Apple Airport Express Base Station as Music Player source

manniraj

I am planning to get this device thru one of my friends in Frankfurt. I have a yamaha 571 which does not have the ethernet port to play music files remotely. I am planning to use this as the base station and connect to my existing wireless router as a repeater/extender and connect the RCA cable to my receiver and use my upcoming ipad2 to play music remotely.

Not sure how about the quality of the music when played it this way, but going thru the reviews it seems to be a good option. It also has a USB port so I can connect a external HDD to play music files I suppose.

Your valuable comments are required.

Thanks in advance

I don't think it plays music off the HDD directly. It makes the HDD available on network for other devices to use as Storage (like NAS). Secondly, research throroughly about its compatibility with non-Apple routers. At my cousins, it works great with an Airport Extreme Router.

It can be easily used to either play your ipad music wirelessly or just act as controller. If you have a Mac running HomeShare then it will play the entire itunes library also through Airplay, controlled via ipad / iphone.

If you are planning to keep music on ipad then you don't need anything. RX-V571 has ipod/iphone compatible USB port. Try using that first. It shows On-screen and can be controlled via Yamaha remote. You just need your ipad/ipod USB cable.

I don't think it plays music off the HDD directly. It makes the HDD available on network for other devices to use as Storage (like NAS). Secondly, research throroughly about its compatibility with non-Apple routers. At my cousins, it works great with an Airport Extreme Router.

It can be easily used to either play your ipad music wirelessly or just act as controller. If you have a Mac running HomeShare then it will play the entire itunes library also through Airplay, controlled via ipad / iphone.

If you are planning to keep music on ipad then you don't need anything. RX-V571 has ipod/iphone compatible USB port. Try using that first. It shows On-screen and can be controlled via Yamaha remote. You just need your ipad/ipod USB cable.

Thanks aashish for the quick response. Yes I have connected my ipod to the usb port of my 571 receiver. I am able to play the music but the only downside is that as the receiver is apple ipod/ipad compatible I get only the display as do not disconnect on my ipod and all the selection operations is done at the receiver end which I think is too small a display to locate the songs. I have to keep my tv on for this purpose. I am not sure how to make the song selection on my ipod directly rather than on the receiver. I do not see any option on the receiver unlike my car pioneer player where there is an option with a hand symbol which when clicked transfers the ownership to the ipod and I can choose the ipod to select/deselect. Otherwise if a ipad/ipod can be done the same with my 571 receiver then I do not think I need to go with the airport express station.

Thanks

I am planning to get this device thru one of my friends in Frankfurt. I have a yamaha 571 which does not have the ethernet port to play music files remotely. I am planning to use this as the base station and connect to my existing wireless router as a repeater/extender and connect the RCA cable to my receiver and use my upcoming ipad2 to play music remotely.

Not sure how about the quality of the music when played it this way, but going thru the reviews it seems to be a good option. It also has a USB port so I can connect a external HDD to play music files I suppose.

Your valuable comments are required.

Thanks in advance

Airport express works well with music streaming from any ios or osx device. you can connect using optical digital output from airport express to your receiver.

even i am not sure about the audio quality. when i played from my ios device to avr via apple tv the sound quality was not good. its better to audition with your friends before buying.

For playing music from AE harddisk, as aashish mentioned it make hard disk visible in network and disk should be in HFS format.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back