Arcam Solo 2.1

r_swami

Hello Everbody,
This is my first post. Would appreciate some feedback on Arcam solo 2.1.
I plan to use this mainly for music and occasionally for movies.
I will be using it in a 12 X 12 ft room with lot of furniture and hence also need advice on a pair of matching book shelf speakers for Arcam solo. Is there any other compact system I should consider before deciding?

Hello Everbody,
This is my first post. Would appreciate some feedback on Arcam solo 2.1.
I plan to use this mainly for music and occasionally for movies.
I will be using it in a 12 X 12 ft room with lot of furniture and hence also need advice on a pair of matching book shelf speakers for Arcam solo. Is there any other compact system I should consider before deciding?

Swami:

The Arcam Solo 2.1 is an interesting concept. I see it as an attempt to produce a high end version of a DVD based 2-in-1 without the speakers. And Arcam seems to have succeeded quite well with both its 2.1 and 5.1 Solos.

The Solo 2.1 DVD Player comes from Arcam's high end players and plays CD, SD DVD, DVD-A, and SACD.

The Solo 2.1 is reputed to produce audiophile grade sound from Redbook CDs. The only issue will be the downgrading of 5.1 surround sound to 2.1

For speakers, you must look for bookshelves that can be driven at 50 watts. You may also need a sub woofer. Some of the speakers you can look at are:

1. Arcam's own Muso/Logo
2. Wharfedales
3. Mordaunt Short
4. Tannoy
5. Quad
6. Dynaudio
7. B&W

In terms of other systems, everything depends upon your needs and the quality of music you are looking for. If you looking for a system that has DVD Player and integrated 2.1 amp in the same unit, very few systems may be able to match the sound quality of the Arcams. If you are ready to look at separate systems, you will have a number of other choices.

Cheers

Last edited:
rs, this is one interesting area. I really like things being compact and all in one. The other choices you have are :
1. Arcam itself has a Solo mini, Solo Music, Solo Movie 2.1 and Solo Movie 5.1
2. NAD Viso 2 or Viso 5, they also have some L73 or something like that. But, Viso simply looks superb.
3. Cambridge Audio is coming out with one - Fusion. However, it will take few months before we get it. So. I assume that can be out of your equation. But, it will be the cheaper one.
4. Denon and Onkyo compete at the cheaper costs.
5. On the higher side you have Linn Classik and Primare's own.
I haven't heard any :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back