Arrival of $20,000 music servers!

sidvee

I guess it was bound to happen. As servers are appearing in more systems, here come the ultimate servers. My only concern won't they be obsolete in 3-4 years? After all - all they are, are computers, and I thought paying $2k plus for an Aurender was too much.
Cheers,
Sid

There was already an Aurender at the $22k price point (w20se)

Streamers don't use the highest performance or highest efficiency hardware so obsolescence should be less of an issue on the hardware side. Problem will likely be software support (especially on apps)

Streamers don't use the highest performance or highest efficiency hardware so obsolescence should be less of an issue on the hardware side. Problem will likely be software support (especially on apps)
I think software support along with hardware compatibility is very crucial, for instance on Aurender, once they discontinue a model, there is no further support, so even remote control with newer versions of Android, Ios etc won't work. Already Aurender w20 is available at 50% off original retail on Audiogon and once support stops they will be available for even less/else they will become paper weights - like perhaps a 6-7 years old windows 7 machine that cannot be upgraded to windows 10 due to hardware limitations like adding more ram etc. Anyways listeners with deep pockets will be buying these, and waxing eloquent how great they sound. I myself will never be able to afford these so it doesn't really matter to me. And to be honest even if I can afford them I don't see myself paying $20k for a glorified computer - in an amplifier chassis.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I think software support along with hardware compatibility is very crucial, for instance on Aurender, once they discontinue a model, there is no further support, so even remote control with newer versions of Android, Ios etc won't work. Already Aurender w20 is available at 50% off original retail on Audiogon and once support stops they will be available for even less/else they will become paper weights - like perhaps a 6-7 years old windows 7 machine that cannot be upgraded to windows 10 due to hardware limitations like adding more ram etc. Anyways listeners with deep pockets will be buying these, and waxing eloquent how great they sound. I myself will never be able to afford these so it doesn't really matter to me.
Cheers,
Sid
That lack of software support is a real deal killer. Even makes their lower end options unattractive. These things use custom hardware and firmware. They will have no options to tweak anything without manufacturer support. Makes a fan less pc a much better option.

That lack of software support is a real deal killer. Even makes their lower end options unattractive. These things use custom hardware and firmware. They will have no options to tweak anything without manufacturer support. Makes a fan less pc a much better option.
This will be an ongoing issue with any manufacturer unfortunately. One reason why these higher end guys thrive in Western markets is because of low computer literacy (I.e building PC's etc) and age of the users - usually the higher age bracket who find such things daunting. In the Best Buy stores in USA for instance adding RAM will cost you $59.99 or something like that in labor charges.
Cheers,
Sid

Often the software is written by a 3rd party, on a job work basis.

That is the key reason why there are (unfortunately) no regular updates

This will be an ongoing issue with any manufacturer unfortunately. One reason why these higher end guys thrive in Western markets is because of low computer literacy (I.e building PC's etc) and age of the users - usually the higher age bracket who find such things daunting. In the Best Buy stores in USA for instance adding RAM will cost you $59.99 or something like that in labor charges.
Cheers,
Sid
Wow ! That takes me back to the year 1999 when I decided to upgrade the 4 mb ram to a 8 mb ones in my packard-bell computer. I had to take an appointment with a dealer and was made to sit in a sofa for 15 mins before I met the gent who handed me the ram chips in packaging that resembles the ones that gold ornaments come these days. He also said that the company offers the additional service of inserting the chips in for an additional charge.

Wow ! That takes me back to the year 1999 when I decided to upgrade the 4 mb ram to a 8 mb ones in my packard-bell computer. I had to take an appointment with a dealer and was made to sit in a sofa for 15 mins before I met the gent who handed me the ram chips in packaging that resembles the ones that gold ornaments come these days. He also said that the company offers the additional service of inserting the chips in for an additional charge.
I was no expert in computers back in the day, and I remember my first home PC that I bought was a micron model and I had AOL dial up internet that was super slow - somewhere around 95-96. I took it to the store to even have have OS updates etc. I remember there was a HR manager in my office who didn't know how to turn off the PC so she used to unplug the power cord.
I have upgraded my skills on PC's somewhat since then, not sure if my HR manager did or not.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Cheers,
Sid

Spot on! A lot of these guys just don't want to anything do with the word "computer" in their setups.

On a side note the guys behind Taiko Audio were frequent on the Computer Audiophile forum (now Audiophile Style). In a way we had a ring side seat to some of the developments that took place and resulted in their finished product, the SGM Server. Initially they had started off with premium off the shelf parts but then moved to completely custom parts that were purpose built for their project. Haven't visited that thread in a while now but I was a fan just in admiration for their efforts to push the technology to the limits.

Which part of the country was this in? Starting 1992-1993 onwards (AFAIK), RAM sticks, here (in then "Bombay"), were available freely at local PC assemblers, and were delivered wrapped in newspaper pages. They were smuggled/imported in by the "tokri" (Hindi for wicker basket) load. In fact it was called "tokri RAM" in the market. Crucial, Kingston, OCZ etc RAM sticks were stuff one could only ogle at in magazines - "tokri RAM" was only Hynix and some other Korean manufacturer whose name evades me.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back