asus m3n783m overscan issue....

suprateep

HTPC with Asus M3N78EM setup queries

hi guys....just finished assembling my HTPC (minus the true HTPC cabinet) though - components are as follows:

Asus M3n78EM (8300 chipset) mobo
AMD 7750 Black Edition
2 GB RAM (will upgrade to 4 GB within a month).
LG DVD Writer (Dual Layer Supported) - no liteon in the market
Logitech wireless Kybd, Mouse
Iball 306

Total cost = 11750

After spending close to 3 hours or more settign this b!tch up - when i fired the HDMI from VGA (after installing) - the colours of the XP desktop reproduced on my panny pv8 caught me. Nice.

Problem is the overscan part - picture is being cut off by 5% (approx) on all sides. I am using default drivers that came with the CD.

I am really tired - please help guys.

PS: Welcome to the world of HTPC ans associated woes:mad:

Last edited:
hey bud,congrates on your purchase.
Lol did u managed to get everything for 11,750 bucks.
Which cabinet did u got? Is that iball 306 a cabinet? If that is then i must say i am disappointed...or is it temporary?

Btw about your overscan prob check these screens,they are for HDTV but might help u:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/HDTV/treatas.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/HDTV/newoptions.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/HDTV/changesignal.jpg

if this doesn't help then check out powerstrip to set custom resolutions and timings

Last edited:
congrats on putting this together! :clapping:
I hope your problem will be resolved soon. Can it pass high def audio over hdmi to your avr?

regards

hi guys....just finished assembling my HTPC (minus the true HTPC cabinet) though - components are as follows:

Asus M3n78EM (8300 chipset) mobo
AMD 7750 Black Edition
2 GB RAM (will upgrade to 4 GB within a month).
LG DVD Writer (Dual Layer Supported) - no liteon in the market
Logitech wireless Kybd, Mouse
Iball 306

Total cost = 11750

After spending close to 3 hours or more settign this b!tch up - when i fired the HDMI from VGA (after installing) - the colours of the XP desktop reproduced on my panny pv8 caught me. Nice.

Problem is the overscan part - picture is being cut off by 5% (approx) on all sides. I am using default drivers that came with the CD.

I am really tired - please help guys.

PS: Welcome to the world of HTPC ans associated woes:mad:

hey bud,congrates on your purchase.
Lol did u managed to get everything for 11,750 bucks.
Which cabinet did u got? Is that iball 306 a cabinet? If that is then i must say i am disappointed...or is it temporary?

Btw about your overscan prob check these screens,they are for HDTV but might help u:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/HDTV/treatas.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/HDTV/newoptions.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/HDTV/changesignal.jpg

if this doesn't help then check out powerstrip to set custom resolutions and timings

the iball is a temporary solution for the time being - could not find a good HTPC solution here. The Silverstone lc16 was 13.5k and i was willing to go for it - but found the imon & vfd to be buggy. So the iball will do till i manage to get my hands on a apevia box HTPC case. If the online shops dont ship - i need to ship it via my friend in the us

Could you elaborate a little on this?

Cheers

hey venkat sorry for the delay in posting. i checked out the lc16 mr220 imon, it works with the included software which is buggy. Does not work with winamp or windows media player or foobar. (the main reason was not to put on the display while the music was playing - paying 13k for the same is a total waste). I plan to pick up a imon vfd display from the us in the next 2-3 months - 39-50 USD with remote. Can fit in any 5.25 bay and supports plugins for winamp, wmp etc

btw the overscan problem has been fixed by the new nforce chipset drivers that i downloaded from the net - thanks to manish. I was dissapointed with the text rendering of the panasonic tv that did stretching to the image in XP (not the videos though).

Anyway i royuted the HDMi signal through the onkyo 606 - voila -text is smooth and crisp as in a pc monitor. Love it. Wife was impressed - so was I. I can actually read everything on the plasma, surf the net (i wont though) etc. :yahoo:

Problem: Deciding between HTPC or a NMT
Time spent for decision making: 2 months (number of hours unknown)
Research: Google & numerous forums on nvidia, asus & gigabyte, toms hardware etc
Final Call Taken: HTPC (to build up in steps)

HW info:

Processor: AMD 7750 Black (no overclocking is necessary for 1080p decoding)
Motherboard: Asus M3N78EM (nvidia 8300 chipset) pipped the Gigabyte 780g bases board and the Asus M3A78EM (ATI 3200)
Ram: 2GB Kingston 800 (will be upgraded to 4 GB next month
OD: LG DVD secure drive (no liteon available in pune)
Case: iball 306 (do not kill me - i am going to get a proper HTPC case from outside. Searched in pune/mumbai and called up chandigarh. no antec 2480, buggy silverstone lc16 meant i was stuck)
Input: Logitech wireless kybd/mouse combo

Total damage: Rs 11,750/-

SW info:
OS:Windows XP Professional sp3 with all addons and patched downloaded
Media Players: KL mega codec (home cinema), VLC, Winamp, foobar.
Codec: All supported by klcodec and core avc
HTPC frontend: XBMC with Aeon/Mediastream skins (Complete artwork downloaded automatically from the internet imdb - just a few fakes/duplicated needed to be manually removed)

Overall Experience:
720p/1080p rips play fine - no stuttering: (looks great on my pv8)
Video & Audio out through HDMI: (please note the realtek HDMI driver does not output audio through HDMI - only spdif and analog. for hdmi audio and video out I have to use the nvidia hdmi audio out drivers. Its a problem with nvidia and ati based boards. Came to know this after building the HTPC. The forums elsewhere are filled with horror stories and concerns of the audio not outputting through HDMI - my case HDMi audio video works fine with onkyo 606 routed to the ov8). Anyway XBMC passes DTS and AC3 to the onkyo and it decoded it. So i have got dolby 5.1, 7.1 LPCM, 2.0 stereo through HDMI - simpsons dvd rip, dark knight blue ray rip and flac.
spdif problems: If i disable the HDMI and use the spdif optical to the receiver i get stereo sound only. And also the digital tab in windows mixer is greyed out. Changign to default drivers or loading new drivers did not help.
Overscan issues: Had major problems with overscan with the mobo default drivers. Downloading the new drivers and resizing helped. The resolution is at 1216 at 720. Not exactly HD ready either - but i am not complaining with the overall performance of the pv8

Problems:
All motherboards have the problem with HDMI sound out (ATI does 2 channel LPCM, Nvidia 7.1 LPCM but realtek does not play anywhere - so if you are using HDMI then realtek is not the default playback device and you can disable it altogether.
System Noise: Although the iball case has 2 small fans (not automatic) excluding the power supply fan (smps) - they are pretty silent. Only problem is the AMD 7750 that runs around 44-50 C at most times with temp ranging at 38-40C in Pune. This is bad though with my AC on at 23C - its pin drop silent (almost with a slight buzz which is more than acceptable).
Remote: Need a remote for HTPC functionality. Everytime because of the power of flexibility and customization within a HTPC one tends to start playing with settings - wife hates this in between movies.

Its been 4 days since its been setup - will post pics too as I go along.

PS: Both the nvidia and realtek driver are existing in parallel. I setup nvidia driver for audio out (winamp/fooba) for stereo for the time being and realtek spdif for passing dts/PCM streams to onkyo 606 (as i have a handful of blueray rips lpcm 7.1 does not make sense). Both are working wonderfully well for the time being. Watching "the simpsons" rip right now.

Last edited:
I do not have an HDMI AVR. Will I get DTS etc on spdif out while video on proj? If this is good, I will go the same route and forget nmt and wd tv :) Another small stupid question - are lossless dolby. dts master decoded by the software?

Does it have on board wi fi?

Last edited:
I do not have an HDMI AVR. Will I get DTS etc on spdif out while video on proj? If this is good, I will go the same route and forget nmt and wd tv :) Another small stupid question - are lossless dolby. dts master decoded by the software?

Does it have on board wi fi?

yes DTS 5.1 can be passed by optical which is on the board. That can be decoded by your receiver.

Do not worry about True HD audio - my onkyo 606 has it - but i have just a couple of rips that are BLUE ray rips - in fact just a few hours back i set up the HDMI (nvidia audio out) to pass out audio (through winamp/foobar) to my panny pv8 (for convenience's take) while XBMC and MPC Home Cinema pass DTS to my receiver for decoding (i have quite a few DVD 5.1 rips so it works out well) - anyway i have 7 speakers but kept away 2 front speakers (from onkyo hts 230 5.1 speaker system - which can be used as surroudn back) for lack of wall mounting (stay in a rented rig for the time being).

BTW true HD etc can be passed by multichannel PCM which your avr can decode - or use ffdshow audio codec to downmix to 5.1 - simple.

Setting up a HTPC is fun - you will go thorugh the perils unlike a NMT.

XBMC is great - downlaods cover/fanart info directly from imdb and other sites. Its great. Will post a few pictures soon.

how much did you pay for the windows xp os?

eeps do not ask me. I obtained a corporate edition full XP sp2 from somewhere/:p. A XP sp2 cd professional edition single license will st you back by 4k max IMHO.

BTW xp sp3 is the best with support for all HW/SW codecs etc. Vista will slow down the system. Infact wit 2 GB RAM the system if flowing smoothly. In case I do DVD rips - 4 GB might be an option.

I doubt that the rips have TrueHD audio...probably DTS/DD/FLAC

dude a few are true hd m2ts files i got from a friend. They can be passed as LPCM by MPC which the onkyo picks up a multichannel LPCM (remember no bitstreaming from a PC without a HDAV 1.3 or a Azuntech Home Cinema soundcard). RIght now its not wise to spend 13k on a card with limited supply of HD media anyway.

So bro u using HDMI for passing audio or downscaling it for SPDIF output?
and btw u said Blu-Ray rips :indifferent14:
Also if u want to prevent my dropping at your place, post your setup pics with Panny display along with Home Theatre ASAP

Last edited:
@suprateep - Great and happy for you bro. Enjoy. Just wondering if this rig is only for movies or you plan to play music via it too. If music then Audioengine A5 makes more sense than a stereo amp unless of course you're planning to use the Mission babies for music. I've used XBMC in the past, but found it too intrusive and music on it did not sound that great. BTW if you intend to play music via the PC then do give cPlay a shot. You'll not go back to another media player once you've heard what cPlay can do.

BTW let me know where you are sourcing Blu-Ray media with HD Audio from? The ones I've ordered on Amazon came with Dolby Digital and not even DTS forget HD Audio.

So bro u using HDMI for passing audio or downscaling it for SPDIF output?
and btw u said Blu-Ray rips :indifferent14:
Also if u want to prevent my dropping at your place, post your setup pics with Panny display along with Home Theatre ASAP

HTPC through nvidia HDMI is connected to the Panny PV8 - instant action preferred by my wife. Easier according to her while it comes to movies.
HTPC connected through realtek spdif to Onkyo 606 - MPC, XBMC passing DTS over to the avr for processing.

PS: You are welcome - just give me a headsup. And regarding pics - will be posted soon.

HTPC through nvidia HDMI is connected to the Panny PV8 - instant action preferred by my wife. Easier according to her while it comes to movies.
HTPC connected through realtek spdif to Onkyo 606 - MPC, XBMC passing DTS over to the avr for processing.

PS: You are welcome - just give me a headsup. And regarding pics - will be posted soon.

Suprateep, congrats on your htpc!

I have a query. I have an onkyo 506, which has only hdmi pass though! So what would be the best htpc solution for me? Is there any way I can get 5.1/7.1 sound from htpc to my avr(got mission speakers and surrounds) without having cables for each channel?

Simply put, any one cable solution, like hdmi, that can pass multichannel audio to the avr onkyo 506 for it to decode?
And if yes, which mobo has the facility?
Thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back