Apple music cast via Chromecast

Via Airplay I see apple music can cast upto 16 bit/44.1khz
That’s a common misunderstanding. What you see is not what you get in this case. The app shows lossless because it is downloading lossless to your mobile. But Airplay converts it to AAC (lossy) format. You’d be able to see that if your streamer displays the resolution and type of the signal it receives from the phone via Airplay.

The post by mbhangui should be sticky as in reddit. Apple music lossless is a half hearted attempt but fully obscured. It is not possible to go by what is displayed and better to believe in the ear.

Apple TV can't play lossless although the screen displays lossless. Its almost same quality as that of the browser. I am pretty sure the same would be applicable to thier Windows 11 app. I guess only iPhone and iPad can play lossless (not sure about the hi res part) because there is considerable difference in sound quality while playing through phone and through Apple TV. And then there is the Airplay part. Whether lossless music can be played over Airplay, I am not sure.

As can be seen, whether or not the lossless audio toggle is 'ON or 'OFF' the dac displays 44.1khz over airplay. This game of lossless audio introduced has done well to keep us busy with everything but the enjoyment of music. I still prefer to listen to youtube music for finding new music.

With the lossless audio toggle ON
PXL_20230504_100651512.jpg

With the lossless audio toggle OFF
PXL_20230504_100732621.jpg

With the lossless audio toggle ON
PXL_20230504_100921256.jpg

With the lossless audio toggle OFF
PXL_20230504_100826322.jpg

Apple TV can't play lossless although the screen displays lossless. Its almost same quality as that of the browser. I am pretty sure the same would be applicable to thier Windows 11 app. I guess only iPhone and iPad can play lossless (not sure about the hi res part) because there is considerable difference in sound quality while playing through phone and through Apple TV. And then there is the Airplay part. Whether lossless music can be played over Airplay, I am not sure.
Apple made Apple TV to play movies the best possible way. Apple TV is meant for movies and not for music. The movie industry uses 48kHz as the standard. See this https://blogs.uoregon.edu/uocinetech/recording-and-exporting-standards/audio-recording-standards/

for most people the real question is at what sample rate should they record?

Again there is no right answer but for most professionals the current benchmark is 48kHz. There are a number of reasons why 48kHz became the standard for film. The main reason is that 48kHz gives enough headroom to catch most higher frequencies on the audible spectrum. Also, 48000 is divisible – 24, 25, 30 and for interlaced television 50 or 60.

Now the thing about losless logo is misleading. The lossless logo indicates that the apple server is streaming the lossless version of the music file to the apple music app. It doesn't mean that's the version that gets finally played. I have discussed this here https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...using-yamaha-r-n303-rxv683.90923/post-1018333

This is another painstaking reasearch done by a guy. He goes on to say how people at Bluesound Note and others have to do so much in their streamers to clear the mess that apple is doing

Last edited:
If you are fixed on wireless Apple Music lossless, the best bet today is LDAC which supports up to 32bit/96kkz.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back