Asus Xonar DG Audio Card (Review)

My onboard realtek had DAC is capable of 97db SNR. I pump the volume to half and record the 'silence' sound, I notice distinct background noise.

My Xonar DG have DAC is capable of 105db SNR a modest increase of 8db over realtek. Now I record some 'silence' at half volume, I cannot hear any human perceptible noise, then I take it to full volume still I cannot hear anything.

I connect my card to my amp take it to full volume with 'silence mode' (my Yam is pumping out a brazen 527 watts of pure RMS power) and then I can hear a very very very very little amount of noise which may have been generated by the amp.
Whilst I'm not sure how much full-volume listening one would ever actually do, it is great to have actual test results like that.

BTW, can you pls. suggest some good musical computer speakers under rs. 5000.

What is your configuration, 2.1 or 5.1. I need to know that first.

Secondly, no PC multimedia speakers below 5k really produces good sound quality. All can be termed as passable. With this type of budget I would stick with 2.1. My order of choice of 2.1's:

1) Corsair SP2500 (12.5K)
2) Altec Lansing MX6021 (7.5K)
3) Logitech Z623 (7.5K)

@Rishiguru thanks for the post.About cars. I was just quoting an example by Buggati Veyron.
And about the Ford T model it may be the top car in 100 but certainly not the fastest of best.
Just like Asus Xonar DG is not the best sound card,even if its dead cheap. But yes one thing i have to agree.Its the best value for money Headphone Sound card.
Cheers and Chill. Nice informative post still...

What is your configuration, 2.1 or 5.1. I need to know that first.

Secondly, no PC multimedia speakers below 5k really produces good sound quality. All can be termed as passable. With this type of budget I would stick with 2.1. My order of choice of 2.1's:

1) Corsair SP2500 (12.5K)
2) Altec Lansing MX6021 (7.5K)
3) Logitech Z623 (7.5K)

Its purely for listening to music. so 2.0 or 2.1 will do.
I was inclined towards creative T20, at around 7K, any experience.
Its purely for music, don't do any gaming, so logitech is not needed.
btw, I simply cannot stand the visual treat:lol: of MX6021..

^^^ T20 is a great music performer.However it gets better above 30% Volume. Lower than that bass may not be that prominent.But its very musical.Sound signature is good with spread enough sound-stage.Treble is on the spot.
Get it cheapest from Flipkart around 5.8K from here Flipkart.com: Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II: Speaker

Recently ordered from them for a friend and it was a very fast delivery moreso its still in stock.This is the cheapest in India ,ebay still retails it around 7K.
You could also try T40 as its listening volume start around 20% with good rounded bass which T20 produced around 30%volume.
But at 5.8K something nothing comes close to T20.

@Rishiguru thanks for the post.About cars.

You are most welcome, freshseasons. Cheers!!! :)

I was just quoting an example by Buggati Veyron.

The worst example ever.;)

And about the Ford T model it may be the top car in 100 but certainly not the fastest of best.

With all due respect, it seems you have very little knowledge regarding cars. You only measure a car's performance by its velocity & acceleration in a straight line.

I mean if i strap a pair of tomahawk missiles at the back of a bullock cart, fire those missiles, thus the cart reaching Mach 1 (speed of sound), you may say they are the best two wheel car ever made.:indifferent14:

Have you ever though that deceleration is equally important as acceleration? Or for that matter the role of aerodynamics and what it does to a car?

One world of caution, "Bugatti Veyron" is just that to car enthusiast, as "Bose" is to a music enthusiast. An analogy to help you out.

Anyway this is a friendly advice, don't take in personally.:thumbsup:

Just like Asus Xonar DG is not the best sound card,even if its dead cheap. But yes one thing i have to agree.Its the best value for money Headphone Sound card. Cheers and Chill. Nice informative post still...

Xonar DG is surely a VFM card with solid performance. But I cannot quantify why are you repeatedly calling it a 'headphone sound card'?

DG is a sound card with a built in headphone amp as an additional facility but what, if any are you trying to mean by the term 'headphone sound card'?

Note: I cannot find this term by Google also.

^^^Hey Happy Diwali to you. Yup Bugatti is the worst example. I think Porsche Gt handles better.

And ofcourse i have a very little knowledge of sports car.I don't own any.After all i drive and have old model Ford Fiesta 1.6 and Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VX. My nearest shot to anything close to performance car would come close to Honda Accord which i may landup with next month.But that is as far as this poor chap goes.
I have though driven a Porsche Carrera GT when i used to stay in UK and can vouch for its handling and performance.But that has been nearly a year back.
So sorry for poor car understanding :). Anyways i did like your last post about car.Very informative. And the best post of yours still remains for me was the Logitech some 2.1 model which you owned, don't quite remember the model.its discontinued now but was supposed to be somewhat a jem just like this xonar DG card you mention.
Anyways about the soundcard ,isn't the headphone amp the most important feature of the card.Hence termed it.But no knowledge.I have the Xonar DX version hence.
Best luck and do revel us few jems.Always open to knowledge.:)

^^^Hey Happy Diwali to you.

Happy Diwali freshseasons. Enjoy the festival.:)

Yup Bugatti is the worst example. I think Porsche Gt handles better............I have though driven a Porsche Carrera GT when i used to stay in UK and can vouch for its handling and performance.But that has been nearly a year back.

The Porsche Carrera GT is 100 times better than Veyron. That car was actually built by Porsche to compete in LeMans & was latter decommissioned. So what you get is a racing car transformed to be used in the road.

Porsche Carrera GT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways about the soundcard ,isn't the headphone amp the most important feature of the card.Hence termed it.But no knowledge.I have the Xonar DX version hence.

I think the headphone amp is one of the features in the card, after all its is the sound card that constitutes the headphone amp & not the other way around.

How do you know that? You mean they do not sound good to your ears, right?
Are they really useful? I mean did you get any real improvement using those settings?
Thanks for detailed answer.

Now if end product is not enjoyable,then efforts taken to develop a device would be in vain.

What I can hear is the sound with UNIXonar is much better that original drivers.I am not only the one,but many have reported the same on Asus forum.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Mod the latest asus driver and install it for your card
Asus Xonar users, updated drivers here - HEXUS Community Discussion Forums

I also tried modded(myself) drivers from STX,Claro & Cmedia drivers.They were sounding better than original.I praise unixonar v.1.27 or 1.41 drivers only.Others were not clean.
So its my opinion.

Thanks for detailed answer.

Now if end product is not enjoyable,then efforts taken to develop a device would be in vain.

What I can hear is the sound with UNIXonar is much better that original drivers.I am not only the one,but many have reported the same on Asus forum.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Mod the latest asus driver and install it for your card
Asus Xonar users, updated drivers here - HEXUS Community Discussion Forums

I also tried modded(myself) drivers from STX,Claro & Cmedia drivers.They were sounding better than original.I praise unixonar v.1.27 or 1.41 drivers only.Others were not clean.
So its my opinion.

Love that you enjoy the UniXonar drivers. Anyway, the words are not all positive regarding these drivers in the forum links you provided.

One of the administrators(Tian) says: "About the unofficial unified driver currently in the market, we have verified it and here is our comment.

After our test, this unified driver did do few trims for our Xonar driver although this change has nothing to do with bug revised. In fact, the changes unified driver did are optional and much related to C-Medias customized parameters. That is, installing this unified driver will not improve any potential/currently unsolved bugs.

Besides, users might take some risk on performance issues if they install the unofficial Xonar driver. Official Xonar drivers are released after a strict verification process to secure the best audio performance of each model. The unified driver for all ASUS Xonar cards is just to combine everything together without the one-by-one verification, which we cant guarantee its performance and stability in any Xonar model.

We appreciate some of our beloved users take the matters and try to do some improvements for our Xonar driver. Although the unofficial drivers solve no current bugs and might cause some performance issues, we believe what ASUS Xonar as well as these unified driver makers do is to provide the best Xonar driver for our end users persistently.

Let us thank you guys choosing ASUS Xonar and great support for our premium soundcards."

Here is the link : Asus Forum

rishiguru, Thank you for this review.

Love that you like it.:)

Nice to know about such an affordable option for pc audio enthusiasts.

Asus Xonar DG is perhaps the best VFM card around in India.:thumbsup:

Have you listened to the Xonar STX by any chance?

Nope.:eek:

For sure pure 'bit-perfect' sound quality wise STX will be superior than DG. But the question is how the card sounds in you ears right?

For that you have to audition. I find sonosphere bought INR 10K Xonar Essense ST card and he is not happy with its bass, but my DG have less SQ but better stellar bass.

So in the end it is upto your ears and what it likes, for me I am very happy with my DG.

Hope you all the best.

Yes that's what ultimately matters.If you are satisfied even with a pocket FM radio/transistor then that Radio should be the Best for you.No amount of static or hiss matters then.You are in your own bliss/Dream world.This is the Best system for you in world.

And then there are few who find static even on 24 Bit Audio Master copies ,who have ear for very finite small nuance.And then they remain unsatisfied.Still upgrading, still searching for that perfection.

But to us discerning normal people, both of these lot are A-Grade idiots.

Last edited:
Happy Diwali freshseasons. Enjoy the festival.:)

The Porsche Carrera GT is 100 times better than Veyron. That car was actually built by Porsche to compete in LeMans & was latter decommissioned. So what you get is a racing car transformed to be used in the road.

Porsche Carrera GT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the headphone amp is one of the features in the card, after all its is the sound card that constitutes the headphone amp & not the other way around.

What are you discussing about man??? Apples & Oranges??? Both models are designed to do completely the opposite of each other & hence your comparison is totally incorrect. To say that the Porsche is better than the Bugatti is this context is totally incorrect & disrespectful. Suggest you read up on both to truly understand what each model is truly about & realise your unfair comparison yourself.

freshseasons, you are still not able to grasp what we are talking about here. No body including me said that DG produces the best bit perfect sound in the world.

-----------------------------

Secondly, If you are talking about sports cars, the best sports car in the world till now is the McLaren F1, built 100 units selling at 1 million dollars each back in 1995 currently they have a minimum resale value of over 2 million dollars. That's some resale value.

Designed by Gordan Murray (FIA F1 car designer) & built in McLaren facilities this sports car have F1 style central seating position with highly tuned 6.1 litre BMW power V12 engine. F1 was the first road car to be completely made out of carbon fiber. The engine bay was completely lined with gold, not for show but since it is the best reflector of heat. So you see McLaren F1 is about pure performance & function. Having a power to weight ratio of 550 bhp/ton this car though made for normal roads, won the respected & revered 24 hours Le Mans race on its first outing. That's some racing pedigree. Of course only if you truly understand the meaning & the def of a sports car you will be able to forsee what I mean to say.

McLaren F1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding your Volkwagen owned Buggatti Veyron : Just my talking a chepo Volkwagen's W configuration four cylinder engine and adding the number to sixteen cylinders and then adding four turbos and using steel tubes at the engine assembly rather than carbon fiber thus increasing the overall mass to over 2 ton with such high CG, having interiors which can be best described as beautiful and not purely functional cannot be in any case be considered a sports car. And yes you will find no gold lining in the engine bay but you will find it in the car interiors for opulence. This car is a grand tourer & in no way can be be told a sports car. Great in a straight line but & elephant in corners.:)

Gordon Murray, designer of the McLaren F1 (which for many years was the fastest production car ever built) said the following about the Bugatti Veyron in UK auto magazine evo during its development period: "The most pointless exercise on the planet has got to be this four-wheel-drive, thousand-horsepower Bugatti"

Even Lotus Elise costing a fraction of it is abetter sports car. And lastly McLaren have been requested ten million times maybe for the last ten years to produce the successor of the F1. At last they have started working on this project & when this sports comes out of the McLaren garage, it is going to obliterate all record books in terms of performance which the current F1 did 15 years ago.

And again when the vote for the top 100 cars of the 21'st century came, the first and the second slots where not taken by Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Maseriti, Bugatti or for the the matter any high performance car manufacturer. First place went to Ford Model T, a humble maruti 800 like car back in 1930's which a farmer could even fix while the second place went to Mini which did not even have proper suspension attached to its wheels.

Ford Model T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Car of the Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why? Well what this cars did for the masses in there time period of say a decade these Ferrari's & Porsche's will not be able to do in ten centuries. So my friend these Ford T & Mini's are real masterpieces.

And Asus Xonar DG is a sound card for the masses.

So have you driven Mc Laurean F 1 or Bugetti --or you form your opinions just by reading.

I remembered my friend making a comment on Jack Daniels being a lousy burbon..AND HE NEVER HAD JACK. He read article on scotch somewhere and throwing names and talking about single malts:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Btw when he got Glenfedich 18 yrs from Uk , and when we asked him to take it straight without ice ,he was not able to go beyond first sip!!! The joker "insulted" glenfiddich by mixing it with Coke!!

So sometimes first hand expereince counts ...I am really wondering which vehicles you drive...I feel freshseasons has some "decent" driving expereince..

What are you discussing about man??? Apples & Oranges??? Both models are designed to do completely the opposite of each other & hence your comparison is totally incorrect. To say that the Porsche is better than the Bugatti is this context is totally incorrect & disrespectful. Suggest you read up on both to truly understand what each model is truly about & realise your unfair comparison yourself.

My God denom, don't be so angry.:)

You see the McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo etc all fall under the 'performance car' category.

Now when you think about 'performance cars' vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics and all other performance aspect needs to be designed first & when this aspects are freezed, the car shape or exterior designing takes place. So the engineers does have complete control on the car & designed with best performance in mind.

When the McLaren F1 was build, its designer Gordon Murray did not thought how it should look like and desined the car 'inside out'. He looked for performance in every aspect of the car and critically examined the components. He did not care how the car should look or what max speed the car will be capable of, he just designed the best possible car he could design.
Mind you Murray is F1 car designer.

This car was 'pure' which resulted in 370+ km/hr top speed, but its real strength was its power to weight ratio which provoded excellent behaviour is racing tracks. So, though McLaren F1 was designed as a road car it had overwhelming success in race competions like LeMans.

Now consider the Bugatti Veyron. It was first shown in an auto show & VW boss approved that this car will go to production. So the car's outside configuration was freezed even before proper engineering from inside the car.

So, its enginners faced the huge problem of desining the car 'outside in'. It was a nightmmare. Again the Volkswagen bosses said the car should do a 400 km/hr down the staright. To do 400 km/hr plus in a car with the exterior design fixed also became a nightmare since the aerodynamicist cannot work on the exterror to make it more stable at high speeds.

Now to make the car stable at high speeds they went for 4 wheel driving in a sports car!!!!!. Have you ever seen a 4 wheel drive in a F1 car. Or Ferrari designed a high performance 4 wheel drive car. Never. Since 4 wheel drive works against vehicle dynamics in a high speed low drag sports car.

So you see, the Veyron is flawed, but Volkswagen have huge money & they pumped in the money for 5 years and somehow the car became drivable & enjoyable and a 'Grand Tourer Car'

Have you ever seen the Bugatti taking part in a race. I have not seen. Since iy does not posses the performance aspects necessary for a sports car.

But denom, this are my personal views and you may have a different one, so if you happy to think Veyron in the best, then be it then.

Please don't be angry my friend.:)

Last edited:
So have you driven Mc Laurean F 1 or Bugetti --or you form your opinions just by reading.

I remembered my friend making a comment on Jack Daniels being a lousy burbon..AND HE NEVER HAD JACK. He read article on scotch somewhere and throwing names and talking about single malts:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Btw when he got Glenfedich 18 yrs from Uk , and when we asked him to take it straight without ice ,he was not able to go beyond first sip!!! The joker "insulted" glenfiddich by mixing it with Coke!!

So sometimes first hand expereince counts ...I am really wondering which vehicles you drive...I feel freshseasons has some "decent" driving expereince..

I have a humble Maruti Suzuki 800. And yes i have not driven a single of the above cars.

But I have read a dozen reviews about truely knowlegable people who have 'performance tested' both the cars, & every time McLaren F1 came in the top even though it was slower than the Veyron & 10 years older.

Why?

It is how you get to that level of speed which is more important than absolute top speed, and the F1 was super compsed at 350 km/hr plus and it makes you spine tingle with its normally aspirated 6.1lt BMW V12 engine. Where as in Veyron you are cocooned inside the car. You do not feel the car you just drive & see the speedo doing ludicrois speeds.

My God denom, don't be so angry.:)

You see the McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo etc all fall under the 'performance car' category.

Now when you think about 'performance cars' vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics and all other performance aspect needs to be designed first & when this aspects are freezed, the car shape or exterior designing takes place. So the engineers does have complete control on the car & designed with best performance in mind.

When the McLaren F1 was build, its designer Gordon Murray did not thought how it should look like and desined the car 'inside out'. He looked for performance in every aspect of the car and critically examined the components. He did not care how the car should look or what max speed the car will be capable of, he just designed the best possible car he could design.
Mind you Murray is F1 car designer.

This car was 'pure' which resulted in 370+ km/hr top speed, but its real strength was its power to weight ratio which provoded excellent behaviour is racing tracks. So, though McLaren F1 was designed as a road car it had overwhelming success in race competions like LeMans.

Now consider the Bugatti Veyron. It was first shown in an auto show & VW boss approved that this car will go to production. So the car's outside configuration was freezed even before proper engineering from inside the car.

So, its enginners faced the huge problem of desining the car 'outside in'. It was a nightmmare. Again the Volkswagen bosses said the car should do a 400 km/hr down the staright. To do 400 km/hr plus in a car with the exterior design fixed also became a nightmare since the aerodynamicist cannot work on the exterror to make it more stable at high speeds.

Now to make the car stable at high speeds they went for 4 wheel driving in a sports car!!!!!. Have you ever seen a 4 wheel drive in a F1 car. Or Ferrari designed a high performance 4 wheel drive car. Never. Since 4 wheel drive works against vehicle dynamics in a high speed low drag sports car.

So you see, the Veyron is flawed, but Volkswagen have huge money & they pumped in the money for 5 years and somehow the car became drivable & enjoyable and a 'Grand Tourer Car'

Have you ever seen the Bugatti taking part in a race. I have not seen. Since iy does not posses the performance aspects necessary for a sports car.

But denom, this are my personal views and you may have a different one, so if you happy to think Veyron in the best, then be it then.

Please don't be angry my friend.:)

Rishi,

Am not angry but just upset that your still not understanding what I am trying to say. Anyway, its no point going further off thread as Arunlouie has rightly said. Just remember, its very easy to be an 'armchair critic' thats all.

Guys,
Lets remind ourselves that a music system is not the destination. Listening to good music is the destination. Music system is just a mean to reach it. You need a good mood and good recording which are much more important than the system itself.

But I have read a dozen reviews about truely knowlegable people who have 'performance tested' both the cars, & every time McLaren F1 came in the top even though it was slower than the Veyron & 10 years older.

Why?

It is how you get to that level of speed which is more important than absolute top speed, and the F1 was super compsed at 350 km/hr plus and it makes you spine tingle with its normally aspirated 6.1lt BMW V12 engine. Where as in Veyron you are cocooned inside the car. You do not feel the car you just drive & see the speedo doing ludicrois speeds.

Dearest @rishiguru this is what exactly hemantwaghe means that reading on cars and other reviews makes for very little impact and meaning.You have to have some amount of driving under your belt and personal experience.
Or we cannot fight if as it we know it personally.
No one is claiming to have driven any of the above cars in contention ,but we cannot argue forcefully unless we actually experienced them in person.

But yes lets leave this aside. This forum calls for audio quest. :clapping: And wonderful music reproduction.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back