Any views on Onida 5522 ATOM?

nomdeplume

Hello forum-mates

I'm only looking at an "intermediate" DVD player - plan to buy a Blu-Ray device once the software becomes cheaper next year.
Really looking for an HDMI-capable DVD player that can also take inputs from USB / HDD at a low cost.

Went to check on a Philips 3388 at NOIDA market.
Salesman was directing me to the Onida 5522. Sleek unit, with HDMI cable, plays DivX (not sure about certification) and WMA/WMV (claimed) with USB and SD card reader.

I'd read previous posts here regarding reliability issues with Onida DVD players. The co. offers One year warranty now it seems.

Choice now: Philips 3388 @ Rs. 5000 vs. Onida 5522 @ Rs. 3,500.

Please advise whether this is worth it.

onida lost its charm long ago with its victor series tv sets. now onida is just a scarp material and u mentioned that they are offering one year warranty, are u ok with failure of device within warranty period and their service engineers are worst engineers. i have their product (2 nos). just skip onida.

Last edited:
Stay away from ONIDA.
I bought a 32 " LCD , this conked on the 14th month.
Cost to repair - A ridiculous Rs.28,000 /- almost the cost of a new TV.
This they tell after keeping the LCD for over two months.
to top it all they want me to PAY THEM for storing the TV

Between 3500 and 5000, a safe choice will be the Pioneer 220. I have been using (three now) Pioneers players and they have all (touch wood) worked without a hitch. The 220 sells legally for 4,500.

Cheers

Though I own old Onida DVDp,I will say choose something other like Pioneer 422(4k?).They have higher failure rates currently.

Being ex product head of Onida DVD my advise is to look for better alternatives , you may get samsung which may be a good low cost alternative.

what the hell happened to Onida? There was a time when they used to be up there alongwith the big boys, at least in terms of branding and advertising. "Neighbor's envy, Owner's Pride" was one of the most identifiable ad slogans of its time.

If I am not wrong, Onida had a technical partnership with JVC which probably broke off and then all their troubles started. And now someone mentioned in another thread that they are just importing cheap sets from Taiwan or China and branding them as their own.

Hemant, any light on this??

Bought the Philips

Thanx to all the good people who chipped in with their views. Most appreciated.

Tried to buy the Pioneer 420 in grey market. No luck. Was just not available on new year's eve. My friendly grey market camera guy could arrange a Pioneer 410, but advised against it as there were known compatibility issues.
Pioneer 220 is available with bill @ Rs. 4100, but no DivX Ultra and no WMV support, so

I went ahead & bought the Philips 3388 to complement the Philips 9703. Gorgeous PQ straight out of the box. HDMI cable included.
Plays India and US region-coded discs without any complaints. Got it to play a couple of Windows Media Video files of corporate AV without any hiccups too. Yay!

The image on some discs seems overly sharp - even after adjusting Sharpness to 0 on both the TV as well as on DVD player. It's clearly a disc thing as the issue is not there with all media. Needs some further tweaking I'm sure.

Once again, thanx to y'all.
Cheers!

what the hell happened to Onida? There was a time when they used to be up there alongwith the big boys, at least in terms of branding and advertising. "Neighbor's envy, Owner's Pride" was one of the most identifiable ad slogans of its time.

That Ad catch phrase ""Neighbor's envy, Owner's Pride"" is seen more often in public urinals than for Onida products nowadays :lol:

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back