Home theatre setup 5.1 in 3.5 lakhs

ItsBabu

Hello HT Experts and Enthusiasts,

I want to build my first home theatre in a hall, that is L shape. Plan is to cut the L into rectangle using Acoustic curtains. Room dimentions.PNG
I had a demo of Wharfedale 12.4 package in Bangalore and I liked the sound signature. They gave me a quote as below for 5.1 setup. Subwoofer is 12". they forgot to change in image.

Wharfedale HT Package.PNG

Is it really a good deal and HT setup?
Shall I go for Denon AVR X2800 instead?
Is there any better option with in 3.5 lakh budget?

Sorry If I gave you less information here but I want to get the opinion of members here. Kindly give your suggestions.

Welcome to the forum and happy auditioning!!

I have a Wharfdale setup as well and have the 12.1 + 12.C + WH-DFS + WCM-65. I like the warm laidback sound of Wharfdales. Check.out more on my setup in my profile.

What is your intended alit for movies and music?

With a subwoofer in the mix, towers do not make that much sense, as the bass will be handled by the subwoofer. You can consider getting bookshelves instead 12.2.

I am not sure of the quality of Wharfdale subwoofers, and would suggest to look at other options from SVS, REL, Rythmic etc. Subwoofer doesn't need to match with the speakers. I got the REL HT/1003 MKII for my setup and very happy with it in my 17*10 + 5*10(L) room. My viewing is along the 10 feet.

If possible, add Atmos channels to the mix as well.

I think there is still scope for negotiation. I got my Wharfdale 12.1 from HifiMart for 32.5 and 12.C for 27.5 in May this year.

Do check.with them for the same.

Denon 2700 is the previous generation model and shouldn't be for much lower. Get quotes for speakers and AVR from multiple dealers, online and offline.

Agree that for a 5.1 setup, Floorstanders are not required. Go for bookshelver for Fronts and buy a better sub.

Also consider Q Acoustics speakers.

Welcome to the forum and happy auditioning!!

I have a Wharfdale setup as well and have the 12.1 + 12.C + WH-DFS + WCM-65. I like the warm laidback sound of Wharfdales. Check.out more on my setup in my profile.

What is your intended alit for movies and music?

With a subwoofer in the mix, towers do not make that much sense, as the bass will be handled by the subwoofer. You can consider getting bookshelves instead 12.2.

I am not sure of the quality of Wharfdale subwoofers, and would suggest to look at other options from SVS, REL, Rythmic etc. Subwoofer doesn't need to match with the speakers. I got the REL HT/1003 MKII for my setup and very happy with it in my 17*10 + 5*10(L) room. My viewing is along the 10 feet.

If possible, add Atmos channels to the mix as well.

I think there is still scope for negotiation. I got my Wharfdale 12.1 from HifiMart for 32.5 and 12.C for 27.5 in May this year.

Do check.with them for the same.

Denon 2700 is the previous generation model and shouldn't be for much lower. Get quotes for speakers and AVR from multiple dealers, online and offline.

Thank you so much, Suku_Patel_22 for your time and information.

70% movies : 30% music, mostly streaming content from Netflix, prime, Disney and music from Apple music.

I am currently having Benq TH585 Full HD projector and Firestick 3rd gen full HD which supports Dolby Atmos, True HD..etc. I planing to buy 4k TV with HDMI 2.1/eARC port in next couple of months.

I calculated with discount on Wharfedale from HifiMart but it's more than 3.5 lakhs. The quote from dealer above has 74000 discount on final price. They may reduce 5-10K if I bargain.

I will consider other subs(SVS, REL, Rythmic etc) as you suggested.

Not sure why X2800 comes for lesser price compared to X2700 online. I need to research more on this. Tanmay Mehta on YouTube mentioned that Denon has both US and EU version. US version is better than EU version. Any other recommendations on AVR?

Agree that for a 5.1 setup, Floorstanders are not required. Go for bookshelver for Fronts and buy a better sub.

Also consider Q Acoustics speakers.
Thanks, argho.

I will consider Q Acoustics as well.

Out of curiosity I am asking, what is the ideal scenario to use tower speakers. Are they good for 3.1 setup, especially for music?

Out of curiosity I am asking, what is the ideal scenario to use tower speakers. Are they good for 3.1 setup, especially for music?
Towers are more suited for very large rooms and mainly for music. For movies, the most important speakers in order are C followed by LR and then surrounds. Towers go to around 35-45hz, while a subwoofer will go to around 20-25. So in movies, the punch will be better. As all the bass is being handled by the sub (usually below 80hz , as recommended by THX), the towers aren't doing anything in that range. Plus, it is a headache to integrate bass coming from multiple sources.

Did you just check prices on the website? Contact them over a call and discuss your needs.

Last edited:
@suku_patel_22, @argho - You guys are amazing.

I am planning for below HT setup.

LR - Diamond 12.2
Centre - Diamond 12C
Surrounds - WH-DFS
Atoms - WCM65
AVR - Marantz SR5015/Denon x2800/x2700
SUB - REL HT/1205 MKII or SVS SB1000 Pro

Could you also suggest me where can I find acoustic curtains for my room. I cannot install acoustic panels as I'm staying in rented house. My owner is a nice guy and he allowed me to install projector and screen. I do not want to cross the line by drilling further more for acoustic treatment :)

You can get sound absorbing curtains from Ikea.

Example :

Also want say - do audition QA for HT.

For example :
Front L/RQ Acoustics 3020i / 3030i40,000
CentreQ Acoustics 3090Ci30,000
SurroundsQ Acoustics 3010i30,000
Sub wooferQ Acoustics QB121,00,000
These prices are without any negotiation or discount.

This would still leave you Rs 1.5 lacs for AVR + cables.

@suku_patel_22, @argho - You guys are amazing.

I am planning for below HT setup.

LR - Diamond 12.2
Centre - Diamond 12C
Surrounds - WH-DFS
Atoms - WCM65
AVR - Marantz SR5015/Denon x2800/x2700
SUB - REL HT/1205 MKII or SVS SB1000 Pro

Could you also suggest me where can I find acoustic curtains for my room. I cannot install acoustic panels as I'm staying in rented house. My owner is a nice guy and he allowed me to install projector and screen. I do not want to cross the line by drilling further more for acoustic treatment :)
Go with Sr 5015. It has 7 preouts. And you can add power amplifier . Iam using Sr 5015
With Klipsch 620f package.

Example :

For example :

Seems IKEA curtains are bit expensive :) but there is an option.
I watched comparison video of QA and WF. I felt that QA is bit brighter to my ears and WF is smooth. I will definitely go for QA audition to experience it in live environment. I heard good things about QB12 sub.

Go with Sr 5015. It has 7 preouts. And you can add power amplifier . Iam using Sr 5015
With Klipsch 620f package.
Thank you Phani24.

I watched couple of youtube comparison videos between Marantz SR5015 and X2700.

(watch from 7:35 mins)

Marantz SR5015 has
1. Less Jitter reduction
2. Better power output
3. 7 pre outs as you mentioned :)

Thank you Phani24.

I watched couple of youtube comparison videos between Marantz SR5015 and X2700.

(watch from 7:35 mins)

Marantz SR5015 has
1. Less Jitter reduction
2. Better power output
3. 7 pre outs as you mentioned :)
i too watched Tanmays videos 😂.
Consider klipsch speakers .Iam.Using with 5015.

Example :

For example :

Have the prices reduced for Q Acoustics ? 3030i costed me 60k.

Thanks for the suggestion. How is after sales service of REL and who is authorized online dealer?
I bought my REL from ACE AV solutions, Bangalore. Interaction, price, after sales service have been pretty good so far. I am not sure if they have an online presence, but you can contact them on their site.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back