7.1.4 recommendations to go with Denon X3800h

gowidpmd

Hi,

I am from Jaipur, Rajasthan.
I am building a dedicated theatre room, and I am thinking of a 7.1.4 setup with 2 seating rows.
I ask our architect and he suggested a 17' x 24' room. So, we are constructing that.
I have decided on the Denon X3800h as it suits my needs and budget.
For the projector, I think Epson EH-TW7100 (Home Cinema 3800) would be enough. (?)
But I have doubts about the speakers and subwoofer. I am inclining towards the following-

a. Polk ES55 Towers, Polk ES30 Center, Polk ES20 Surround Side, Polk ES10 Surround Back, No idea about the ceiling speakers, HTS-10/12 Subwoofer
b. Q-Acoustics 3050i Package, HTS-10/12 Subwoofer

Please suggest the followings-
  1. A Complete 7.1.4 set under $2000 or INR 1,75,000.
  2. Should Surround back speakers be smaller?
  3. I have to add an external amplifier for 2 channels, (probably the rear atmos set), can it be done with the 'Class D' options like AIYIMA A07?
  4. Is Epson EH-TW7100 enough or Should I rise up to EH-TW9400?
Looking forward to your help...

Thanks,
Pramod

Hi,

I am building a dedicated theatre room, and I am thinking of a 7.1.4 setup with 2 seating rows.
I ask our architect and he suggested a 17' x 24' room. So, we are constructing that.
For the projector, I think Epson EH-TW7100 (Home Cinema 3800) would be enough. (?)
But I have doubts about the speakers and subwoofer. I am inclining towards the following-

a. Polk ES55 Towers, Polk ES30 Center, Polk ES20 Surround Side, Polk ES10 Surround Back, No idea about the ceiling speakers, HTS-10/12 Subwoofer

3. I have to add an external amplifier for 2 channels, (probably the rear atmos set), can it be done with the 'Class D' options like AIYIMA A07?

Thanks,
Pramod

With a room of that size and two rows of seating you should consider atleast 2 subwoofers to ensure you get proper bass consistency in each seat. Since you are constructing the room have you considered anything for acoustic treatment for the room. More then the speakers or electronics you may purchase the room will make the most impact on the final sound stage.

With a room of that size and two rows of seating you should consider atleast 2 subwoofers to ensure you get proper bass consistency in each seat. Since you are constructing the room have you considered anything for acoustic treatment for the room. More then the speakers or electronics you may purchase the room will make the most impact on the final sound stage.
For that, I am relying on the home theatre experts I will have to hire to prepare the room.
Is that size too large? I don't want a situation that I have to invest more in speakers and subwoofer(s) because the room is too big, especially, when the size is completely under my control at this stage.
Initially, I was thinking of a 14' x 20' room, but someone suggested that I should at least have a 17' x 23' room.
I still have the option to change the size of the room.

For that, I am relying on the home theatre experts I will have to hire to prepare the room.
Is that size too large? I don't want a situation that I have to invest more in speakers and subwoofer(s) because the room is too big, especially, when the size is completely under my control at this stage.
Initially, I was thinking of a 14' x 20' room, but someone suggested that I should at least have a 17' x 23' room.
I still have the option to change the size of the room.
The room size is fine but the size will reduce after you add acoustic treatment. For bass traps you need a minimum of 6 to 8 inches of absorption to absorb down to the low frequencies for example. If you add diffusion some diffusers can be also be 8 inches in depth, depending on which brand you use. Reducing the room by a couple of feet won't reduce the impact a second subwoofer would make. If you want to have good bass across moss of the seats and not just a few seats consider 2 to 4 subwoofers.

You
Hi,

Thanks,
Pramod
You need to rethink your budget..
Budget allocated for speakers is low when compared to budget for AVR and projector.

Decide the room size based on the number is seats you need. Room interiors and acoustics will also need a decent amount of money to be completed.

Regards.

You

You need to rethink your budget..
Budget allocated for speakers is low when compared to budget for AVR and projector.

Decide the room size based on the number is seats you need. Room interiors and acoustics will also need a decent amount of money to be completed.

Regards.
I can increase the budget a little, say by 50k.
What would you suggest I should get?

The room size is fine but the size will reduce after you add acoustic treatment. For bass traps you need a minimum of 6 to 8 inches of absorption to absorb down to the low frequencies for example. If you add diffusion some diffusers can be also be 8 inches in depth, depending on which brand you use. Reducing the room by a couple of feet won't reduce the impact a second subwoofer would make. If you want to have good bass across moss of the seats and not just a few seats consider 2 to 4 subwoofers.
4 subwoofers??
If I go with 2, what should be their position?

My suggestions :
- Go with Q Acoustics rather than Polk
- Ceiling speakers can be inexpensive - Polk does have decent ones
- Start with 1 sub (QA QB12 is excellent). You can add another later, if required
- If you need to reduce costs, consider bookshelves for fronts rather than towers

My suggestions :
- Go with Q Acoustics rather than Polk
- Ceiling speakers can be inexpensive - Polk does have decent ones
- Start with 1 sub (QA QB12 is excellent). You can add another later, if required
- If you need to reduce costs, consider bookshelves for fronts rather than towers
QB12 is a small sealed subwoofer which cannot produce enough SPL for this room size.
Ported sub is a must in this case.

17' X 23' X 10'
Hi please find the attached screen shots. If you keep your two subs at the front and back of the room in the center of the 24 foot width wall that should be ideal. You will achieve a very smooth bass response at the MLP.

For your projector, what size screen are you planning to use. That would make the decision easier to decide between the 7100 and 9400. The 7100 is brighter but does not do native 4k. The contrast ratio in the 9400 is far superior the 7100 and delivers a much better cinematic picture quality.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.16.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.16.49 PM.png
    331.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.16.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.16.55 PM.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.17.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.17.02 PM.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.17.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.17.10 PM.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.17.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.17.17 PM.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 26
Hi please find the attached screen shots. If you keep your two subs at the front and back of the room in the center of the 24 foot width wall that should be ideal. You will achieve a very smooth bass response at the MLP.

For your projector, what size screen are you planning to use. That would make the decision easier to decide between the 7100 and 9400. The 7100 is brighter but does not do native 4k. The contrast ratio in the 9400 is far superior the 7100 and delivers a much better cinematic picture quality.

Hope this helps.
How are the surface absorptions levels so high in these graphs?

How are the surface absorptions levels so high in these graphs?
When we say Surface absorptions many things can be considered. For example you don't need to treat 70 percent of your back wall with treatment. Even your seating can be considered an absorber. This is just an approximation that we need to add a larger percentage of the rear wall absorptive then reflective. These graphs won't tell you which particular sections of the wall need treatment and what treatment is required. For that we would need to create an acoustic analysis and treatment design. What is important to read from the graphs is the advantage of putting two subs and if placed correctly and with the correct room treatment what kind of frequency response is achievable.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back