Audio cd player for Marantz pm7001

Harmeet

Hi,
My current set up is Marantz PM7001 amp+Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Spkrs+Philips stand alone CD Player-CD165 + Philips DVD player.
Thing is like,Bass output is very loose(low on mid bass) when i play CDs on CD players, but same CDs sounds good(punchy bass) when I play them on DVD player.
Other than mid Bass, CD player gives very natural and smooth sound.
Where as DVD gives kind of metallic output which i dont like.
Would changing my CD player solve this problem i.e. I am looking for natural sound like my philips CD player with tight bass.

Would appreciate if u guys can share ur experience and suggest what can be done here to get better sound output.

Hi Harmeet,
I have no idea of the sonics of the phillips cdp so cant really comment. What u say about the bass baffles me a bit. The bass is taut on the DVD player and 'all over the place' on the dedicated cdp is what u are saying.
If going for a cdp upgrade the best suggestion is to go for a marantz. At about 10/12K there is the 5001 now replaced by the 5003 i think and at about 18K there is the 6002 which was a decent cdp too. The 6002 is a smoother performer with an edge in the mids over the 5001 where as the 5003 (not heard it) looks like their reference series cdps.
Rule out the bass issue being linked to the speakers as the DVD player pleases u with the bass quality so a good CDP seems the best way ahead.
Rgds

Hi Harmeet,
I have no idea of the sonics of the phillips cdp so cant really comment. What u say about the bass baffles me a bit. The bass is taut on the DVD player and 'all over the place' on the dedicated cdp is what u are saying.
If going for a cdp upgrade the best suggestion is to go for a marantz. At about 10/12K there is the 5001 now replaced by the 5003 i think and at about 18K there is the 6002 which was a decent cdp too. The 6002 is a smoother performer with an edge in the mids over the 5001 where as the 5003 (not heard it) looks like their reference series cdps.
Rule out the bass issue being linked to the speakers as the DVD player pleases u with the bass quality so a good CDP seems the best way ahead.
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar,
Thanks for the input.
Please tell me if u have any idea about the performance of Marantz cd6003, spl. bass response.
How about NAD cdps i.e interms of performance compare to maranz of same price range(upto 25k)

Thanks.

get a nad 542 or the newer version of that range
you should find what youre looking for ( the way youve described)

Hi,

I may now have the same problem as Harmeet. My 2ch set-up is following:
Int. Amp ==> Marantz PM6002
CDP ==> NAD C515BEE
Speakers ==> Wharfedale Diamond 9.3
Cables ==> Van Den Hul braided with shield for bi-amp/wire
Stand ==> 24" filled with 1gal. Lovan Black Gold sand.
Interconnect ==> Ultralink Competition series (Canadian)
CD Source ==> TDK cdr lightscribe, 320kbps convert to .wav by Nero
Album ==> Lady Gaga, track "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
Setting ==> Speakers on stand, set apart 1800mm, toed-in 10 deg. (would leave the camber-castor to my car :lol:)

I have connected 2 different players: cdp NAD C515BEE and dvp Pioneer DV600AV.

Problem: The bass seems little loose and is over the place (not really controlled and tight) when playing with the cdp, whereas a bit soft when plaed with the dvp. The music flows with the cdp and seems to be continuous, whereas the dvp gives the impression like a light bulb that goes off and on within milliseconds, and the vocals break up a bit as if it is digitized. The system is in my bedroom that is 7000 x 3500 x 2700 mm. connected alongside my HT set.

I have switched speakers with Mordaunt Short MS904 (c0nnected to avr Onkyo TX-SR606) and find that the overall sounstage is reduced, the bass more soft and somewhat controlled, vocals a bit soft.

The NAD is only 17 hours young, Di9.3 is 140 hours, VDH cables 50 hours, PM6002 is 300+ hours.......Any suggestion how to improve.

I will be moving the 2ch system to a smaller room of 3500 x 2950 x 2700mm. that is acoustically treated by absorbtion foams along windows with carpet, thick curtains, sofa, carpet on laminated floor.......Will see how it goes in this room.

Any idea if the NAD 326BEE would be better sounding than Marantz PM6002 with my current setup....if in case I decide to trade for the NAD......

Hi,

I may now have the same problem as Harmeet. My 2ch set-up is following:
Int. Amp ==> Marantz PM6002
CDP ==> NAD C515BEE
Speakers ==> Wharfedale Diamond 9.3
Cables ==> Van Den Hul braided with shield for bi-amp/wire
Stand ==> 24" filled with 1gal. Lovan Black Gold sand.
Interconnect ==> Ultralink Competition series (Canadian)
CD Source ==> TDK cdr lightscribe, 320kbps convert to .wav by Nero
Album ==> Lady Gaga, track "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
Setting ==> Speakers on stand, set apart 1800mm, toed-in 10 deg. (would leave the camber-castor to my car :lol:)

I have connected 2 different players: cdp NAD C515BEE and dvp Pioneer DV600AV.

Problem: The bass seems little loose and is over the place (not really controlled and tight) when playing with the cdp, whereas a bit soft when plaed with the dvp. The music flows with the cdp and seems to be continuous, whereas the dvp gives the impression like a light bulb that goes off and on within milliseconds, and the vocals break up a bit as if it is digitized. The system is in my bedroom that is 7000 x 3500 x 2700 mm. connected alongside my HT set.

I have switched speakers with Mordaunt Short MS904 (c0nnected to avr Onkyo TX-SR606) and find that the overall sounstage is reduced, the bass more soft and somewhat controlled, vocals a bit soft.

The NAD is only 17 hours young, Di9.3 is 140 hours, VDH cables 50 hours, PM6002 is 300+ hours.......Any suggestion how to improve.

I will be moving the 2ch system to a smaller room of 3500 x 2950 x 2700mm. that is acoustically treated by absorbtion foams along windows with carpet, thick curtains, sofa, carpet on laminated floor.......Will see how it goes in this room.

Any idea if the NAD 326BEE would be better sounding than Marantz PM6002 with my current setup....if in case I decide to trade for the NAD......

I finally found the problem with my 2ch setup. It's the NAD C515BEE cdp. that has heavier midtone and bass.

I auditioned Marantz CD5003 cdp with PM6002 and PM7001 + Di9.3 speakers and VDH cables, the same track (Lady Gaga "Nothing Else I Can Say") played at 12 o'clock.

IMHO, the PM7001 + CD5003 + Di9.3 sounded far better, with more controlled bass tone. At last, I could hear the bass guitar play the different cords.:clapping:

BTW, I managed to get hold of a brandnew PM7001 Black (I guess probably the last one in Thailand at THB 11300).

Back home, I connected PM7001 + NAD C515BEE and played the same track, and there the problem was.......NAD cdp C515BEE did not match with Marantz int amp. PM6002 or PM7001, as long as they were connected to wharfedale Diamond 9.3. I switched speakers and connected MS 904 instead, and the bass improved by a small percentage. I could still feel that the bass was loose and uncontrolled, and not in snyc with the music. My only option left is to get the Marantz cdp to go with the PM7001, whereas PM6002 and Nad C515BEE would go on sale immediately, along with Supra's King Cobra single wire speaker cables......

Next, gonna try PM7001 + CD5001 (demo left) + Di9.3 + PC12+ + VDH braided on the 1-3 Jan....

I could still feel that the bass was loose and uncontrolled, and not in snyc with the music..

Is it possible only the loose bass may be due to CDP and "not-in-sync" issue may be with speaker timing?

Regards

Is it possible only the loose bass may be due to CDP and "not-in-sync" issue may be with speaker timing?

Regards

Hi gobble,

The loose bass is due to the speakers having 8" woofers + the cdp have a deeper midtone to low bass that adds up. The "not in sync" is probably due to the retraction of the woofers being a bit slower due to its sheer size....guess gotta fine tune a bit by moving things around cms. by cms...

Guys, go the HDD + DAC or the PC + Asus Xonar Essence STX way.
Flexible & Future proof !

Hi Kamal, which DAC are you using? I saw CA have two smaller versions of DAC that costs around THB 5000 (IRS 6500) and THB 10000 (INR 13000). Can't remember which dealer had it.

Ravin, it'll be either the Beresford or the CA Dac Magic, HDD based storage/retrieval.
But there's another way-catch excerpts from John Atkinson's review of the Asus sound card Xonar Essence ST/STX, posted by Venkat in a separate thread.
Exciting options now for audiophiles...

I don't know if this is pertinent in your case, but I had a great improvement in the tightness of the bass with my MA BR2 + PM7001 combination when I bi-wired them. I know ppl are very divided on this, but my ear tells me that bi-wiring works. At least in my case.

I
IMHO, the PM7001 + CD5003 + Di9.3 sounded far better, with more controlled bass tone. At last, I could hear the bass guitar play the different cords.:clapping:

That's a bit confusing for me. I am using absolutely entry level set up(may be even below that: with AIWA DVDp, Yamaha RXV 361 and homemade single driver open baffle).
I never miss bass guitar notes.(I can say this because i used to be a guitar player and have played bass guitar on stage). I read your set up and it seems to be quite expensive. How come you were missing the bass guitar on that set up?

Or may be my open baffles are doing the trick.
That puts me in dilemma. Am i going to get any improvement by adding a CDP? :confused:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back