Are you an Audiophile or Audio Enthusiast ?

Both ?
Hail Schrödinger. :D

I would say these could be 2 ends of a continuum and folks fall into somewhere in between..and its not a stable state varying by mood/day for each person as well.

Last edited:
I'm just a listener to music..! But, I want the music I listen to be reproduced the best!

Might be a paradox! Its like an analogy that below
1. I like "Inception" as a movie and need a HT to do justice to that!
2. I have a kick-ass home theater and always watch "transformers" because it brings the best of my HT!

I belong to category 1!

I felt his analysis was a bit like comparing “objectivists and subjectivists”
He does end saying there is a middle ground too

Enthusiast, I guess. But would love to know technical differences between the two
This may help:
It has been said that audiophiles use music to listen to their equipment. Audio enthusiasts use their equipment to listen to music.

I read somewhere that an audio enthusiast who's got OCD is called an audiophile.

Is it true ? :rolleyes:

OCD is a disorder ( which audiophiles have been accused of as well) and defined as "Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental and behavioral disorder in which a person has certain thoughts repeatedly (called "obsessions") and/or feels the need to perform certain routines repeatedly "

Being an audiophile would be more for the joy of getting the sound right by getting the components and chain right ..maybe with some "Idiosyncrasies" which could be called a disorder by some :)

I read somewhere that an audio enthusiast who's got OCD is called an audiophile.

Is it true ? :rolleyes:
BTW let me explain that OCD stand for "Obsessive Compulsion Disorder". It's a mental disorder in which people have recurring, unwanted thoughts, ideas or sensations (obsessions) that make them feel driven to do something repetitively(compulsions).

Audiophiles do exist. Otherwise there would not have so many beautiful audio gears in the market.

And also there are OCD people who identify themselves as "Audiophile". Let's not judge if a particular person is an Audiophile or OCD:)

OCD is a disorder ( which audiophiles have been accused of as well) and defined as "Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental and behavioral disorder in which a person has certain thoughts repeatedly (called "obsessions") and/or feels the need to perform certain routines repeatedly "

Being an audiophile would be more for the joy of getting the sound right by getting the components and chain right ..maybe with some "Idiosyncrasies" which could be called a disorder by some :)
Just ask your family members, they will most definitely affirm that we are a bit looney.
Recently I changed speaker wire and told my wife to check out the system.
She rolled her eyes and said "Why are you so obsessed with wires, components and the chain? Just listen to the music"

Cheers,
Raghu

Audiophile: An Audio Enthusiast with a 'file' in hand and ever searching for the troughs and peaks in the music.

BTW let me explain that OCD stand for "Obsessive Compulsion Disorder". It's a mental disorder in which people have recurring, unwanted thoughts, ideas or sensations (obsessions) that make them feel driven to do something repetitively(compulsions).

Audiophiles do exist. Otherwise there would not have so many beautiful audio gears in the market.

And also there are OCD people who identify themselves as "Audiophile". Let's not judge if a particular person is an Audiophile or OCD:)
OCD : obsessive component desire

Like right now i am obsessing over Freya and therefore logged in

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back