Anyone else using Xbox as OTT Streamer for sound quality?

ankitbhargava

I have been experimenting with various Media Players/Streaming devices and to everyone's surprise (including myself), Xbox One S came out as best for me in terms of Sound Quality.

The Atmos is most of the times bang on with the overhead effects and even the upscaling from 5.1 or DD+ content to Atmos is very immersive and realistic.

I have done thorough comparison with same scene being played across the devices and found Xbox to be way better than Shield Pro, Firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K at least.

Not only does Netflix outputs best sound quality but also other services like Prime and Apple TV+ sounds best with Xbox

I have suggested trying Xbox in various forums and every time I have been argued widely that Xbox is not even in the race. :))

I wanted opinion of members here and specially the ones who like me use Xbox for OTT streaming.

I am with you on this one, the dynamics and sound quality is certainly next level on the Xbox.

Just after you posted this thread I did a quick A/B comparison of how different the Shield and the Xbox sounds.
Money Heist Season 5 first episode initial 1-2 minutes are good enough to tell the difference between the two, even a normal person who is not used to it can tell the difference.

Xbox has lot of grunt, meat and body and then the Shield sounds thinner.

I don't know which is the actual recording or how one should really sound, the xbox way or the nvidia shield way.

Xbox might have better inbuilt DAC as it was built for entertainment purpose, and the new games coming out support Atmos.

Time to make a test video ;)

I tried after reading about this in other threads, definitely sounds very good (I use Fire tv4K, Apple TV 4K and Jio 4K STB). Somehow I couldn't get the video to work in HDR from Xbox one S when connected to AVR and then swiftly reverted back to Apple TV. Time to try again with different settings and cables this weekend.

Last edited:
@ankitbhargava - yes - I have compared both Xbox series S/X with ATV4K and every time the Xbox were better, and not just the sound mind you, I also feel the contrast was a lot better on Series S. I sold my series s as I was hardly using it, but it is a great media console once you get the media remote too.

***I watched a bunch of movies - Grand Budapest Hotel, KingKong 2005, GreyHound, The Book Thief, Isle of Dogs & JoJo rabbit with multiple scenes doing A/B on both Series S and ATV4K. Mind you testing methodology not being very scientific as gain matching/volume matching etc etc not being a priority and all being done by the ear. Series S was outstanding for all these movies - specially the surround effects. The water hammering against the ship in the high seas of greyhound was impossibly real and gave me the jumps a few times. The rain in the movie made me look out the window a few times to check if it is raining outside as well - it wasn't? That is saying something. In Grand Budapest hotel, Isle of dogs the same applies, the dialogues and music were very crisp and even subtle sounds appear that are somewhat lost amongst other louder sounds in ATV4K.

I also watched 2 of these on Xbox Series X where OTT content from streaming services was pretty much on par with Series S, couldn't tell any difference if there was any, but BR of Grand Budapest Hotel & KingKong were a different experience, but it is obviously not an apples to apples comparison. So I will leave that out.

I have been experimenting with various Media Players/Streaming devices and to everyone's surprise (including myself), Xbox One S came out as best for me in terms of Sound Quality.

The Atmos is most of the times bang on with the overhead effects and even the upscaling from 5.1 or DD+ content to Atmos is very immersive and realistic.

I have done thorough comparison with same scene being played across the devices and found Xbox to be way better than Shield Pro, Firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K at least.

Not only does Netflix outputs best sound quality but also other services like Prime and Apple TV+ sounds best with Xbox

I have suggested trying Xbox in various forums and every time I have been argued widely that Xbox is not even in the race. :))

I wanted opinion of members here and specially the ones who like me use Xbox for OTT streaming.
Yes , I have heard in xbox sounds better as it has 3D Spatial Sound. But for gaming and OS interface xbox is not a good investment.

Xbox has lot of grunt, meat and body and then the Shield sounds thinner.
That sums up very well my observation too :)
But using the controller for operating it is cumbersome.how do you manage.
Got used to the Controller though my usage is limited to picking the play it. Other controls are on voice using Google, IFTTT and Harmony Hub.
@ankitbhargava - yes - I have compared both Xbox series S/X with ATV4K and every time the Xbox were better, and not just the sound mind you, I also feel the contrast was a lot better on Series S. I sold my series s as I was hardly using it, but it is a great media console once you get the media remote too.

***I watched a bunch of movies - Grand Budapest Hotel, KingKong 2005, GreyHound, The Book Thief, Isle of Dogs & JoJo rabbit with multiple scenes doing A/B on both Series S and ATV4K. Mind you testing methodology not being very scientific as gain matching/volume matching etc etc not being a priority and all being done by the ear. Series S was outstanding for all these movies - specially the surround effects. The water hammering against the ship in the high seas of greyhound was impossibly real and gave me the jumps a few times. The rain in the movie made me look out the window a few times to check if it is raining outside as well - it wasn't? That is saying something. In Grand Budapest hotel, Isle of dogs the same applies, the dialogues and music were very crisp and even subtle sounds appear that are somewhat lost amongst other louder sounds in ATV4K.

I also watched 2 of these on Xbox Series X where OTT content from streaming services was pretty much on par with Series S, couldn't tell any difference if there was any, but BR of Grand Budapest Hotel & KingKong were a different experience, but it is obviously not an apples to apples comparison. So I will leave that out.
What great summary :)
Actually some rain scenes make you believe that its raining, I swear!
The overall weight in those mid bass sounds, dialogues and background sounds is way more accentuated and balanced using Xbox.
I am thinking to upgrade to Series S, you recommend?

Yes , I have heard in xbox sounds better as it has 3D Spatial Sound. But for gaming and OS interface xbox is not a good investment.
Yes, for me the only purpose of Xbox is using its as OTT Streamer.

Sound will be almost similar ane identical on all Xbox devices like One S, One X, Series S or Series X.

I have used all above except for Series S, never felt the difference and the shortages of these new consoles are real, you might not be able to get one within a month or two.

No need of upgrading for just streaming OTT.
As for games I have tonn of backlog, Gamepass is just delivering games over games every month. But that is other topic.

Is there a separate settings for that to be enabled?

Also does the video gets upscaled? This was one big decision for me to consider Nvidia shield before buying Xbox Series S

Also does the video gets upscaled? This was one big decision for me to consider Nvidia shield before buying Xbox Series S

You need to download the dolby app from store and enable atmos it through settings. Tons of YouTube videos showing how to.

Xbox vs Nvidia shield both have pros and cons.
Xbox has better dynamics over OTT and games, but cannot play True HD or MA from a hard disk yet.

Nvidia on other hand will play from HDD and at full codec support, but the OTT content is kind of thinner.

Nvidia will be a better overall device, xbox can be used to play games additionally.

@ankitbhargava by any chance did you compare how TV sounds comparatively?

Just need the Dolby App

You need to download the dolby app from store and enable atmos it through settings. Tons of YouTube videos showing how to.

Xbox vs Nvidia shield both have pros and cons.
Xbox has better dynamics over OTT and games, but cannot play True HD or MA from a hard disk yet.

Nvidia on other hand will play from HDD and at full codec support, but the OTT content is kind of thinner.

Nvidia will be a better overall device, xbox can be used to play games additionally.

@ankitbhargava by any chance did you compare how TV sounds comparatively?
Thats why I have Xbox and Shield both
I never tried comparing the TV sounds. I can do that on my Kid's Room setup.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back