Arrogance Personified.

It is getting harder to experience "pure" music these days.
In western pop music, the extensive use of "Auto Tune" is widespread.

There is also a differentiation that is widely accepted between a "Live album" and "Studio Album". Needless to say, in the studio the singers/artists get multiple do overs until they get the sound just right before the sound engineer does the final down mix. A lot of people prefer a studio album sound over the live version because of the clean sound that is a result of the process (myself included).

Speaking of studio recordings here is a great insight into a modern master ....

Mark Knopfler - Tracker

:cool:

If you play your 2 channel rig on the streets, I'm 90% sure you will experience the same sonic experience that you have with live street musicians. :)

I'll second that. While at college we used to play our speakers on a large open terrace. The sound was superb. We did that for about 3 years. When we finally left and went home the very same speakers never sounded as good indoors. But this is obvious. No standing waves or any reflection artifacts at all. What was there was very low level to cause any problems.
Anyone can try this by playing music on their own terrace ....if they can access it ! Make sure your neighbours don't mind ! ;)

To a large extent, I think we all have to understand that live music and recorded music will be different. They can never meet. Ideally we should train our ears to understand the difference and appreciate both.

And, notwithstanding anything I've said before ;) we still love to be able to say "I feel like I am there" as almost the greatest accolade that we can give to a combination of recording and playback equipment.

... Recently when we got a wonderful sitar player from Mumbai (SOHAM MUNIM), I realised the amplification system was critical to his performance. He used a highly sensitive sensor stuck to his sitar for playing what he called the sympathetic strings.
And that changed the way the music sounded.
It is veering off into other areas, but part of me says that's right, and another part says it's wrong!

The sitar is an acoustic instrument. Part of me wants to hear that insrument without it being "messed around with," as I might put it, by electronics. Another part of me acknowledges the right of the artist to produce his sound, determined, adjusted and produced by him.

The veena has become an electronic instrument. When did anyone, outside their home, perhaps, hear it without some sort of amplification?

And yes, as you say later in your post: to the player of an electric guitar, the amplifiers very much part of the creative tool.

Some interesting recordings.

How a drum sounds in different locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-f68J5PPo

A song in a studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-a7e8B23Jg
Same song in open air and recorded up-close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwqjo8J1mk

(Note: No drums)

Of late, I have been listening mostly to what I consider the "middle ground". Live unedited performances done in a reasonably good sounding room/studio/venue. Or an intimate live session.

Some examples of this are the NPR Tiny Desk concerts. I quite like the acoustics and the setting - in a book filled room. Just about the same as something our listening room would probably be.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=npr+tiny+desk+concert&page=1

KXT live sessions: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kxt+live+sessions

Fox Uninvited Guest: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fox+uninvited+guest

An old example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSgKSqSqik

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just did what I should have done in the first place. Went back to the opening post and read the article. Actually, I think it is a great article and I really enjoyed it.

That is not to say that comments made here, were not valid. They were valid. The conversation is a good one.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just did what I should have done in the first place. Went back to the opening post and read the article. Actually, I think it is a great article and I really enjoyed it.

That is funny. I agree - that is a great article. Has to be understood in the right context.
What also has to be understood is American humor ...

Audio is subjective - if you like the sound , its good or else its bad.........there cannot be any laid down golden rule for "good audio" for all type of listeners....

Audio is subjective - if you like the sound , its good or else its bad.........there cannot be any laid down golden rule for "good audio" for all type of listeners....

Agreed. At the same time there is no harm in setting some ground rules and 'hoping' people will appreciate and understand that.

Sound - leaving out the subjective part - has to be pleasant, and non-tiring. When you hear a cacophony of sound amplified to ear splitting levels - that is not music. Even the sound of electronic instruments sounds good when heard properly. The sound has to have some reference to the rest of the music. If it drowns out everything else, it become noise.

I have constantly been put off by people who keep raising the volume for 'better' sound. With smartphones and 24/7 music through headphones, the WHO has said over a Billion people are going deaf!

Music when played and heard properly can actually help you maintain good health. It brings in peace and calmness and allows you to look at life differently. I spend about 1 hour every evening listening to music (never push beyond 9 'o' clock on my amplifier pot), and believe me, it does wonders. I attack the next working day with renewed vigour and the promise of listening to some good music at the end of the day. Many people (including some technically smart ones) keep arguing with me on MP3 and all that rot. I just smile, take them to my HT room, and play some familiar numbers on my system. I have managed to change the minds of nearly 90% of the my friends. Believe me, they did not know music could be heard this way - with three dimensionality, clear separation, and a way of getting into the soul of the song.

I just want people to understand that and appreciate that aspect of music.

That statement may not be entirely true for a lot of people. I have heard the Mojo alongside some cheaper DACs such as the Ifi Zen DAC, Topping e30, and the inbuilt DACs in my Marantz PM6006, SR6013 and Cambridge Audio CXA81 as well as the RME ADI-2 DAC. While the Chord Mojo is leaps and bounds ahead of the inbuilt Marantz DACs, it is also noticeably better than the ifi Zen Dac and the Topping E30 and the internal DAC in the CXA81. Coming to the RME, there's very little separating the two and while the RME has better sub bass performance and a wider soundstage, the Chord hits back with an "analogue" tonality which sounds better than the RME with instrumental music, something evident while playing Indian classical music.

The one thing i haven't done is compare it against price appropriate DACs such as the SMSL SU8, SMSL SU9, ifi zen one signature, Topping D30 pro, etc.
I am a mojo user for the past 4 years now. It has good power for full sized headphones despite being a portable unit. On DAC mode the 3V is louder than most DACs set at 2V. If you press the volume 4 times down. It’s about 1.9V, which is how we can do an AB atleast in a fair way. Otherwise louder is always better to the ears. For me it’s smooth because it has rolled off top end. If you eq a topping with few DbS down on the right most eq bands, it will sound narrow and smooth like the mojo.

I will keep it, as it’s a Swiss Army knife not because of its sound quality alone. It’s a decent headphone amp, preamp, and has optical in for tv or a CD player. Also two outputs makes it easy for biamping even though it’s a split.

That statement may not be entirely true for a lot of people. I have heard the Mojo alongside some cheaper DACs such as the Ifi Zen DAC, Topping e30, and the inbuilt DACs in my Marantz PM6006, SR6013 and Cambridge Audio CXA81 as well as the RME ADI-2 DAC. While the Chord Mojo is leaps and bounds ahead of the inbuilt Marantz DACs, it is also noticeably better than the ifi Zen Dac and the Topping E30 and the internal DAC in the CXA81. Coming to the RME, there's very little separating the two and while the RME has better sub bass performance and a wider soundstage, the Chord hits back with an "analogue" tonality which sounds better than the RME with instrumental music, something evident while playing Indian classical music.

The one thing i haven't done is compare it against price appropriate DACs such as the SMSL SU8, SMSL SU9, ifi zen one signature, Topping D30 pro, etc.
I think mojo should be compared with portable dac amps of its price. But if we look at the features mojo offers I think the discounted prices are very reasonable(never the orginal prices ;)

Micro usb on a device worth 70k in 2022… why?? I would say that’s a missed opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,the context, the times, the hifi and live music landscape during those days needs to be understood well before we pass judgement on the article.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back