Are Apple music store songs Hi-Res/CD quality

sand87ch

I want the cd quality of certain songs which i dont have.The only source seems to be Apple store or maybe Qobuz.But Qobuz doesnt have it nor do HD tracks.

So if i bought them off itunes store are they cd quality or are they compressed lossy version.I see the songs are .m4a format and seems they are ALAC.Correct me if i am wrong.

I want the cd quality of certain songs which i dont have.The only source seems to be Apple store or maybe Qobuz.But Qobuz doesnt have it nor do HD tracks.

So if i bought them off itunes store are they cd quality or are they compressed lossy version.I see the songs are .m4a format and seems they are ALAC.Correct me if i am wrong.
I believe Streaming content from Apple Music or iTunes Match is delivered in 256k AAC format, not Apple Lossless.

I believe Streaming content from Apple Music or iTunes Match is delivered in 256k AAC format, not Apple Lossless.
no am speaking about the ones on the store that we can pay for and buy.are those lossless or lossy format!any idea

no am speaking about the ones on the store that we can pay for and buy.are those lossless or lossy format!any idea
those are 256kbps AAC. But very very well optimized encode. AFAIK For most part apple insists on 24bit 96k sampled masters from the vendor and does an optimised transcode. I have purchased quite a few before Apple Music, if you are listening to lossy, this is probably as good as it gets.

those are 256kbps AAC. But very very well optimized encode. AFAIK For most part apple insists on 24bit 96k sampled masters from the vendor and does an optimised transcode. I have purchased quite a few before Apple Music, if you are listening to lossy, this is probably as good as it gets.
any legal site in india to purchase lossless music?i hoped the apple store atleast wud have lossless music.waste of time and money

So if not apple music store where can i purchase legally good quality hindi songs?Qobuz doesnt seem to have most of them.Any other suggestions?

Which songs / albums are you looking for ?

Maybe you can rip it / them from a friend's CD, to get an idea of the quality.

any legal site in india to purchase lossless music?i hoped the apple store atleast wud have lossless music.waste of time and money
The Music titles released by HMV/SAREGAMA are available at Saregama india website for download, both in high and low resolutions. They are running now 70% off on all online download content. But the search feature in Saregama website is too worst.

The Music titles released by HMV/SAREGAMA are available at Saregama india website for download, both in high and low resolutions. They are running now 70% off on all online download content. But the search feature in Saregama website is too worst.
but r the ones on saregama which are mentioned as higher resolution actually cd quality.just read here smwhere smbody saying they r actually just mp3,320kbps type

So if not apple music store where can i purchase legally good quality hindi songs?Qobuz doesnt seem to have most of them.Any other suggestions?

This is my experience ( for others it may be different) but its fairly difficult. Can't comment on management quality of Saregama or other erstwhile Indian labels of today, but earlier, there was almost criminal negligence and apathy. There were news reports of the master tapes catching fungus and rotting in HMV vaults. And the many of the official CDs that were released, were very poor quality LP rips (like they did not even clean the LP before ripping). in the absence of good sources, any high res encoding is still going to sound, well, low res.

of course there are exceptions, this was one where some effort was made to clean up sound and slightly better production values.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-50-Glorious-Years-5-CD-Pack-/release/11683433

There will be others. And you will find Clean(ish) Hifi streams on Tidal. Don't only go by sampling rate and format. In many cases, it's not worth what you would pay for a high res recording. I would love to be corrected on this.

Edit: If you do find any good sources for High quality old Hindi music (vs simply high res) please do share on this thread.

Don't only go by sampling rate and format. In many cases, it's not worth what you would pay for a high res recording.
Agree with this. I’ve been often surprised by how much better a particular track sounds on the compressed Hungama stream or the 128 kbps Shanti Shanti internet radio station than on Tidal. Source material has a bigger effect on sound than resolution. Yet Tidal still provides an attractive (SQ + Res) proposition across its catalogue.

This is my experience ( for others it may be different) but its fairly difficult. Can't comment on management quality of Saregama or other erstwhile Indian labels of today, but earlier, there was almost criminal negligence and apathy. There were news reports of the master tapes catching fungus and rotting in HMV vaults. And the many of the official CDs that were released, were very poor quality LP rips (like they did not even clean the LP before ripping). in the absence of good sources, any high res encoding is still going to sound, well, low res.

of course there are exceptions, this was one where some effort was made to clean up sound and slightly better production values.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-50-Glorious-Years-5-CD-Pack-/release/11683433

There will be others. And you will find Clean(ish) Hifi streams on Tidal. Don't only go by sampling rate and format. In many cases, it's not worth what you would pay for a high res recording. I would love to be corrected on this.

Edit: If you do find any good sources for High quality old Hindi music (vs simply high res) please do share on this thread.
definitly will and as of now the only source i find is either used cds or maybe wobuz to an extent.i will try saregama.

on reditt
just saw that spotify is coming up with lossless hifi streaming this year.hope it launches here too

on reditt
just saw that spotify is coming up with lossless hifi streaming this year.hope it launches here too
Doubt it, they know India is a price conscious market so will launch here in 1-2 years, as Spotify came to India after many years after global launch. I wouldn't get to excited if i were you ;)

Doubt it, they know India is a price conscious market so will launch here in 1-2 years, as Spotify came to India after many years after global launch. I wouldn't get to excited if i were you ;)
exactly and they are idiots..Everyone in india is not tone deaf like they think

International companies take a while to understand the Indian market and get their game right. It doesn't mean they aren't interested in it. Look at Apple for example... they took over 10 years to move from no presence (when you could buy iPods and early iPhones only through unofficial channels) to franchise Apple Stores (Maple etc.) and Service center to eventually their own Online selling portal. They've also introduced models SE, Mini etc) for the price-conscious Indian consumer. That was 'products'... one expects this learning and transition to happen much quicker (3-5 years) for the service/platform-based businesses such as Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back