Atmos Upgrade

sunster

Hi all,

Im thinking of upgrading my existing 5.1 system to Atmos. As of now Im running an all Paradigm speaker setup with Paradigm Monitor 9s as Fronts...Paradigm center 1 and Paradigm cinema 30s Dipoles as rear surrounds. The AVR is a Denon - X2200W.I was thinking of adding ceiling speakers in the false ceiling for Atmos. I had the following queries:
1) Would 2 speakers in the main listening zone be enough or would it make a Huge difference to add 4 speakers on either sides of the ceiling to make a 5.1.4
2) Would Atmos make a huge difference in overall listeing experience as opposed to the existing 5.1 which is good as well. Since the Atmos speaker addition will involve considerable wiring, painting etc.
Please chime in with your comments.
Thanks...Sunny

Yes, adding atmos speakers make a huge difference in movie experience.

1. I guess Denon x 2200 supports only 2 speakers for Atmos and not 4. So either you can have it additional speakers as Front high speakers. or Top Mid speakers in the ceiling.

2. Yes, it makes huge difference and if you need to do cabling rework etc. try to install as front height and check, this up may not require much of the change in the painting or reworking in the ceiling.

Would 2 speakers in the main listening zone be enough or would it make a Huge difference to add 4 speakers on either sides of the ceiling to make a 5.1.4

Sorry,I dont understand this query first of all.
Let me try to re iterate (2 speakers in the main listening zone.) I assume here you are not mentioning about main zone and zone 2 categories .hope you are mentioning about 5.1.2 speaker configuration where you can configure front height /atmos enabled/top middle config,if so my vote goes to top middle config.
You cannot add 4 speakers since your AVR supports only 7 channels.
Pratically it is possible but you have to be calculative while connecting series parallel config of resitive (ohmic )value of speaker drivers,otherwise it will endup in loading your AVR unknowingly( less ohmic value).
If you could make out the ohmic value it will be good when you have big length enough room to place pseudo top front l&r top rear l&r atmos config with current AVR

Would Atmos make a huge difference in overall listeing experience as opposed to the existing 5.1 which is good as well.

Yes there is .movie watching experience will be good you feel the immersive imo.

Last edited:
Hi. Sorry for the confusion. I meant what would be better. Adding 2 ceiling atmos speakers or 4 ceiling atmos speakers and would it make a HUGE difference in both.

IF you can hear the difference between sounds around you versus sounds above you, then Atmos will be worth it for you.

2 ceiling speakers will let you hear left-vs-right movement above you. 4 ceiling speakers will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. Up to you to decide whether that's a "HUGE difference". As others have mentioned, your receiver cannot support 4 ceiling speakers.

Do check availability of ATMOS content in the market. Not all movies have ATMOS. So keep in mind this factor also.

IF you can hear the difference between sounds around you versus sounds above you, then Atmos will be worth it for you.

2 ceiling speakers will let you hear left-vs-right movement above you. 4 ceiling speakers will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. Up to you to decide whether that's a "HUGE difference". As others have mentioned, your receiver cannot support 4 ceiling speakers.
Thats a very good point. I have some Atmos content on my Home Theater NAS and hoping that in future there will be more Atmos content but then like you mentioned...will it make really a massive difference because I really have to make some major modifications to fir the inceiling speakers ! Or should I stay with the 5.1s which are still great !!

There is a difference in Atmos.IMO

Here we are here to discuss on the opinion and you have to decide which one is important to you ( budget/ Sound difference )

You have to decide is that good to your ears to justify the amount you are about to spend on Speakers and interiors.

One have to hear the difference to justify whether it is Just a difference or Huge difference and it is really required according your budget and for that you have to Audition.

If you are not convinced with sound quality close the chapter.It is that easy.

Audition is the key .

I would strongly recommend you for Audition.

atb

Do check availability of ATMOS content in the market. Not all movies have ATMOS. So keep in mind this factor also

@zoozoo it does not mean that you can play only Atmos content.
There is an up mix option in AVR to convert your normal 5.1 to fire your existing speaker configuration which includes your ATMOS modules also.

Last edited:
Please demo some atmos setup and then take a call. If possible try to listen to the atmos demo disc or scenes from movies like mad max fury road, and rest assured you will invest in atmos upgrade. In my opinion, the contents are not limited now and its worth an upgrade

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back