Changing Perceptions & Help on 5.1 ch setup within 60-80K

Ashwanik007

Hi Guys,
What a gr8 forum with so much of gr8 knowledgable people who are willing to share and help the newbies like us. First of all I would like to share my experience which may sound boring(U may skip this para)., but could not resist to open my heart. I am having a room size of 18x 25 feet and prefer floor standing speakers with 80% usage for movies for surround and realistic effects (with good bass too). I started myself with a budget of 20-25K initially for an HTiB which I thought was good amount to invest( anything, higher than that was a waste due to newer technologies). I was searching for 5.1ch setup and auditioned(with wife & 2 kids) Sony, LG, Samsung, Philips, Panasonic all with at least 2 front floor standing speakers and available in the budget too. I was going to settle down for Philips HTS 5550/94 (1200w RMS). My wife and kids blocked their ears after a few seconds, whenever salesman upped the volume :annoyed:and I was pretty satisfied and thought that HTiB was loud enough with the killer looks too. But then I thought, I was unnecessarily paying for the player(currently having LG DVD player) which always becomes obsolete after few years, thanx to the technology again. So, I deviated from myself and asked salesguy for options without player. NEXT, I was standing before a Onkyo HTS 3305 within same price range but with bookshelf speakers. Honestly, Looks didnt impressed me.(I always thought big sized floor standing speakers deliver better quality(?) than smaller ones). But when the system was switched on, it changed my world. There was no comparison with the above mentioned HtiBs and kids enjoyed the high volume also (No shrillness or piercing sound). I asked for more and then we were sitting with JAMO S606 with Polk Subwoofer and Sherwood Amp (Deal was around 62 K). I was really impressed with audio. Seeing my Face seeking for approval from higher authority, My wife happily agreed and approved the budget up to 80K. :yahoo::thumbsup:But now happy though,:cheers: I was pushed into a new quest for greater horizons and now this forum came into the picture.:confused:

Now current scenario :
Budget = 60-80K for HT
Room Size = 18x 25 feet (Separate room)
TV = LG 42 inch LCD(HDMI & USB-Divx) ,
Player = LG DVD Player
Media Player = IOMEGA 1TB screenplay director with HDMI out , 1 optical out (Not sure about it being 5.1).
Preferences : 80% movies and Floor standing speakers with good bass
Later : Will go for an HTPC later on due to audio limitations of IOMEGA and projector based system for real experience. (Budget separate)

Help needed on :-
1. Decent 5.1 setup for the budget.(Location Noida/Delhi)
2. Can I use the Iomega Screen play Director for 5.1ch setup, IF not then I will go for HTPC also.
3. Whether current TV is good or should I go for projector based system.

Thanx in Advance.

1. On your Budget I can suggest denon AVR 1611/1911 with Mission 35i FS and matching Surrounds, I liked the sound very much, Demo Them and you will have good idea. Top Gizmos in Noida is where I audiotend them and Was satisfied.
I can give you quoted amount if you want , PM me. i dont remember but have the paper slip at home somewhere. Vinod at Top Gizmos there is extremely helpful.

Other Option is Yamaha 667 Package with Yamaha FS spakers in 90 K , if you bargain hard the cost should come down. I audiotened that at MGF mall Gurgaon. The Bass was good and that is something you are looking at.

3 shops next to it is Profx , you can audition Polk TSI series with I think will be a little over your budget and there are better options than that at that Price point but let you ears decide.

If space is constrained check out MINX system For CA at FX entertainment CR park. These small satellites with 250 W SW filled the room 20 by 20 with Great sound and response, Add a 1611 Avr and you are set.

2. For coming time Iomega Player will be fine, Since you will be using HDMI, audio will be routed via that. Optical cable is fully capable to stream 5.1 also. HTPC is costly and in Future if you want HD audio just get a newer HD player.

3. TV is good for Regualar viewing and daily soaps. Projector on the other hand have limited Life as they use lamp that burns out after some thousand hours ( Practically 2500) . My suggestion keep the TV and add Projector for Weekly movies and special Events like ICC World cup and other events.

I did a recent round of auditions in Delhi / NCR to build my own system. In case of any questions you can PM me for my cell and we can talk then.

For low budget may Onkyo 3300/3400 (25k)+ HTPC 20k(assembled)
Once you have HTPC,you may not need DVDp(which can be pioneer)

Thanx to all for the help.

I went to Croma-CP(Delhi), TGIP, Noida for LG, Jumbo, Samsung, Home Town. Later on I too reached Top Gizmos. Yes, Vinod was very helpful :eek:hyeah:and they have a very good setup for different systems. Jatin, Pl. do share the prices offered by him.

Will explore these options and come back.

Thanks again for quick replies:)

I am looking for amp to pair with Mission M35i speakers mostly for movies(80%).

Pl. suggest

Hi,

Were you able to find a demo for the mission speakers in delhi and what price are you getting?

Also please inform what were the brands available at the shops you visited (Croma-CP, TGIP, Top Gizmos)

Thanks.

I have initially checked for sony at Sony-Centre, LG, Philips, Samsung at TGIP with at least Front FS speakers. Later I auditioned denon DHT-390 at croma, onkyo HTS 3400 at TGIP without FS. Still feeling that something was missing, I went for Top Gizmos, noida. There I auditioned JAmo S606+sherwood Amp+ Polk Sub, JBL 5.1 setup , Denon 1311+Denon 5.1 setup.
Didn't know about Missions then. After Jatin guidance, I thought I should check Mission M35i also. Better to have some Amp in mind before auditioning M35i's .

Shakensoul, details of my auditions in order are :

1. Croma(CP) - Sony ,Philips , Denon DHT 390
2. Sony Center (CP) - Sony, of course
3. TGIP, Noida - Samsung at Samsung Showroom, Sony at Jumbo electronics, LG at LG's showroom , Philips, Onkyo 3400 at Home Town
4. Top Gizmos, Noida- Jamo, Denon, JBL

I don't remember all the models but mostly were FS except onkyo,denon,jbl

Will update after Mission audition.

Shakensoul, no one has dedicated room for auditioning except Top Gizmos. Top gizmos is having a very good setup with various options.

Appreciate the information. I am also on the lookout for a HT setup in that range and have been auditioning a few stuff.

Do check out the Onkyo and Pure Acoustics supernova package at CR Park, out of all I found it most attractive.

Hope fellow veterans of this forum will forgive me for repeating this response like a broken record but I have always felt this way about the approach to home theater on a budget :
Do not make the mistake of going all out for the full speaker, subwoofer and receiver bundle of you feel it is a compromise.

Speakers are the most important so select the family that appeals to you, example wharfedale or mordaunt short. Then find the best receiver in your budget such as demon 1911 or yamaha 657 etc.

Now start with just the receiver and front speaker pair.

Then start adding the rest as you go along, possibly in this order: subwoofer, center and rear pair.

Also do not discount used speakers as an option. You have the advantage of getting speakers that are already broken in and sounding their best.

Fully agreed with U, particleman. That's why I will start with M35i speakers.

Shakensoul, look like we are in the same boat. Keep the thread updated. Also pm jatinmalhotra for more guidance. He has been a great help.

Based in Bangalore, i am also looking for speakers to couple with Onkyo 608. Where can i get used speakers in bangalore

Suresh

Based in Bangalore, i am also looking for speakers to couple with Onkyo 608. Where can i get used speakers in bangalore

Suresh

Suresh,

Our forum member Bluu is selling his mission towers and another member hasan khani is selling his klipsch tower speakers , check with them if you are interested.

Finally after a month's search in this hot weather and Delhi's Traffic, finally settled for :

1. Mission M35i +M3c2i+MHTds+MS10 for 43990
2. Denon 1611 for 27K
3. Supra 1.6 classic for 168/m

Hi Ash,
Am in the same scene as you. I have my Denon 1911 reaching India soon. Then need to pair it with speakers. Still contemplating with all the options.

I am not too keen in getting the FS first and then Sub and then rear, mainly coz.

I wanna enjoy the 5.1 directly in the beginning
Secondly, am too restless to wait that long,
I stay in a rented place, and the rent alone is the price of Onkyo 3300 per month.... ouch!
Wont be having a place of my own in some time... so Dont wanna invest in a full blow perfect hifi home theater. A compact one will do for the time being.

Can I demo Klipsch HD500 somewhere in Delhi?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back