Are we ready for Emotiva .... is it a good deal for us ??

Are we ready for Emotiva .... is it a good deal for us ??
For me a BIG YES. I have been using XPA-3 for around 9 months and USP-1 since 4 months. I never had any issues with them. Nor any other forum member have reported any of them except Manu. That did't discourage me and I happily made a pre order for XDA-1.

Hi all,

A followup to Manu's Emotiva case as told by him :

* Manu's sale thread closed on this forum due to non-delivery by manu of his umc to a member after promising to sell at 20k. Manu wanted 25k
* Manu banned from Emotiva lounge... "somebody" complained to Dan Laughman, owner of Emotiva and mod of the lounge that Manu had two pieces of UMC1 , both are "working" fine and he wants to sell one. Dan lashed at Manu for cheating emotiva and asking for replacement when both his UMCs are working fine. But the fact was and is that manu's replacement UMC was not working despite of firmware upgrade. Manu says "somebody" complained strongly against him and told lies.
So in end, Emotiva got the belief that INDIANS are cheats.
* Manu sent back both his UMCs back to emotiva for verifying of facts.
So, lessons learned :
too much greed and infighting from buyer and seller spoiled the pot, spoiled names of Indians on the international forum and gave bad name to us all.

I think one of our senior members should compile all the facts as gathered by us and send the same to Emotiva to try to salvage our reputation.

Sorry to say, I dont understand the logic behind projecting ourselves infront of others as good and getting their certificate and to how many forums will we do? I think its really unnecessary and shameful to go and tell others that we are not bad as you thought etc. Happened is happened and in future we need to be careful not to tarnish our forum so that it will not give any negative vibes in public.

Moreover if you see some of the other forums the situation is even worse than this, Are they approaching us as we are talking about? So in my opinion its really unnecessary.

Also this forum doesnt represent India and we are not authorized also. So why are we breaking our heads behind this by thinking that we need to safe guard the image of India through this forum.

Note: Not against anybody, just putting my thoughts..:)

Last edited:
...spoiled names of Indians on the international forum and gave bad name to us all.

bad_apple.jpg

A followup to Manu's Emotiva case as told by him :
..........So in end, Emotiva got the belief that INDIANS are cheats...........spoiled names of Indians on the international forum and gave bad name to us all.

Hello to all. I am an American that has been a member of the Emotiva Lounge (forum) for about two years. I joined the Lounge after first learning about Emotiva by a reference from another forum in which I was a member. I have well over 3000 posts at the Lounge. I had been an avid enthusiast of audio and later home theater since my first Hi-Fi purchase in 1969. I have become very knowleadgeable over these years in buying the best bang for the buck products to keep my costs down. After thoroughly researching Emotiva I realized this was a unique company in offering excellent quality products at a rock bottom factory direct to buyer price. I now own an Emo amp, speakers, CD player, cables, accessories and am on the waiting list for the XMC-1 (an upgrade from the UMC-1 to be released in the first part of 2011). I am completely thrilled with the performance and aesthetics of my Emo equipment.

The reason am posting here is to set the record straight because of the above quote that I read. It has saddened me to see these comments that in my opinion are completely false. I am university educated, a former military officer, and former marketing director and sales manager (now retired). I live in the Seattle area which is the home of Microsoft, Boeing, Amazon, Nintendo and Starbucks to mention a few. I post this not to boast about Emotiva or myself but to let you know I'm an educated person living in a very cosmopolitan city with a large exposure to Indian citizens living in America. I had co-workers from India as well as neighbors in our condo complex. I see many Indian People when out shopping, etc. in our upscale suburb of Seattle.

I can assure you that there are no generally negative opinions of Indian People either where I live in America or at the Emotiva Lounge including Emotiva President Dan Laufman, CTO Lonnie and the staff at Emotiva. Cathy Laufman (Dan's wife), specifically started a special section at the Lounge for International members. Emo bends over backward to accommodate all international customers including those from India. My personal relationships with American residents from India include my close neighbor who is a computer software engineer for Microsoft. My son works for a cyber company that was started by an entrepreneur from India. My opinion of my India friends and those I observe in public places is one of educated, articulate, friendly and polite people who while keeping their Indian culture strong also assimilate smoothly into American life.

I am familiar with Manu's posting at the Emotiva Lounge. I followed his several threads from the beginning. My own personal opinion was that he stood out from the beginning as a potential problem. While seemingly over friendly at first, he later seemed to change his tune and seemed to be rather unnecessarily demanding and negative. It was my thought that maybe he was trying to take advantage of Emotiva's priority to make every customer satisfied. These are only my own personal impressions from reading his remarks. I am in no way connected with Emotiva other than being a very happy customer. Emotiva or some of the members might possibly have the impression that Manu was a cheat. Expanding that to all Indian People is absurd. I can assure you any negative feelings were limited to one person only and not all Indian People in general.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to voice my thoughts here. I love my Emotiva products. I know there have been some issues with the UMC-1. However, the latest upgrade has brought the unit up to a high level of performance from my reading at the Lounge. I have no problems with buying the XMC-1 when it is released. I understand the extra issues involved with shipment to India. Everything I see so far, including the recent $100 certificate to UMC-1 owners demonstrates Emo's commitment to keep all customers 100% satisfied.

Thank You :)

Hi Chuckie6

I as a forum member am glad to know of your opinion on the issue. Though you may not have a mandate to represent the Emotiva forum (neither do I:)), your statement did portray the perceptions of the Emotiva forum on the unsavory episode that happened involving one of our forum members and am sure other members would feel the same.

Now that you became a member of HFV, I extend you a warm welcome and wish you a great time. I hope you would have an enriching experience here in the forum and wish to learn a thing or two from you as well.:)

Best regards

Rajesh

Dear Chucki

Welcome to our forum and have a great time.

Thanks for clarifying that no such negative image issue is there.
I hope somebody posts this clarification on Emotiva Lounge too.
We were worried how we stood out on an international forum after such a mess.

As I said, we have to mature up to become a responsible international buyer.

thanks

I am familiar with Manu's posting at the Emotiva Lounge. I followed his several threads from the beginning. My own personal opinion was that he stood out from the beginning as a potential problem. While seemingly over friendly at first, he later seemed to change his tune and seemed to be rather unnecessarily demanding and negative. It was my thought that maybe he was trying to take advantage of Emotiva's priority to make every customer satisfied. These are only my own personal impressions from reading his remarks. I am in no way connected with Emotiva other than being a very happy customer. Emotiva or some of the members might possibly have the impression that Manu was a cheat. Expanding that to all Indian People is absurd. I can assure you any negative feelings were limited to one person only and not all Indian People in general.

Like all Punjabis, Manu, to a large extent, is good at heart and highly emotionally charged. The issue with him, in my opinion, is multi fold. His control over English is not good and he is not able to communicate well. He gets excited very quickly and takes decision instantly. His knowledge/capability of setting up sound processors and amplifiers is, I suspect, very minimal. He is the kind of person who needs a professional to install and ensure the system is working. I have been advising him this for a long time. Manu's idea of room acoustics is to mount sponge and cotton filled cloth on the walls and doors. Something very akin to comforter that we use in a cold climate. His idea of 'improving' sound is a relentless upgrade of whatever he hears is the best in the market at a price range. He has cycled all his equipment more than twice over the last 12 to 18 months. He is completely lost as to what he wants. Being a builder, I suspect everytime he makes some money, he just blows it on AV equipment.

Though completely incorrect, Manu's action of reneging on his sale was because he jumped into selling his unit hastily. At the end of the day, I feel Manu would have quietly listened if a senior had told him what to do. He did listen when we told him that the very act of selling without Emotiva's permission was wrong.

I am writing this not as a moderator, but as a member who finds Manu to be a simple and lost soul. I am not justifiying his actions in any way, just trying to explain (more to myself) why he did what he did.

Cheers

Last edited:
Expanding that to all Indian People is absurd. I can assure you any negative feelings were limited to one person only and not all Indian People in general
Very well said. What was seen by Emotiva in Manu's case has to be interpreted by all of us from India as a case in isolation, which is need not be considered as representation of India to the Emotiva. The people from India have shown their commitment and enthusiasm in every corner of this world and we are can definitely feel proud for that and forget a minor incidence.

Thank you all so much for the very warm welcome.

I appreciate all of your comments. I understand more now about Manu and can relate in my distant memory when I was his age (25? ... I'm 66! :D) and how I was overly active in some of my pursuits.

My priority in posting here was not to disparage Manu but to assure all the great folks in India that the America I know so well, including my friends at the Emotiva Lounge, love India and its people! I will in the next day start a thread at the Emo Lounge about my comments here and the very warm welcome I received. I will not mention Manu specifically by name since that is now between him and the Emo staff. Please feel most welcome to visit the Emo Lounge, introduce yourself if you feel comforatable and/or post any questions or comments. We already have a number of members from India. I just today saw posts from Ahmedabad and Bangalore. About a year ago Cathy Laufman posted a list of international customer's locations. There were well over 25 countries listed including India. I'm sure that list has grown substantially since then. Please understand like in any group we have a few grouches and negative members, simply ignore them.

I am very interested in other countries of the world. I am presently in Japan for a month, the home of my wife. Diverse cultures and people fascinate me. I am enjoying browsing your forum. I feel most welcome here and will continue to visit

Warm Regards,
Chuckie

Being a cheat doesn't have age as prerequisite.

Hey chukie - great to have seniors like you on the forum, and being active on a thread about a very young company. I hope you shall be able to add al lot to our knowledge from your experiences.

Thank you all so much for the very warm welcome.

I appreciate all of your comments. I understand more now about Manu and can relate in my distant memory when I was his age (25? ... I'm 66! :D) and how I was overly active in some of my pursuits.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back