Atmos setup - Avr plus amplifier Vs dedicated 9.2 avr

sunster

Hi. For a 9.2 channel setup what's the best way to go about it. A amplifier Avr combo with 2 channels dedicated to the height channels or 3 channels dedicated to LCR. Or
A dedicated 9.2 channel avr

Everything depends on your budget.
There is no thumb rule to decide
I would suggest go with 9 channel AVR with 11 channel preamp out.
In future if your Budget permits add power amp with same AVR

I would always suggest going for very efficient speakers with high sensitivity for HT. One poor avr can't drive all those speakers. My personal cut off is 90db. If your front L&R speakers are in the region of 86 or 87db, add a 2 channel amp for the front two main speakers.

And as reachkalyan said, there are no thumb rules here. You will know whether an additional amp is required only when you put one in the chain, and hear the sound improved.

Iam running a 5.1.4 system with a modest marantz sr6011, with efficient qacoustics concept 40 speakers of 90db sensitivity. It was sounding good. No complains what so ever. And then I added a 2 channel amp of 160w per channel, and the sound really improved. Especially on music in stereo mode. So my amp has stayed stuck in my HT setup now :)

Hello sunster- When you are using an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) you are basically getting both pre-amplifier and power amplifier functionalities in a single box. In general using separate components like amplifier with an AVR is relatively inefficient but if you are using it for height channels then it should be ok. In your situation I would be using a dedicated 9.2 channel AVR w/o any separate amplifier. If you really like to go for separates then buy a dedicated pre-amplifier with 9/11 channels and a set of multi-channel amplifiers (totaling to 9/11 channels) to feed the speakers. The solution with separate components, if adjusted properly, is going to yield much superior performance than an AVR solution but it is also going to be significantly expensive.
Thanks.

What speakers do you have? If you have speakers with 6ohm resistance or less and a low sensitivity your AVR amp will not be able to supply the power and your speakers will clip. If you have small but efficient 8 ohm speakers with high sensitivity stay with a receiver and save the money

Hi. For a 9.2 channel setup what's the best way to go about it. A amplifier Avr combo with 2 channels dedicated to the height channels or 3 channels dedicated to LCR. Or
A dedicated 9.2 channel avr

Get the SR6013 or Higher or get the SR8012 from Marantz.....all depends on your budget.....

I would always suggest going for very efficient speakers with high sensitivity for HT. One poor avr can't drive all those speakers. My personal cut off is 90db. If your front L&R speakers are in the region of 86 or 87db, add a 2 channel amp for the front two main speakers.

And as reachkalyan said, there are no thumb rules here. You will know whether an additional amp is required only when you put one in the chain, and hear the sound improved.

Iam running a 5.1.4 system with a modest marantz sr6011, with efficient qacoustics concept 40 speakers of 90db sensitivity. It was sounding good. No complains what so ever. And then I added a 2 channel amp of 160w per channel, and the sound really improved. Especially on music in stereo mode. So my amp has stayed stuck in my HT setup now :)
Hi

You added two channel stereo Amp or power amp.

Hi Vikas...

I added a 2 channel integrated amp with HT bypass.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you share model no & any suggestions to add to my yamaha Aventage 3040 for front speakers monitor audio gold 300.

As I am planning 7.1.4 atmos speaker setup and yamaha had nine channels Amplification. So need a two channel power amp or good 2 channel integrated amp with ht bypass.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you share model no & any suggestions to add to my yamaha Aventage 3040 for front speakers monitor audio gold 300.

As I am planning 7.1.4 atmos speaker setup and yamaha had nine channels Amplification. So need a two channel power amp or good 2 channel integrated amp with ht bypass.

Hi again Vikas.

Iam using a parasound halo integrated. But Yamaha make some great 2 channel amps. See if you can find the AS2100 or AS3000. Both should have HT bypass, and sound great too. By the way there is another thread on another forum, where a gentleman is looking for the exact same requirement for his MA gold 300'S. And by coincidence he also is using a Yamaha avr. I will post a link to that thread below, please keep checking it once in a while to see some suggestions from experienced audiophiles, unlike newbies like me. All the best :)

Hi guys,
I am planning to build a dedicated Dolby Atmos HT for my newly purchased Denon x3300.

As I have lot of vintage high sensitive full range as well as two way speakers, can I use them in this setup?
Pls suggest.

Hi again Vikas.

Iam using a parasound halo integrated. But Yamaha make some great 2 channel amps. See if you can find the AS2100 or AS3000. Both should have HT bypass, and sound great too. By the way there is another thread on another forum, where a gentleman is looking for the exact same requirement for his MA gold 300'S. And by coincidence he also is using a Yamaha avr. I will post a link to that thread below, please keep checking it once in a while to see some suggestions from experienced audiophiles, unlike newbies like me. All the best :)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I used to have As2000 with Cd1000 but sold it long back.

Will check the thread

Hi guys,
I am planning to build a dedicated Dolby Atmos HT for my newly purchased Denon x3300.

As I have lot of vintage high sensitive full range as well as two way speakers, can I use them in this setup?
Pls suggest.
Timbre matching delivers max value. If you have same brands, go for them. Higher sensitivity vintage likely to be easy load for AVR.
I am using rethm center channel, Fostex Jericho horns for LCR and Philips powerhouse speakers for surrounds. They are powered by Dared DV-6C tube hybrids in a 5.0 setup.

Timbre matching delivers max value. If you have same brands, go for them. Higher sensitivity vintage likely to be easy load for AVR.
I am using rethm center channel, Fostex Jericho horns for LCR and Philips powerhouse speakers for surrounds. They are powered by Dared DV-6C tube hybrids in a 5.0 setup.
Only caveat would be impedence matching between amp and pre outs of Denon, in case you choose to use vintage amps other tube amps.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back