranty. Triangle's Speakers line-up is Huge and very well designed. However, there is NOT a single review avaialable anywhere on these speakers.

@asquiz , can i know where you've got/purchases your speakers from ?

Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back