Are sterio receivers and sterio integerted Amps are same

S.P.KRISHNA

Is there any difference in quality of sound between a Sterio receiver and Sterio Integrated Amp as I am in a dilemma either to go for a Second sale / Demo Piece Marantz Sterio receiver SR 4021 ( Stereo Receiver with A/V switching capabilities ,80 Watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20Hz to 20kHz) with AM & FM Tuner,4 video outputs,Preamp out / Main in terminals) or to Opt for a new Denon Integrated Sterio Amplifier - PMA710 AE.( 50W+50W at 8 Ohms/85w+85w at4 Ohms. Marantz was Quoted for 19k and Denon 23k . I feel Marantz can drive towers easily at this wattage more than Denon which was at lower wattage . I request the members to suggest to me the better option in terms of Sterio quality.

Thanks in advance

A receiver is an amplifier with a tuner built in. The quality cannot be judged based on this.

Cheers

Dear Venkat,
I agree with you . I have auditioned Marantz receiver on Diamond 10.2 and B&W Book Shelves .Sound is very good in comparison with Norge 1000 and Pioneer , model I did not verify as I did not like its performance. Both norge and pioneer have heavy base in comparison when the Bass knob is at minimum . The tonal quality is clear in marantz. The show room do not have Denon for audition at that time and they say that it will be made avaiable on request for purchase. Hence I am not in a position to audition it.

If one verifies the prices of Sterio Receivers and Sterio Integrated amplifiers , the cost of receivers will be less than Integrated Amps. of same wattage. Why the receivers are less priced though they have more facilities in comparison, unless they are inferior in some areas?

Cheers.

Dear Venkat,

If one verifies the prices of Sterio Receivers and Sterio Integrated amplifiers , the cost of receivers will be less than Integrated Amps. of same wattage. Why the receivers are less priced though they have more facilities in comparison, unless they are inferior in some areas?

Cheers.

dont worry about whether it is a receiver or an integrated or which brand it is. as long as its a decent brand with backup service / warranty, go by what you hear and feel is good

I beg to differ from the above posts. I would strongly recommend a Amplifier rather then a receiver. An 18k amplifier ( PM 5003 ) will out perform a receiver at the same price point. Since you have a budget of around 25k , you can also look for NAD , CA as other options.

Thanks for your advise .I am also thinking in going for Integrated Amp., instead of receiver . However I like to know where a sterio receiver and sterio Int. Amp differ as the latter will always costly ( leaps ahead ) with near equal ratings .

Regards.

Back