Anyone digitizing their CD music collection?

Progress report...

Thus far since starting this project, I’ve ripped about 400 CD’s. That’s in addition to the other 1180+ CD’s I’ve ripped over the years (originally was only ripping favorites). That currently leaves about 1100 left.

I’m ripping between 30-60 CD’s a day, but if I just did 30 a day with approximately 1100 CD’s left, I’d be done in about 37 days. The rips are done using dBpoweramp encoded in uncompressed FLAC.

I’m doing this on my backup machine using two internal DVD/Blu-Ray drives (Blu-Ray is LG, and Lite-On DVD writer). Time per CD is anywhere from 2-15 minutes depending on CD (and presumably DRM). The Rip process is using dBpoweramp with correct for errors enabled. DSP filters are HDCD (detect HDCD’s) and bit depth between 16-bit and 24-bit.

Anyway, I’ll be happy when I’m done, and happier when it’s done.

Until then…

Last edited:
Final Update...

Finally finished the task of digitizing all my CD's. Discarding (not bothering to rip) some clear and obvious junk, I now have 2500 whole CD's listed in my JRiver Media Player...

Drews CD Collection.png

Total HDD space used... 1.42TB of fully uncompressed (wave size) files!!

All done now. From here on out all I have to do is rip any new stuff I buy, or I can just start buying hi-res downloadable music :)

Last edited:
CONGRATS! MIOM.... Must feel Good now that the work is down.

You are now at another cross road... sit back and enjoy what you have ripped... or expand your hobby to becoming a (ripped) Music collector. :)

I have been collecting Rips for years and today I own (in addition to CD Rips):
  • Approx 1 TB of Hi Res (24 bit) albums ... approx 830 Hi Res Music Albums.

• Approx 1 TB of DSD (mostly SACD Rips).... approx 454 albums.

I have several Rock Classic Albums (eg Fleetwood Mac & Dire Straits) in multiple formats : 16/44 wav, 24/96, 24/192 & SACD (DSD 64). Allows me to compare different formats ... theoretically, though I do suspect that many SACDs are a different mastering altogether......

On my set up, and to my ears:

(PCM) Hi Res Music sounds more Stop & Go, More Etched, More Staccato, more "In Your Face"..... some may probably call it more PRAT. These characteristics seems to increase as you go into higher Res eg from 24/96 to 24/192.

A bit of an unexplained surprise for me.... DVD-A files are 24/96 but sound distinctly superior to HiRes 24-96 files, even those from HD Tracks (some allege that even HD Tracks has some fake up-sampled "Hi-Res" files). infact DVD-A rips are my Best sounding PCM HiRes files

SACD is completely different ... In many ways the complete opposite of PCM Hi Res.... Smooth, Relaxed & Laid back, with a lot of detail despite the laid back presentation.

While both Hi Res & SACDs enthralled me for a while, today, I feel that a well ripped 16/44 wav file offers the best balance of HiRes, SACD & CD (16/44) formats, and its my Go-To for serious listening.

Ofcourse ... YMMV ;)

CONGRATS! MIOM.... Must feel Good now that the work is down.

You are now at another cross road... sit back and enjoy what you have ripped... or expand your hobby to becoming a (ripped) Music collector. :)
Thanks,

Since I love music, I'll always have a physical collection (just more selective) so anything I buy will also be ripped, but at the same time, I'll also be looking to purchase downloadable (no "mp3") music where possible, so either way my digital collection will always be expanding :)

Thanks for the tips.

Much is said about Plextor being the ultimate CD Drive.

Incidentally, Plextor no longer makes a dedicated CD drive, its positions its DVD Drive as a CD + DVD drive. Do keep in mind that the CD & DVD recordable discs are rather different animals. The CDR hold approx 700 MB the DVD packs in 4.7 GB is the same size of disc. The Spiral dimensions and pit sizes of CDs & DVDs are completely different. All DVD drives are backward compatible with CDs but clearly they have not been optimised for CDs, else they would not handle DVDs :(

The brand certainly has a huge fan following. My experience with Plextor is about a decade old and not worth much today, but FWIW.....

I bought a Plextor CD (Not DVD) Drive on a business trip to Spore. At that time, the Plextor (at Sim Lim ) cost more than Twice the price of a generic CD drive in India. It was an internal Drive and replaced my Sony internal Drive on my Windows PC. I used EAC to rip and I think, Nero to burn... though not sure about the burning software I used.

I was an active member of the Hi-Fi Forum then hosted on Yahoo (Now shut down). Incidentally, that forum was the predecessor of this forum.
There was a thread on CD Ripping & Burning, and proud of my Plextor, I ran tests on the C1 & C2 errors (mainly C2 errors) on the original and burnt CDRs, via the Plextor and my old, vanilla Sony. I was surprised at the results (which I posted on the forum)... The Plextor's CDRs were no better than the Sony :oops:. (I forget the software I used a decade ago for detecting C2 errors. If archives of the earlier forum are still there, you wil find details there)

The Story ends with my Plextor giving up the Ghost after a little over a year's use... The Sony Went on .... I have never sort out a Plextor again.

There are Many Reviews declaring "The Best Drives".... Here is one from LIFEWIRE:

Plextor gets the (consolation?) prize for being the Quietest Drive ....

There are ofcourse SO Many such reviews, each putting out their list. One thing in common inb Drive shootouts, seems to be that Plextor does not get the Top Slot (maybe I am wrong?)
I used to use sony as well. They were well regarded as cd drives.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back