Atmos Speaker Placement

donmathew90

Hey Everyone - I'm upgrading my existing 5.1 setup to a 5.1.2. This setup is in a media room/home office and it has a vaulted ceiling (Dimensions attached - 2nd attachment). Because of the vaulted ceiling, I can't put in-ceiling Atmos speakers. So I'm thinking of mounting them on an L-shaped bracket attached to my rear wall right above my listening position. My recliner is backed up against the rear wall as shown in the 1st attachment. Could you please let me know if this is the right Atmos speaker placement for my room? Or should I get those wedge shaped speakers and put them on my side wall at the top angled towards my listening position?

Also, I'm thinking of getting the Polk OWM3 speakers for Atmos. Is that the right choice of speakers for my use case?

On a side note, I see posts from people that make custom Atmos speakers for around 5k. Will they be good enough?

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• HT.jpg
    HT.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 9
  • HT Dimensions.jpg
    HT Dimensions.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Is having in-ceiling speakers an option for you? If yes, you can check this post about how I've setup the in-ceiling in my home. The speakers are 3 feet from the wall, almost above my knee

Is having in-ceiling speakers an option for you? If yes, you can check this post about how I've setup the in-ceiling in my home. The speakers are 3 feet from the wall, almost above my knee
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, in ceiling speakers aren't an option for me. But I can it place above my head with an L shaped bracket attached to the rear wall.

Hey Everyone - I'm upgrading my existing 5.1 setup to a 5.1.2. This setup is in a media room/home office and it has a vaulted ceiling (Dimensions attached - 2nd attachment). Because of the vaulted ceiling, I can't put in-ceiling Atmos speakers. So I'm thinking of mounting them on an L-shaped bracket attached to my rear wall right above my listening position. My recliner is backed up against the rear wall as shown in the 1st attachment. Could you please let me know if this is the right Atmos speaker placement for my room? Or should I get those wedge shaped speakers and put them on my side wall at the top angled towards my listening position?

Also, I'm thinking of getting the Polk OWM3 speakers for Atmos. Is that the right choice of speakers for my use case?

On a side note, I see posts from people that make custom Atmos speakers for around 5k. Will they be good enough?

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance!
I was facing similar problem as you. I dont have space for in ceiling speakers. I am using 4 Height channels ( 2 front and 2 rear heights ) mounted on front and back wall to complete 5.2.4 setup. This config covers Atmos and Auro 3D also. I seem to be upmixing most content to Auro 3D.

My couch is also very close the back wall, so I went for Sonodyne Sonus 3540 speakers for the height channels. They come with a U shaped metal bracket so the speaker can be rotated to face downwards. Plus its face is already at an angle so that helps. This seems to be a good compromise and I am quite happy with it.

I was facing similar problem as you. I dont have space for in ceiling speakers. I am using 4 Height channels ( 2 front and 2 rear heights ) mounted on front and back wall to complete 5.2.4 setup. This config covers Atmos and Auro 3D also. I seem to be upmixing most content to Auro 3D.

My couch is also very close the back wall, so I went for Sonodyne Sonus 3540 speakers for the height channels. They come with a U shaped metal bracket so the speaker can be rotated to face downwards. Plus its face is already at an angle so that helps. This seems to be a good compromise and I am quite happy with it.
Can you please post pics of where you mounted them on the rear wall? Guessing I'll need to mount them on the side walls towards the rear because I'm only going with 2 Atmos channels.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back