Assignable channels..How does it work?

slash1814

Hi folks,
Some AVRs come with an option of assigning few channels by using external amplifiers. Example : Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 + 2 channel pre-Amps that are assignable.
1. How to recognize which channels are assignable (is it surround, height, ceiling etc.)
2. Can I use "B Channel" option of my Marantz PM-6005 to power assignable channels.
3. Most Important : How do you match volume control for the assignable channels with AVR channels?
Firstly, how do we baseline all volumes to be uniform and then If I (suppose) have increased volume using AVR Vol. control, Do I have to fiddle with Marantz volume control and use my ears to match it. If yes...I think its a circus.

Regards
Slash

User manual will guide you how to set those channels.Also when you use external poweramp,just run test tone and adjust individual speaker level/volume.
Test tone will also tell which channel is working as height or other.

1. How to recognize which channels are assignable (is it surround, height, ceiling etc.)

This is user defined.. Depending on which speaker location you want external amplification, you can specify the same in the AVR..

Suppose you already have 5.1.4 set-up and want to add surr back with external amplifier, you choose surr back in the AVR menu to the assignable..

2. Can I use "B Channel" option of my Marantz PM-6005 to power assignable channels.

Nope.. You will need to use pre-outs of that specific channel from the AVR pre-outs..

3. Most Important : How do you match volume control for the assignable channels with AVR channels? Firstly, how do we baseline all volumes to be uniform and then If I (suppose) have increased volume using AVR Vol. control, Do I have to fiddle with Marantz volume control and use my ears to match it. If yes...I think its a circus.

It is best, if you use 2 channel power amplifier (without volume control on it) for expanding the set-up (or) use a stereo amplifier with pre-outs & Pre-in.. This is more easier to attach to AVR and use them..

Using a stereo amplifier which has volume control with AVR pre-outs may not be as easy as the above scenario..

It is best, if you use 2 channel power amplifier (without volume control on it) for expanding the set-up (or) use a stereo amplifier with pre-outs & Pre-in.. This is more easier to attach to AVR and use them..
Any affordable options for this?

Any affordable options for this?

I don't know what is your budget.. If you want to get it inexpensive way, you may consider used route..

You need to look for a stereo amplifier that has Main IN & Pre Out, connected via jumpers.. For Ex, refer to below image..
c325bee-trasera.jpg

You can get used amplifiers like these in OLX, for a lot less..

If you prefer new, there is Crown amplifier in 25K budget range.. XLS502 i guess.. Don't recollect the exact model #..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back