ATC SCM 50 vs JBL Synthesis 4367

muralimmreddy

Hi

I am in process of upgrading my speakers so far narrowed down to these two speakers. ATC SCM 50 passive and JBL 4367. Both are is same ballpark price range.

Both I can not audition with my amplifiers. But have listened to some of the JBL's and owned Klipsch horns and extensively listened to ATC SCM 40 and 11's.

Started my stereo journey with Klipsch rp 600m 5 years back. But for last 3 years owned BBC lineage speakers (harbeth SHL5 and Falcon LS3/5a).

I am hoping to switch (back) to a setup which is more lively, dynamic and fast in contrast to what i have. Both speakers should do justice to the sound signature I am looking. With my previous experience with horns and general research JBL horns should offer immediacy, realism and minimal room interaction. So slightly leaning towards JBL. Would prefer a untreated room and mostly listen low volumes and my amplifier does not have a loudness control.

My room is 12x18 feet (senior JBL owner FM's advised 4367 will be too big for the room though). amplification is Mcintosh MC462 (its 450w so power is not an issue). Looking for a versatile speaker so dont want to stick to a genre of music.

If any one has owned both brands or has perspective on ATC classic series vs JBL Synthesis speakers, please share your views.

Thanks

Have heard both. The modern JBLs while nice sound a bit massaged and don't have the honesty of the old blue ones. 4367 also needs a *big* room. It has a lot of bass.

The ATC 50 on the other hand is a much smaller speaker with much nicer integration and much much tighter bass. It is also more honest. Just buy the active version and sell the McIntosh. It might not be the best match.

In general Sonus Faber mates better to Mcintosh. You may want to consider those - different sound from what you are considering though.
Cheers,
Sid
Could also consider ML1 from mcintosh.

The JBL would surely be big for the room size you mentioned.

The ATC 50 on the other hand is a much smaller speaker with much nicer integration and much much tighter bass. It is also more honest. Just buy the active version and sell the McIntosh. It might not be the best match.
Yes. With ATCs, if possible, take the active route.
Thanks. Unfortunately i am working on wrong order. My investment went to this wonderful power amp. So will have to passive. Will try out the synergy with SCM 40 and make a call.
In general Sonus Faber mates better to Mcintosh. You may want to consider those - different sound from what you are considering though.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks. Have heard good SF speakers at allegro audio, side by side with Harbeths SHL5. Harbeths are no slouch but kind of bored with warm, dark sound.

I am in process of upgrading my speakers so far narrowed down to these two speakers. ATC SCM 50 passive and JBL 4367. Both are is same ballpark price range.

Very interested in following your findings.
The SCM 50 is possibly my next speaker so going to follow this thread closely.

Thanks. Unfortunately i am working on wrong order. My investment went to this wonderful power amp. So will have to passive. Will try out the synergy with SCM 40 and make a call.

Thanks. Have heard good SF speakers at allegro audio, side by side with Harbeths SHL5. Harbeths are no slouch but kind of bored with warm, dark sound.
What speaker cable was used for the Sonus. Biwire the Sonus with another one and hear the difference.

Hi

Both I can not audition with my amplifiers. But have listened to some of the JBL's and owned Klipsch horns and extensively listened to ATC SCM 40 and 11's.

Started my stereo journey with Klipsch rp 600m 5 years back. But for last 3 years owned BBC lineage speakers (harbeth SHL5 and Falcon LS3/5a).

I am hoping to switch (back) to a setup which is more lively, dynamic and fast in contrast to what i have. Both speakers should do justice to the sound signature I am looking. With my previous experience with horns and general research JBL horns should offer immediacy, realism and minimal room interaction. So slightly leaning towards JBL. Would prefer a untreated room and mostly listen low volumes and my amplifier does not have a loudness control.

My room is 12x18 feet (senior JBL owner FM's advised 4367 will be too big for the room though). amplification is Mcintosh MC462 (its 450w so power is not an issue). Looking for a versatile speaker so dont want to stick to a genre of music.

If any one has owned both brands or has perspective on ATC classic series vs JBL Synthesis speakers, please share your views.

Thanks
If you're into imaging, I heard that horn loaded speakers doesn't image well compared to other style of speakers.

Heard the JBL 4367 which was paired with Cadence Canasya monos and ARC ref pre. They sounded very good even with regional musics ….which had a normal recording quality . ATC on the other hand needs a perfect system including well recorded source and they love to be played slightly louder

JBL is more immediate with better dynamics than ATC.

ATC also has a much dryer bass. That’s something you need to like to go the ATC route.

If you are into Indian music and classic rock, JBL is a better bet.

ATC is more accurate. JBL is more fun.

Try and get a used JBL L300. They are from the 70s. It’s a consumer model. Extremely nice sounding. They will more likely work better in your room.

ATCs are finicky of the equipment pairing them. You need to get the pairing right. JBLs are way more flexible when it comes to pairing.

Try and get a used JBL L300. They are from the 70s. It’s a consumer model. Extremely nice sounding. They will more likely work better in your room.

ATCs are finicky of the equipment pairing them. You need to get the pairing right. JBLs are way more flexible when it comes to pairing.
Completely agree - My SCM 19 can sound sublime, okay, bad, terrible just based on the amplifier and source pairing. The same is even more true with their upper models. However the active models get the amp part out of the equation and you need to only worry about the source/preamp.

I agree with Prem here completely - the old JBLs are special special speakers and you will not get that sound with modern speakers - JBL/ATC or otherwise.

Hi

Thanks
lively, dynamic, fast - for this the JBL should be the choice between the two ( without any doubt).
as you will be listening at lower volume levels the bass boost coming from the JBL will be make the system sound fuller.
untreated room- with such a low crossover point in the JBL (700hz) and horn loaded compression driver, an untreated room will have significantly lesser effect to the audio performance when compared to the ATC.

minimum listening distance needed to behave as a point source for both the speakers seems to be similar. ( around 10 feet)
12 x 18 feet is a decent size for a 15" speaker.

I feel your inclination towards JBL is right for your requirement.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Prateek Atasniya

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back