Apple TV 4K or DAC based setup

ukrisp

Hello,
I am looking for suggestion to play my itunes music source (subscription based). Below are the two options I am exploring
Option 1 : IPad/Mac/Win10 + itunes -> DAC -> AVR -> ELAC F5 (DAC to AVR via Analog or SPDIF)
Or
Option 2 : Apple TV 4K -> AVR -> ELAC F5 (Apple TV to AVR via HDMI)

Will a DAC based setup provide advantage in hearing experience over the apple TV based setup ?

Thanks

./ukris

I’m looking advise for the same idea.
Does the op2 work well? iphone(iTunes)➡️ AppleTv3rd gen➡️AVR➡️Speakers .

Hello,
I am looking for suggestion to play my itunes music source (subscription based). Below are the two options I am exploring
Option 1 : IPad/Mac/Win10 + itunes -> DAC -> AVR -> ELAC F5 (DAC to AVR via Analog or SPDIF)
Or
Option 2 : Apple TV 4K -> AVR -> ELAC F5 (Apple TV to AVR via HDMI)

Will a DAC based setup provide advantage in hearing experience over the apple TV based setup ?

Thanks

./ukris
Note, apple tv will resample to 48 khz.
I have both apple tv 3rd generation and 4th generation. I did not like the sound. Atv 4 has only hdmi out.atv 3 has spdif separately for audio.

Coming to airport express, i have the oldest model and latest aswell. The oldest model is the best but hard to get.i had somehow managed to get second hand.

Note, apple tv will resample to 48 khz.
I have both apple tv 3rd generation and 4th generation. I did not like the sound. Atv 4 has only hdmi out.atv 3 has spdif separately for audio.

Coming to airport express, i have the oldest model and latest aswell. The oldest model is the best but hard to get.i had somehow managed to get second hand.

Thanks for your note on Atv resampling. Including a DAC in the chain seems to be benificial. Will persue this route and try to get some auditions done.

Thanks

Either a full fledged DAC+pre amp or even a basic outboard DAC like Audiofly would have my vote. You can easily upgrade other components easily from there and since there are no moving parts and if you get 24/192 processing, the risk of quick obsolescence is minimal

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back