Want to Upgrade my Home theatre

Hemant

It's been long and kind of bored with current setup. Hence now I want to change some components but if I change receiver I might need to change speakers to match that.

Current Setup (Based in Pune ) :

Onkyo TX-NR-646
Monitor Audio MRW 10 subwoofer
Onkyo 4600 Floor standing + Onkyo center + surround (same series as of floor standing)
Wharfdale DFS surround

Sony 65X90K QLED ( this I will not change soon ;) )
Mostly watch streamed content 90% movies 10% music

My room size is 12 x 15 and setup is on wider side as shorter side has full window on one side and full wardrobe on otherside.

I was thinking of Denon X3800H (want to move away from onkyo after 15 years different models ) and matching 5.1.4 setup

initially considering Klipsch R-600F R50C R-14S but it will be huge for my room due to space constraints

So I am open to suggestions on AVR and speakers budget is 3-4 Lakh

Thanks in advance:)

You can stick with Onkyo TX-NR-646 unless you want to upgrade to more channels or atoms.
I have moved from Onkyo to Denon 3600 H , Of course Denon is very good receiver , but sound wise i do not see so much difference, In Denon you have more control for EQ curve and u can bring better tone quality. Also i think your onkyo AVR is old model and does not provide Audyssey room correction where you get in the Denon latest receivers. If these makes sense then go with new denon AVR.

Otherwise ff you want to improve the punch and more clarity in the sound, better invest in power AMP (provided your onkyo AVR has pre-outs) , good powerful speakers +Sub.

Speakers you have lot of options, For your room size Floor standers will be better.
Bowers and Wilkins, Wharfedale , Dale ,Montoto Audio ,Definitive Technology , Focal( more expensive) ..etc. Try auditioning them and choose the best it sounds good to your ears.

For Sub, you can consider getting REL/XTZ/SVS/Rhythmic 12" or 15" sub based on your budget.

Last edited:
You can stick with Onkyo TX-NR-646 unless you want to upgrade to more channels or atoms.
I have moved from Onkyo to Denon 3600 H , Of course Denon is very good receiver , but sound wise i do not see so much difference, In Denon you have more control for EQ curve and u can bring better tone quality. Also i think your onkyo AVR is old model and does not provide Audyssey room correction where you get in the Denon latest receivers. If these makes sense then go with new denon AVR.

Otherwise ff you want to improve the punch and more clarity in the sound, better invest in power AMP (provided your onkyo AVR has pre-outs) , good powerful speakers +Sub.

Speakers you have lot of options, For your room size Floor standers will be better.
Bowers and Wilkins, Wharfedale , Dale ,Montoto Audio ,Definitive Technology , Focal( more expensive) ..etc. Try auditioning them and choose the best it sounds good to your ears.

For Sub, you can consider getting REL/XTZ/SVS/Rhythmic 12" or 15" sub based on your budget.
Thanks for quick reply .

One of reason thinking of changing receiver is this Onkyo 646 don't have pre-outs :confused: Also current receiver is 7.2 but wanted to add 4 channel for atmos hence looking for upgrade. Onkyo 646 have Accueq room correction but it's basic not as Direc I want to keep Monitor Audio Sub for now might add another one .

I am trying to audition KEF, Polk signature , Klipisch is huge for my room so rejected by home minister.

Regards
Hemant

Last edited:
My suggestion is to look at newly launched Integra series DRX 3.4, 5.4 and 8.4.
Since you have remained in Onkyo environment, Integra should be more suited.
This is premium brand and loaded with all the latest features.

My suggestion is to look at newly launched Integra series DRX 3.4, 5.4 and 8.4.
Since you have remained in Onkyo environment, Integra should be more suited.
This is premium brand and loaded with all the latest features.
Agreed. The 3.4 has 9 pre outs and has Dirac included in the price MRP is about 1.6 I think

Agreed. The 3.4 has 9 pre outs and has Dirac included in the price MRP is about 1.6 I think
Initially I thought that but Onkyo bankruptcy made me change mind to go away from as I can see Onkyo India site is shut and sourcing Onkyo parts was always issue even earlier also. I can see most of shops stopped putting Onkyo in their inventory like AvXellance in Pune. Specifically Pune I don’t see Onkyo anywhere.

Please let me know if my fear about parts is unfounded .

Hemant

Initially I thought that but Onkyo bankruptcy made me change mind to go away from as I can see Onkyo India site is shut and sourcing Onkyo parts was always issue even earlier also. I can see most of shops stopped putting Onkyo in their inventory like AvXellance in Pune. Specifically Pune I don’t see Onkyo anywhere.

Please let me know if my fear about parts is unfounded .

Hemant
Onkyo was sold to Premium Audio Co in 2021. Cinebels is now the distributor for Onkyo Pioneer and Integra - I got my LX-505 from Mumbai. All three brands have 18 month warranty and all service is taken care of by Cinebels.

They told me Onkyo India used to be the previous distributor of Onkyo

Onkyo was sold to Premium Audio Co in 2021. Cinebels is now the distributor for Onkyo Pioneer and Integra - I got my LX-505 from Mumbai. All three brands have 18 month warranty and all service is taken care of by Cinebels.

They told me Onkyo India used to be the previous distributor of Onkyo
Yes correct. Yesterday I visited Mumbai and had following Auditions

1. KEF Q550 ,Q250C,Q150,Q50A with Denon 6700 (will buy 3800h though if Denon selected)
2. PolK Audio Reserve series with Denon 6700 (will buy 3800h though if Denon selected)
3. Onkyo RZ50 with Klipsch R 600F,R 50C,R14S,R40 SA,
4. Onkyo RZ50 with Klipsch R 5000F II,R 50C,R14S,R40 SA,

Issue is more confused now :p

KEF are soft very good for music and Klipsch are sharp good for movies ... I am skipping Polk

Any help in selecting between these ?

Thanks a lot in advance

1. KEF Q550 ,Q250C,Q150,Q50A with Denon 6700 (will buy 3800h though if Denon selected)
2. PolK Audio Reserve series with Denon 6700 (will buy 3800h though if Denon selected)

KEF are soft very good for music and Klipsch are sharp good for movies ... I am skipping Polk

Thanks a lot in advance
I would like to suggest to try for Polk again, if possible audition it again.
As compared to KEF Q550, Polk R500 has better frequency response as well as power output.
If you want you can audition it in Pune also, there's place called Touchwood Automations on Senapati Bapat road.

Between Klipsch and KEF as per my experience I will vote for KEF, as Cause of Horn Tweeters there's more sharpness in sound which can cause ear fatigue.

All The Best!

initially considering Klipsch R-600F R50C R-14S but it will be huge for my room due to space constraints
If considering Klipsch, go for RP series in case it's within your budget and avoid R series altogether.

Is it possible for you to consider bookshelf for Front LR setup over the tower speakers? I'd invest that difference in getting a better center speaker + subwoofer upgrade, which are 2 main components in a HT setup, since your majority usage would be for watching movies.

KEF are soft very good for music and Klipsch are sharp good for movies
Demo the speakers with the type of content you'd typically watch by putting it on a pendrive and using it as a reference to determine which speakers offer better experience. In case you're leaning towards Klipsch speakers, make sure you demo them for longer duration to see if it causes ear fatigue.

Thanks a lot in advance
Try auditioning Klipsch for longer sessions and get will sound fatiguing..

Did you look into JBL stage series ? They are pretty good for their price..

Thanks

eswarasai ,ajuvignesh,prateekatasniya

for suggestions and advice.
Sorry for late reply I was busy in setup and enjoying new System :)

Finally I brought following

• Klipsch RP-5000 F II towers
  • Klipsch R50 C Center
  • Klipsch Surround 14 S surrounds
  • Klipsch RP-500 SA II Atmos
  • Klipsch R121 SW
  • Onkyo RZ50 receiver
KEF was more musical but I watch more movies and less music hence Klipsch

I am thinking of Emotiva basX 3 amplifier for LCR but it can wait.

Regards
Hemant

Thanks

• Klipsch R50 C Center
  • Klipsch R121 SW
  • Onkyo RZ50 receiver

Regards
Hemant
Just stumbled upon this thread.
Had so much to say, but you are such a fast mover!

Jokes apart, you have done well, indeed. :D
Good choices.
Enjoy the set up.
And do drop your first opinions soon.

Thanks

• Klipsch R50 C Center
  • Klipsch R121 SW
  • Onkyo RZ50 receiver

Regards
Hemant
Also, was just reading about the Integra-Klipsh RP series synergy.
Were you not tempted to check out the DRX line since you chose the RPs?

Thanks

• Klipsch R50 C Center
  • Klipsch R121 SW
  • Onkyo RZ50 receiver

Regards
Hemant
Congrats on your purchase. May I know what is price you paid for KLIPSCH RP-5000F?

When I was at cinebels I went to audition RZ50 and R-600 F but when I hear couldn’t ignore RP series also one of reason is RP series has less physical dimensions (depth) .
So when at last I asked about Integra model the person there informed not to go for integra which was surprise . I had in mind DRX 5.4 . So couldn’t audition DRX 5.4 .
Also initially atmos speakers I choose was R40 SA but they were on shortage and stock was not expect for 20-30 days hence went for RP 500 SA ii
😊

Congrats on your purchase. May I know what is price you paid for KLIPSCH RP-5000F?

One more point wanted to add is now RZ50 also have Integra like Klipsch speaker model selection for optimal crossover and other settings. With new update it added few more models too.

One more point wanted to add is now RZ50 also have Integra like Klipsch speaker model selection for optimal crossover and other settings. With new update it added few more models too.
Oh, that's good news!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back