ATC SCM11v2/SCM19v2 Speakers with Nuprime Pre-Power

Weathered

I currently have a Nuprime DAC10H as the preamp/DAC with a Nuprime ST10 stereo power amplifier. Source is a NAD C542 CD player or a windows 10 laptop with foobar. Sometime back I had a chance to hear ATC SCM11v2 monitors only for about an hour during a trip and they sounded wonderful! I don't remember the partnering equipment, but felt they would be a nice upgrade from my PSB Image B25s.

General opinion on forums/reviews suggest passive ATCs match well with high current amplifiers and perform best when driven with muscle amps from ATC, Symphonic Line, Odyssey, Trigon etc. I barely could find instances of users having ATC+Nuprime combination. One such instance on an AV show - http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/zagreb-av-show/?page=2

My listening room is small at 12x13 feet. Ceiling is tapered with varying height. It's a room with bookshelf on the rear wall, table and bed! So can't afford too much moving from the walls, maybe a maximum of 2-3 feet from front and side walls.

I am considering either SCM11v2 or SCM19v2 but in a dilemma of sorts. My gut feeling is SCM11 should be good without overloading the room. SCM19 is in consideration as it's supposedly better and keeping the future in mind, with plans to move to a new home in an year with a listening room that is a touch bigger at 14x14 feet. I don't want to end up having a feeling that I should have bought the SCM19 instead of SCM11 later. My fear is what if Nuprime ST10 at 150W x 2 at 8 Ohms/4 Ohms does not have enough grunt/current to drive, especially SCM19 to sing at their best. I don't want to end up changing the amplifier and get stuck in a loop!

Unfortunately, there is no dealer to audition with my amplifier in Bangalore. Users on this forum having heard Class D based amplifiers like Nuprime with ATCs, please share your experiences. Looking for inputs from ATC owners as well if they have had chance to compare different Class A/AB/D amplifiers rated for the same power makes in case of ATC speakers.

Congratulations on having some great options in front of you!

Some quick info for you - the ATC SCM 11 and 19 are quite close in size but the 19s are the better speaker. If you have to choose and need to go with a speaker for the long term, the SCM 19 is the speaker to go for. All ATCs need power and the more you can give the better they sound. And in my opinion, they are perfect for smaller rooms.

The Nuprime ST10 are very good amps. And you might be in luck
FM sidvee (@sidvee) has had the ATCs and Nuprime amps and can chime in with his opinion.

Good luck!

Though I don't have too much experience of listening to ATC except at a friend's place.
The first ATC he got was a 2 way SCM19 passive. It was powered by first an Accuphase integrated (around 80 watts) and then with a Line Magnetic tube.
Though Accuphase lacked a bit of power, I personally preferred it sonically over the LM even when the source was Vinyl.

Next he moved up to a pair of 3-way active ATC SCM25pro. It was much better than the SCM19.

I have read quite a few reviews that suggest active ATCs are a safest bet than going around finding a matching amp for a passive set.

I am considering either SCM11v2 or SCM19v2 but in a dilemma of sorts. My gut feeling is SCM11 should be good without overloading the room. SCM19 is in consideration as it's supposedly better and keeping the future in mind, with plans to move to a new home in an year with a listening room that is a touch bigger at 14x14 feet. I don't want to end up having a feeling that I should have bought the SCM19 instead of SCM11 later. My fear is what if Nuprime ST10 at 150W x 2 at 8 Ohms/4 Ohms does not have enough grunt/current to drive, especially SCM19 to sing at their best. I don't want to end up changing the amplifier and get stuck in a loop!

Unfortunately, there is no dealer to audition with my amplifier in Bangalore. Users on this forum having heard Class D based amplifiers like Nuprime with ATCs, please share your experiences. Looking for inputs from ATC owners as well if they have had chance to compare different Class A/AB/D amplifiers rated for the same power makes in case of ATC speakers.

I had a nice listening session recently https://www.hifivision.com/threads/speakers-which-one-yet-another.52412/page-5#post-784901

Subsequently heard them in my room, first with my regular setup (Gumby/Saga/Vidar) and then with two power amps (Vidars). I was expecting only a louder thing happening, what we heard was so much nicer, that I was gobsmacked.

Also heard the SCM11 in another nice room with an Ayon (working as a pre-) and loads of Parasound power. They held their own against a very well regarded F/S.

Point I am making is that the SCM11 are very very nice. They do benefit from and show you the quality of the amplification you run them with. I rather like the SCM11 but am off on a different track now because I realized I would not be content without running them with monoblocs (which for me meant balanced pre- + 1 more power amp). I have not heard the 19s but have read on hfv that they are better, esp in the treble range. I have not heard your amp. but upgraditis is a likely thing I'd wager.

ciao
gr

soundcycle,

the ones you are after - might require monoblocks too - thats my gut feel..

but i dont know - maybe you auditioned them with your amplifier before you leapt ??

regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back