Anybody using ethernet Cat 8 cable?

amit11

Hi Friends,

i was interested to know if anybody is using lan cable cat8?

I was reading that cat7 is good, but cat7 has not been widely accepted and then cat 8 came into picture. currently i have a normal cat 5E cable and i was thinking to buy a new one.

I have never purchased any special lan cable for my audio system but i did try 2-3 cables which were lying around at home, and yes each had its own sound signature. It may not be a day-night difference but it was certainly there to some extent. hence getting curious that if i purchase a new cable then should i go for cat 8?

amit11.

Cat8 is designed for the high-speed switch to switch communication in a data center. Plus, the heavier gauge Cat8 cable is quite rigid, making it more difficult to install and terminate. A better, more cost-effective choice for a "future-proofed" home network would be Cat6 or Cat6a cable.

Thanks. i would not be using it for long networking inside home. my requirement is only a short cable , 1 metre or 2 metre max.
i want to connect wifi repeater lan output to raspberry pi.

Thanks. i would not be using it for long networking inside home. my requirement is only a short cable , 1 metre or 2 metre max.
I'm using 4 of them, 1m each. One from Router to NAS, Other 3 from Desktop Switch to Apple TV 4k, Cxn v2 and Music PC. They're much better SQ wise compared to Cat 7 from Amazon, I'll never go back. It's the cheapest upgrade you can provide to your Streaming devices.
The SQ details are much better on tidal etc , Weight in the tone improves a lot , The Upgrade is much more clearly evident in streamed Movies on Netflix and AP, go for it.

With cat 8 you will be able to run a data center :)
AFAIK, Cat 6 and above is required for high speed (1Gbps and up).
With ISP speeds at 100-200Mbps and internal network (Wifi) at 300-600Mbps, cat5/e should suffice.
Use a good quality cable cat 5/e and above.
If possible, make it wired all the way (which will limit it to 100Mbps likely because of router limits).

Cheers,
Raghu

With cat 8 you will be able to run a data center :)
AFAIK, Cat 6 and above is required for high speed (1Gbps and up).
With ISP speeds at 100-200Mbps and internal network (Wifi) at 300-600Mbps, cat5/e should suffice.
Use a good quality cable cat 5/e and above.
If possible, make it wired all the way (which will limit it to 100Mbps likely because of router limits).

Cheers,
Raghu
With ISP speeds above 100 you would need CAT6, right?

I have also tried a few ethernet cables for the "last" leg going into the streamer. They do make a difference. Currently am using the Triode Wire Labs cable.

Have read some reports stating that for hifi cat6 is better, as Cat7 or 8 have shielding, which might not be ideal for the sound.

I recently made a DIY Cat7 cable using a Viablue cable with Telegartner connectors. It didn't sound as good as my Triode Wire Labs cable. But then I checked the continuity, and there was a problem with one of the conductors :( Need to order some more Telegartner connerctors to redo this experiment.

Buy some good branded Cat 6 cable, which is more than sufficient for home data transfer. AMP is a good brand popular in the datacenter and workstation wiring as well as patching.

My understanding and intention of trying cat8 cable is not for speed.
Rather it is more to do with the "noise" which could be getting transferred to the receiving end, and creating the small differences in sound.
I know ethernet is kind of galvanically isolated but i also read that still the noise can get transferred and create 'electrical noise' at the receiving end. However small it may be.

So a shielded cable might be useful, or can create negative impact as someone mentioned. But in any case my intention for cat8 is not the speed. The intention is 'less noise'.

Yes.

Please refer the thread below for additional information.

Do we have to purchase 2 convertors? One for transmitting side and one for receiving side?
Yes u need gigabit media converter or sfp module which is available in diff speeds 1gbps 10gbps 40gbps and more and u need a switch to accept that and fibre for home is over kill unless single length of cable is more than 100 m u can consider fibre.
U cant see any difference in terms of packets loss or speed between cat 6 and cat 7 a normal cat 5e can transmit 1gpbs..if u consider about electrical noise and laying both ethernet wire and other wires like electrical or audio in same pipe to avoid electrical noise u can go for fibre put it is a expensive choice since u cannot join fibre like ethernet u need to rent a expert who can charge u for 400-500₹ per joint (splicing) put its future proof u can switch to any speed from 1gpbs-100gbps or more u dont need to change the wire only need to swap the sfp modules in both ends.

i want to connect wifi repeater lan output to raspberry pi.
Well, CAT 8 was designed keeping the following objectives in mind:-
  1. To reach 100 Gbps speed, it can go up to 80 Gbps over 15 meters (up to 40Gbps over 30 meters).
  2. To handle very high data throughput of the order of Tera Bytes.
  3. To reduce 'near-end crosstalk' making it a suitable candidate for crowded data center installations.
That said, you don't have a valid use case to use them at home, your network is either capped by ISP (100/200 Mbps) or the NIC on the devices (1Gbps). All you need is a good quality of CAT 6/a cable to future proof your home network.

Well, CAT 8 was designed keeping the following objectives in mind:-
  1. To reach 100 Gbps speed, it can go up to 80 Gbps over 15 meters (up to 40Gbps over 30 meters).
  2. To handle very high data throughput of the order of Tera Bytes.
  3. To reduce 'near-end crosstalk' making it a suitable candidate for crowded data center installations.
That said, you don't have a valid use case to use them at home, your network is either capped by ISP (100/200 Mbps) or the NIC on the devices (1Gbps). All you need is a good quality of CAT 6/a cable to future proof your home network.
ok... and should the cat6 / a be shielded or non shielded? some day shielded may do more harm than reduce

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back