Anyone heard about these - 15" Victors

Lionx

Need help from experts here to find details about my recent scrap yard find. These are from a theater once existed somewhere near Palakkad, Kerala which had some rare beauties. These eventually reached a scrap dealer who had no idea what was he dealing with and scrapped many for just for metal weight. I managed to save a 15inch Bolton (discussed here Bolton), Altec Lancing 288, Photo phone compression driver and these 2 Victors.
While all others are in decent shape, the Victors had taken some beatings and I am expecting reconning. But it would be really helpful to understand what are these known for before taking that decision hence this thread.
The Victor,
IMG-20181224-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181224-WA0001.jpg

The others, sad that I was not lucky to get the pairs.
IMG-20181224-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20181224-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20181224-WA0005.jpg

Cheers,
Sumith

Hi,

The Victor 15 inch woofers were made by Victor Japan (JVC) a subsidiary of RCA under licence. They are similar ( not same)to the RCA MI 9449 woofers. These are the Alnico magnet version.

Good woofers. The RCA MI 9449 are comparable to the Altec 515.

The Altec 288K is a very good driver. Check if the diaphragm is OK and original. Can't make out the Photophone driver.Do you have another picture?
Photophone was the name under which RCA theatre products were sold outside of the USA.

The horn is a 1505 Altec horn. It is most likely a copy of the original Altec horn made in India, but there is a good chance that it may be original Altec.
Picture from another angle will help.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv for the much needed insight, 288 seems to be with original diaphragm and sounding very nice. Photophone model number is IM 1419E, didn't find any other details on it.

Regarding the horn 1505, i believe it's made in india but how can we check. Do you know what to check so that I will post the pic accordingly.

Hi,

The Victor 15 inch woofers were made by Victor Japan (JVC) a subsidiary of RCA under licence. They are similar ( not same)to the RCA MI 9449 woofers. These are the Alnico magnet version.

Good woofers. The RCA MI 9449 are comparable to the Altec 515.

The Altec 288K is a very good driver. Check if the diaphragm is OK and original. Can't make out the Photophone driver.Do you have another picture?
Photophone was the name under which RCA theatre products were sold outside of the USA.

The horn is a 1505 Altec horn. It is most likely a copy of the original Altec horn made in India, but there is a good chance that it may be original Altec.
Picture from another angle will help.

Regards
Rajiv
Some pics of the horn,
IMG-20181224-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20181224-WA0019.jpg

Hi,

I suspect India made Altec Clones. Any other pictures of the Photophone driver?
Photophone used different drivers in India with RCA theatre equipment. I have seen Vitavox S3's Labled as Photophone. RCA themselves used JBL 175's as the HF driver in some smaller theater systems.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I suspect India made Altec Clones. Any other pictures of the Photophone driver?
Photophone used different drivers in India with RCA theatre equipment. I have seen Vitavox S3's Labled as Photophone. RCA themselves used JBL 175's as the HF driver in some smaller theater systems.

Regards
Rajiv
Photo phone
IMG-20181224-WA0004.jpg

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back