Marantz PM8006 or Cambridge Audio CXA81

robertjohnhandran

I currently have the following setup for stereo music. Marantz UD7007 CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Player, Audiolab 6000N Streamer, Marantz PM7005 Int. Amp. and Wharfedale Diamond 11.4 Floorstanders. I am NOT very happy with the sound. Too harsh and bassy, poor sound stage, and not enough separation. I m thinking of upgrading using the Amplifier-first and Speakers-next pathway. So I thought of CA CXA81 (that's my budget), but I don't like too bright and too fatiguing sound. Would the PM8006 be a significant improvement over PM7005? Or are there other better well balanced integrated amps at this price point (~ Rs. 120,000/ -)?

If you are not happy with the sound of the Wharfies, change them first and then consider amps according to new speakers.
Although it is difficult to imagine Wharfies to be harsh. Boomy/bassy and bad sound stage may be due to room/placement.
Cheers,
Raghu

The Audiolab could be responsible for the harshness. Or, do you find it harsh with the 7007 as well?
I have the 6000N. Had a chance to try out the new Node and the difference was quite apparent.

I currently have the following setup for stereo music. Marantz UD7007 CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Player, Audiolab 6000N Streamer, Marantz PM7005 Int. Amp. and Wharfedale Diamond 11.4 Floorstanders. I am NOT very happy with the sound. Too harsh and bassy, poor sound stage, and not enough separation. I m thinking of upgrading using the Amplifier-first and Speakers-next pathway. So I thought of CA CXA81 (that's my budget), but I don't like too bright and too fatiguing sound. Would the PM8006 be a significant improvement over PM7005? Or are there other better well balanced integrated amps at this price point (~ Rs. 120,000/ -)?
Hold your horses! Let’s try to sort this step by step.
Poor imaging, separation, and boominess could be occurring from poor speaker placement, or bad cables/termination. Could you share a image?

Last edited:
I had Wharfedale Diamond 230 FS speakers.

I upgraded the amp first, thinking that is the problem.
Upgraded twice actually.

Realised that speakers are the problem.

Upgraded speakers to Dali Oberon 5s - wonderful sound.

Very expensive experiment.

The Marantz PM7005 is a really good amp.
Pls change your speakers first.

Do consider theDali Oberon 5s -works really well with that Marantz Amp.

Straight off the bat, it's a placement issue. Before taking it with a pinch of salt, and i say this with a certain amount of hubris, have a look at my equipment list.

The CXA 81 is "brighter" than Marantz amps such as the Marantz 6006, NR1509 AND SR6013 in my experience since the former makes details Pop and is much much more revealing.

I have Wharfedale speakers too and they are anything but bright.

To my mind, it's a placement issue. Small tweaks can make a HUGE improvement. If the treble is ever too bright, try these two steps that are free of cost:

1. Ensure that the front baffle of your speakers are at least 1.5 feet away from the sidewalls. Nothing accentuates perceived sharpness as effectively (to our disadvantage) as sidewalls.

2. Ajust toe-in i.e. toe out. Start with the speakers facing straight. If they produce a perfect centre image and the mids aren't muddled i.e. the soundstage doesn't sound vague, you're peachy keen. If not, start toe-ing them in millimetre by millimetre till you achieve a perfect centre image. But don't stop there. Keep toeing them in till the soundstage collapses (it may expand as well but it will eventually collapse once you reach too much toe in - it'll be self evident). Start adjusting them back till it sounds just right. Will require a bit of back and forth but the end result will be magical, to say the least.

3. None of them work? Too many reflections. Sound absorption would be required so be ready to pour in some moolah but much lesser than what is required for new equipment.

before buying new amp or speaker, treat your room with good acoustic panels and mat and see the difference ,then decide.

1. Try the setup in another room. When I shifted to a new flat recently had the same problem as you. Boomy, no focus, bright treble, etc. I shifted the whole setup to another room - problem solved! I have been living on rent for decades and my setup sounds different in every new place.
  2. Try a basic speaker cable. I'm using DAC from Hifimart - super smooth sound compared to my old monster cables.
  3. Don't know how much of a difference the PM8006 will make. Try an audition/comparison with your PM7004 before buying. I have the PM8006 and absolutely love it. I had a PM7000(1990s model) previously and the PM8006 blows it away in all aspects.
  4. Try your amp with other warm-sounding speakers - Q Acoustics, Mission, etc.

Wharfedale 11 series should not be harsh. I have the 11.2 bookshelf speakers. They never get harsh even when I blast thrash/death metal.
If you are not happy with the sound of the Wharfies, change them first and then consider amps according to new speakers.
Although it is difficult to imagine Wharfies to be harsh. Boomy/bassy and bad sound stage may be due to room/placement.
Cheers,
Raghu

Try the amp only with the speakers and playback content you are very familiar with. Then try placements where possible. If all in order then add the blu ray player and check the player settings (audio out). Then once this gets sorted try the Audio Lab......

If all fails then try exploring .

You have a lot of useful suggestions to try before spending big money. Wharfies being described as bright is very unusual. What speaker cables & ICs are you using?

You have a lot of useful suggestions to try before spending big money. Wharfies being described as bright is very unusual. What speaker cables & ICs
The newer Wharfes like Diamond 12 series are a bit bright compared to the 11 series but still have a warm midrange and never get harsh even at higher volumes. The 12.2 series is a very accurate speaker with tighter bass and airy highs. The dtnamics and imaging are excellent for its price. I'm actually tempted to upgrade

as many have mentioned, bass as well as soundstage is more about placements and less about components especially standard components.

Can you post on your placement ? there are threads here which you can search on positioning of speakers ( which contribute maximum)

Harshness can be due to many reasons mostly source and source content dependent..how old are your speakers ?

I think sealed cabinet speakers will be less boomy in any room compared to speakers with port. Eg ATC
If I'm correct 11.4's speakers are slot-loaded bottom ported. I have the 11.2's that have the same design and before I got stands, I kept them in a bookcase 2 inches from the wall. No boom at all. They are very placement-friendly speakers and can be accommodated even on a desktop.

Hold your horses! Let’s try to sort this step by step.
Poor imaging, separation, and boominess could be occurring from poor speaker placement, or bad cables/termination. Could you share a image?
Hi, I used to have a Marantz PM7004.. they sound good, but I also found something.missi g..the full ness ..etc.. Two things changed it for me a) got my room treated by putting up a panel behind me - which made a lot of difference and b) later upgraded to Roksan K3..lot more power, full ness..balanced and non fatiguing.

Separately.as some one else said in this wharfies are not usually bright..in fact they are quite warm..

I recently demoed cx 81 against Denon pma 1600ne on several speakers. To me, CA sounded like something is totally off. Denon on comparison had very very nice contrast between quite and loud passages, and had a grippy feeeling on the woofers. Ca was very sluggish, sounding like something which has no damping on the drivers. May be it’s just my preference, but for that price it sounded very mediocre

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back