Are you a Guitarist?

thats cool man.. any vids of you into action....

would look forward for the same.. any pics of the band...

Have a closer look at that "guitar"!

Well I am not a guitarist but what do you guys (guitarists) think of Allan Holdsworth? He has been my perennial favorite and I am yet to hear a more refined and imaginative musician playing the guitar.

Amen to that! Allan Holdsworth is truly a man born much before his time.
Also check out Greg Howe, Garsed & Helmerich and my fav Pat Metheny

No not a Guitar Hero but Yes I love the guitar and those who play it. . Went through the whole spectrum from Pop -> Rock -> Metal -> and now Jazz. Dabbled a little before life took over. Once I learnt music i took to jazz and especially instrumental music. Never took to deth/speed metal and that stuff you listen to, symphonic metal or whatever. I was a huge Van Halen fan (hence the 5150) but later I got very disappointed after Balance came out and their general decline into an alcoholic haze!

My wife always asks me "why doesn't your music have any words??"

Here's a sample of some of the stuff I love:

Pat Metheny

Greg Howe

Garsed & Helmerich

And this is for all of us bedroom guitarists; this is a Thai guy just see what he can do on his lonesome:

Jack Thammarat

Last edited:
Hi Jay5150,

Nice link on the Jack Thammarat Link(the song is heavily inspired by a Satriani Track), clean stuff, would like to watch him perform live with a proper band. Do you like G3 (Vai/Satriani/Petrucchio/Johnson)????

http://www.jackthammarat.net/

Last edited:
I had the first G3 Live (Vai/Satriani/Johnson) on...gulp...VHS ;)
I never heard the subsequent line ups. By then I had had enough of Vai and his over the top theatrics. But I still love Passion & Warfare. He is technically very sound but a lot of showboating (Fans to give the windblown look, 3 neck guitars and other such nonsense) and very little 'feel'.
Frank Zappa had him pegged when his official designation was "Stunt Guitarist" on the early 80s live tours!

Well Jay
Without doubt Pat Metheny has developed into one of the foremost jazz guitarists of our time.He is highly individual in his style and a real virtuoso_One of my favorites also along with Wes Montgomery and John Schofield after Allan Holdsworth.
Van halen- You are right , Probably the most influential rock guitarist after Jimi Hendrix.His initial albums were path breaking.
Greg Howe, Brett Garsed ,Hemmerich,Guthrie Govan , Shawn lane,Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale ,Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, et all are from the now established jazz rock/experimental rock school- great musicians but sometimes rely only on speed for impact but still great to listen to.
Nowadays I mostly prefer listening to tonal variations of a Jeff Beck or Eric Johnson, or the more melodic playing of Paco de Lucia, Al demeola, George Benson,Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton etc .
Cheers
Himadri

Last edited:
Well Jay
Without doubt Pat Metheny has developed into one of the foremost jazz guitarists of our time.He is highly individual in his style and a real virtuoso_One of my favorites also along with Wes Montgomery and John Schofield after Allan Holdsworth...
Himadri

Pat Metheny is my all time favorite. That guy's music moves me like no other. Right now my fav is The Way Up and Orchestrion. He had a huge head start in that his talent was discovered and nurtured early. He was teaching by the time he was 18! I like Wes Montgomery too. I don't listen too much to the older stuff but I would be happy if you suggest some good guitar albums of his.
P.S. Looking at your likes I am sure you would have heard it already, but if you haven't, you owe it to yourself to check out Michel Brecker's Pilgrimage (his last album before he passed away due to cancer but line up is awesome: Brecker, Metheny, Hancock, De Johnette, Mehldau!) and Like Minds by Gary Burton (incl. Metheny, Corea)

....Van halen- You are right , Probably the most influential rock guitarist after Jimi Hendrix...

Seeing Live Without A Net really opened my eyes when I first saw it in 1990 i think. It really changed my view of the guitar. And I still get goosebumps when i hear the solo for Beat It. Check out this cool cover:
Beat It Cover

....Greg Howe, Brett Garsed ,Hemmerich,Guthrie Govan , Shawn lane,Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale ...

Ahh my favorite guitar gods! Guthrie Govan's Waves is one my all time best songs.

........Paco de Lucia, Al demeola, George Benson,Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton etc ...

I used to listen to DiMeola about 12 years ago but it did not grow on me I found him a little boring.
Larry Carlton is another favorite, its is through him I discovered one of my favorite bands - Steely Dan!

Really nice to meet somebody else who listens to similar music that I do. I had given up hope. Usually one of the first questions I ask somebody I meet is: "what music do you listen to?" and more often than not the answer is .. Hip Hop ..blech! :p

Cheers

Hip Hop ..blech!

I know where your coming from Jay5150!!! Add C(RAP) to that list too.... :D

Metheny and Scofield together check it out-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eL9FoaQlmg
Gary Burton reminded me of Gong - Check it out -feat Allan Holdsworth-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BFcCXCn_I
One of my favorite guitarist - Jeff Beck-Check out this brilliant and tasteful guitaring is his Live at Ronnie Scotts DVD-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79pgPn357g
Steely Dan -Yes, the epitome of sudio rock with jazz structured melodies-also my favorite
Larry Carlton with stanley Clarke and billy cobham live at the geekhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifc_FMrHUnk
Cheers

Back