Ar xa turntable and micro seikie mr 103 .New additions

kuruvilajacob

Hi folks,

I just got a AR XA Turntable along with ADC XLM MK III cartridge. And this came it its original packing with the factory certificate. It's arm appears to be the stock arm. Of course, it ill need to be serviced before being commissioned. The other addition is a rare Micro Seikie MR-103 idler wheel player. The only idler ever made by them. I removed the platter and placed them on bricks (inspiration from Santhosh). It sounds more open after they are placed on bricks. The motor still has some vibration and the vibration is also coming on to the arm. Perhaps, some FMs can help me solve these problems.

I am posting a few pics of AR TT. More pics of Micro Seikie on bricks will follow

Regards
kuruvilajacob

Last edited:
kuruvilajacob, Congrats!

How would you rate these sonically among the rest of your TT collection?

Congrats!

The AR-XA is the grandfather of the Linn, Ariston and other suspension turntables. It was said that you could strike a hammer down on the plinth while a record was playing without the stylus skipping a groove. The only drawback, reportedly, was the less-than-stellar tonearm. It's directly coupled to the suspension, and because of its unusual mounting, cannot be easily replaced by other tonearms.

Looking forward to the Micro-Seiki pictures.

I also have a AR the Turntable with RB 251 tonearm which is the best TT to listen to country music and slow numbers. The Micro Seikie is just starting to perform on it's new platform . I am still trying different alternatives to see which gives the best results with least feedback. I will post some pictures of Micro Seiki

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I just got a AR XA Turntable along with ADC XLM MK III cartridge. And this came it its original packing with the factory certificate. It's arm appears to be the stock arm. Of course, it ill need to be serviced before being commissioned. The other addition is a rare Micro Seikie MR-103 idler wheel player. The only idler ever made by them. I removed the platter and placed them on bricks (inspiration from Santhosh). It sounds more open after they are placed on bricks. The motor still has some vibration and the vibration is also coming on to the arm. Perhaps, some FMs can help me solve these problems.

I am posting a few pics of AR TT. More pics of Micro Seikie on bricks will follow

Regards
kuruvilajacob

Congrats on your acquisitions. I remember this AR turntable distinctly from my childhood. My dad used to take me along when he used to visit a friend of his (some old timers in Trivandrum may know this man, Sundara Vardanan otherwise called Mony) and he had this turntable. If I remember correctly, it had an "AR" label on the left side of the front.

Nice TTs Kuruvilla Sir. The AR seems to be in very good nick. Congrats.

I got better results (improved resolution, focus and bass) when I used cones and footers between the top plate and the bricks. The cones have been stuck to the top plate using Blutack. Similarly, the footers have been stuck to the bricks using Blutack. The cones couple the TT to the bricks, giving it a similar effect as using a heavy plinth. In a way, it is a type of CLD (Constrained Layer Damping).

Santhosh,

I have placed the TT directly on the brick with minimum contact with brick and surprisingly, it is position I found with least vibration. I will try cones with metal footers I got from Murthy and see how it goes.Thanks Santhosh

Congrats on your acquisitions. I remember this AR turntable distinctly from my childhood. My dad used to take me along when he used to visit a friend of his (some old timers in Trivandrum may know this man, Sundara Vardanan otherwise called Mony) and he had this turntable. If I remember correctly, it had an "AR" label on the left side of the front.

This does not have the label on the left side front but my AR The turntable has such an emblem on the left hand front side. Perhaps you may have seen that model. That player is with my brother. I will post a pic of that to see if tha's the player you saw at Moni's place. BTW, someone brought me an amp originally made by Mr.Moni for changing the speaker inputs.

This does not have the label on the left side front but my AR The turntable has such an emblem on the left hand front side. Perhaps you may have seen that model. That player is with my brother. I will post a pic of that to see if tha's the player you saw at Moni's place. BTW, someone brought me an amp originally made by Mr.Moni for changing the speaker inputs.

Thanks, will look forward to the pics. Mr. Mony was the big guy in audio in Trivandrum in the 1970s and 1980s. He had a full fledged service center and could fix anything. I will try to drive by his home over next weekend and check if he is still around.

The AR XA is alive and kicking! Even if you use a hammer to tap the plinth, there is absolutely no feedback. I am really surprised with the quality of the player with the ADC cartridge. The player is really sounding sharp and with excellent details. I am really satisfied. A lot of effort was needed to get the player well earthed. Once, it was done, the player really excelled. Can easily be compared with the best. I am posting pics of player in action
kuruvilajacob

Last edited:
Did you have to change the belt? I am asking because I have a source for an AR XB. Its in US and probably 110v 60hz. Will it work okay with a step down transformer?

It will work with a step up transformer . But you may need to find suitable belt to get correct speed since it is 60 hz. I will confirm whether company provides tapping for 110v and 220v

You will need 50hz pulley for India.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes, Sachin is right. But, it may not be possible to get a 50hz pulley. So the next best will be to use a belt that will give you the correct speed. I checked with my players and it is clearly mentioned that they are 220v 50 hz settings and made in England. I think they used to manufacture both in US and G.Britain

Yes, Sachin is right. But, it may not be possible to get a 50hz pulley. So the next best will be to use a belt that will give you the correct speed. I checked with my players and it is clearly mentioned that they are 220v 50 hz settings and made in England. I think they used to manufacture both in US and G.Britain

Belt setting cannot change speeds. Only the diameter of the wheels on which the belt is strung need to vary to change the speed. Hence the pulley is required to be changed or the motor speed needs to be changed. Belt change will not help.

Thank you Kuruvila, Sachin and Anilva. For your quick replies. I am going to as the seller to check for the tappings. Btw, Anilva, I have read in several places, that changing the size of the belt, also changes the speed. So Mr, Jacob is right.

Belt size will not change speed. A loose belt will slip and a tight belt will put pressure on bearing which ultimately will produce more noise. Tight belt will also put more load on motor which may very minutely decrease speed. Both cases not good in the long run.
I made a DIY brass pulley (probably for Philips player) at local lathewala. It cost me 150 Rs. If you can manage to extract the pulley you can very well make new one for 50hz. As mine didn't had screw to tighten it to the motor shaft, I put the pulley under candle heat to extract it. there are some risk involved so take expert guidance.
Regards

Belt size will not change speed. A loose belt will slip and a tight belt will put pressure on bearing which ultimately will produce more noise. Tight belt will also put more load on motor which may very minutely decrease speed. Both cases not good in the long run.
I made a DIY brass pulley (probably for Philips player) at local lathewala. It cost me 150 Rs. If you can manage to extract the pulley you can very well make new one for 50hz. As mine didn't had screw to tighten it to the motor shaft, I put the pulley under candle heat to extract it. there are some risk involved so take expert guidance.
Regards

Altering the pulley size is also employed by some to correct speed. In general, belt cannot correct speed by itself but slight difference in speed can be achieved with change of belt specially in many of the AC motor Japanese belt drive players in my experience

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back