Any Suggestions For A 7.1 Speaker Package?

moserw

Hi,

I've recently set up a system (well truth be told I only helped with purchases and decision making and the actual setting up was done by the technicians and electrician) with Yamaha RX-V663 and Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 speaker system. Now I'm helping out my cousin to setup a 7.1 system with HD Audio to complement his Pioneer Kuro. Probably will go with Yamaha RXV-863 but I need inputs/suggestions/help from all for a 7.1 speaker package something along the lines of the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package. An all in one package would be preferable to mixing and matching a 7.1 speaker package...

this is a new system he wants to build. So I guess he is open to completely different speaker packages too.

@anm - Spot on. Open to other options and in fact would like to audition/take a look at something new...

@mridulgoel - Bhai got the AVR in Bengaluru and the speakers package from Mumbai (I think since my cousin got them and he was traveling a lot). Both of us are traveling right now. I will get the correct details and post them if you still want the info.

Coming it how the system sounds/performs, the initial response is awesome. Needs a long audition though. Only grouch was that the Blu-Ray DVDs we got while the PQ looks the best on a Full HD Kuro the audio is only Dolby Digital and not even DTS forget HD Audio. I'm going to order some Full HD Audio Blu-Ray titles from Amazon and I'm sure it will be even better then.

@venkatcr - Sir that's an option I've thought of. Just checking if any specific 7.1 speaker packages are out now that HD Audio is out and everyone will be moving from 5.1 or else at least the new ones will look to go for a 7.1 system and not a 5.1 system.

this is a new system he wants to build. So I guess he is open to completely different speaker packages too.

buddy anm

i hv just given him an option...
and tht varies on what was his experience...

buddy moserw

if the speakers are not getting the correct output from the amp and source, its true it will nt play the things so good...
I just wnted to knw where u picked it frm, as its nt available @ many places right nw...
recently we have started in North n NE, Mumbai n Goa we have one dealer each...
mostly in Mumbai, Chennai, Kerela we have...

my intention was not to question your intention :lol: - I saw everyone giving the same suggestion, so I thought maybe it wasn't clear that this is a different setup.

buddy anm

i hv just given him an option...
and tht varies on what was his experience...

I was just joking guys.

Moser it all comes down to the budget and size. The Q-A is really correctly sized for small rooms.

Since you are placing the Q-A as the reference point, I would say any bookshelves (4 of them) , a matching center, two lower bookshelves, and a matching sub would make the set complete. You should also look at Dipoles as a good option for surrounds as they provide a much better imaging and surround sound experience.

As you yourselves are aware, there are a number of brands out there.
  • If you looking at a mixture of musicality, transparency, and authority, I would place PSB quite high on the list along with other brands.
  • The KEF IQ series are also very good though slightly large in size.
  • You can also look at Energy's C-100 or C-200 systems. Contrary to their Take 5 which use satellite speakers, these models use proper bookshelves and yet keep the size small.
  • Mission's M3i series are also good with good sound that can be used for both musicality and for movies.
  • MS Mezzo 2 are also award winners.
  • AE has two series - One: the Aego T series, and Two: the Aegis Neo or Classic Series.

On a slightly (lots of slightly) expensive prices range, you can assemble a killer set using B&W bookshelves, centre, and sub.

Cheers

Back