7.1.4 recommendations to go with Denon X3800h

My only point is that I opened up the sub, which I would not normally do and was appalled at the quality of the amp. - yes and it is junk,
You're saying its junk and the quality of the amp is poor. Can you provide some context, please.
I have seen the internals of an SVS. They are not any better or worse than most digital plate amplifiers seen in other reputed sub woofer manufacturers. Other than the control section which is sort of proprietary to SVS, there is not much to differ.

Honestly; if you pry open most sub woofers today, you will not want to own any of them. Thats what mass market product standards are these day. In the end, all we care about it how they sound. In this regard, you'll be hard pressed to fault even the cheapest SVS.

You're saying its junk and the quality of the amp is poor. Can you provide some context, please.
I have seen the internals of an SVS. They are not any better or worse than most digital plate amplifiers seen in other reputed sub woofer manufacturers. Other than the control section which is sort of proprietary to SVS, there is not much to differ.

Honestly; if you pry open most sub woofers today, you will not want to own any of them. Thats what mass market product standards are these day. In the end, all we care about it how they sound. In this regard, you'll be hard pressed to fault even the cheapest SVS.
Yes I agree, I was mistaken, they are not junk.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

Svs sub designs are bad..
Loads of port noise and group delay..
What's good about svs is the marketing.

Svs sub designs are bad..
Loads of port noise and group delay..
What's good about svs is the marketing.
I am sorry. Without data, all you are doing here is speculating.
Group delay? Never heard of it nor have my ears picked up anything like this. Please explain.
The last time I heard port noise from a loudspeaker was 20 years ago.
I have heard a fair few SVS subs, from the cheapest to the most expensive. Hard to fault.
The build quality is debatable. In the end, all I care about it how they sound and how the manufacturer supports you post sales.
Wish we had a way to poll all SVS users here and find out what they think of their sub woofers.

Anyway, we've digressed a fair bit now. Let us get back to the FM and help them find a good product.
Alt option to the SVS. Polk Audio HTS12.

Last edited:
Group delay? Never heard of it nor have my ears picked up anything like this. Please explain.
I have heard a fair few SVS subs, from the cheapest to the most expensive. Hard to fault.
The build quality is debatable. In the end, all I care about it how they sound and how the manufacturer supports you post sales.
Wish we had a way to poll all SVS users here and find out what they think of their sub woofers.

Anyway, we've digressed a fair bit now. Let us get back to the FM and help them find a good product.
If you have technical knowledge of how subwoofers work you will be in a better position to judge ..

I have experienced good subwoofers and subs like svs .. and I clearly know the difference..I was. Svs fan long time back..
Became a fan coz I read a lot of good reviews..
But good reviews is a marketing game. .
(Psychology fact: generally, Once we own a product we try to justify that it's good)

Thanks for the alt option.
HTS12 is under my budget. But so many people just outright discard it.

I wonder why. You should go listen to the sub yourself and take a call.
+1. I think people might me comparing with the expensive subs. HTS12 is supposed to be good sub under budget.
Also if possible you can check with the people who owns HTS12 sub in the HFV.

Other options:
Earthquake FF12 Subwoofer
Mission MS-400

How is the BIC Acoustech PL-200 II sub?
I heard it's a good bang for the buck.
Oohh it is. I myself own a Pl200 ii, and its a really great VFM and it absolutely shakes and rattlers the room. But i would suggest you to look for better brands with good after sales service and warranty.

I bought mine 2 years back seeing that BIC was providing 5 years of warranty for the amp. Recently there have been several BIC owners with issues where brand new months old subs are having issues and not able to get their subs fixed under warranty.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back