around the world in 140 liters of fuel !!

Great news!!!!

DAY 85 – RESCUE UPDATE:
Injured solo sailor rescued succesfully by French fisheries patrol vessel
Abhilash Tomy ‘concious and talking’

Media update 07:00 UTC 23.9.2018 Les Sables d’Olonne, France
Day 4 of the rescue of injured Indian Golden Globe Race solo sailor Abhilash Tomy from his dismasted yacht Thuriya approximately 1,900 miles SW of Perth Western Australia

The French fisheries patrol vessel Osiris reached Tomy’s yacht at 05:30 UTC today and Australian and Indian long range P8 Orion reconnaissance aircraft are circling overhead. Thuriya’s position is 39 32.79S and 78 3.29E

Weather conditions are favourable: 15-20knots from the South West, 2m swells and good visibility. A radio briefing was held between the Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre on Reunion Island, a doctor located on Amsterdam Island, and the master of the Osiris before the French crew boarded Thuriya from Zodiac inflatable boats to administer immediate first-aid and assess his condition.

Imagine 3 days without moving or any liquid or any food and that too in middle of stormy sea and in a broken vessel
Hats off to CDR Tomy

Imagine the nights !

The dark is hardly the issue. I can assure you that attempting to move with any pressure on/ touching the spinal cord is a very interesting experience, the pain, the taste, the colors, the bzzzt of it. Even with a solid floor, it was impossible to move feet let alone turn over for several days. BTDTx3.

ciao
gr

Imagine 3 days without moving or any liquid or any food and that too in middle of stormy sea and in a broken vessel
Hats off to CDR Tomy

I recently watched the movie Adrift based on a true story. It gives the chills when people go through an incident like this on high seas. I can only imagine the mental strength of Cdr Tomy to survive the 3 days esp when injured. Also show how resilient the body is to overcome adversities...

"
Fellow GGR skipper Gregor Mcguckin whose yacht Hanley Energy Endurance was also dismasted in the same storm last week, is making 2.2 knots towards Thuriya’s position, sailing under jury rig. The 32-year old Irishman is still 25 miles to the West and in radio contact with the reconnaissance aircraft. He is not in distress but has asked for a controlled evacuation from his yacht.

Faced with a 1,900 mile sail across the Southern Ocean to Western Australia under a small jury rig and without an engine (his fuel was contaminated when the yacht capsized), this is a responsible decision taken by a professional sailor when all the rescue assets are close by. The alternative would have been to continue sailing singlehanded without the aid of self-steering (also smashed in the capsize) and risk having to call on the Rescue Services again should he be disabled further in another storm.
"

Just plain bad luck for both of them..

GGR skipper Gregor did what he had to - made a professional choice to quit the race.

With his own yacht severely disabled - his valiant effort to reach Cdr Tomy's yacht gets a ton of appreciation from me.

Oh yeah - this is a race - make no mistake - but thankfully camaraderie prevailed !!

Hope they will be friends for life !

With his own yacht severely disabled - his valiant effort to reach Cdr Tomy's yacht gets a ton of appreciation from me.
Helping the competition even in the face of adverse situations is a remarkable feat : whoever wins the race is a different matter, but to me he's truly a hero.

Some Visuals of Sighting the boat for the first time are spine chilling, Gladly The rescue succeeded and Cdr Abhilash made it to the headlines. You can see a concern, gratitude and Pride in his father's face. He was in the 3rd place while storm hit him. Wishing him a speedy recovery and victory in the next endeavors.
Bravo...

Thanks @mpw for keeping us posted much before he made it to headlines!

Last edited:
Sorry for my dumb question
But how did these guys prepare themselves to counter any pirates ?
Not sure where all they are active but since they were all by themselves it can be impossible to fend off a team of pirates

Hi rikhav

on the GGR route map ( visit website ) - is not known for any piracy as the route passes far away from land masses..

besides - the pirates wouldnt find anything on those yachts except frozen food and some medicine and some sat phones and a lonely and bored voyager :D

The yacht would be of no use to them as it has only a small engine and only 140 liters of fuel - not enough to go anywhere..

regards

Sorry for my dumb question
But how did these guys prepare themselves to counter any pirates ?
Not sure where all they are active but since they were all by themselves it can be impossible to fend off a team of pirates
No piracy on the route. Pirates are active around Gulf of Aden and Malaysia/Indonesia. There's a bit of robbery around the West African coast but the don't venture very far out.
The Gulf of Aden has large presence of naval ships from various countries to counter piracy.

Hi rikhav

on the GGR route map ( visit website ) - is not known for any piracy as the route passes far away from land masses..

besides - the pirates wouldnt find anything on those yachts except frozen food and some medicine and some sat phones and a lonely and bored voyager :D

The yacht would be of no use to them as it has only a small engine and only 140 liters of fuel - not enough to go anywhere..

regards
Piracy is more for ransom rather than robbery. Goes into millions of dollars for a ship's crew.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back