Marantz ND8006 or

Hi.

Some thoughts from me.

Speakers :
Consider Dali. They pair really well with Marantz.
The PM8006 can easily drive the Oberon 5s, and even higher end Dalis.
Hesitant to suggest more since you haven't mentioned a budget.

I have the Oberon 5s and sincerely reccomend it.

Streamer :
I am in the same dilemma as you.
Recently acquired a pre-owned Marantz PM8006.
Currently using a Denon DNP-800 as streamer. I also have a WiiM mini.

In terms of SQ, I struggle to differentiate between the Denon DNP-800 and the WiiM mini via DAC.
Therefore, not sure that a ND8006 will add to SQ.

But, I still desire the ND8006 for no reason other than aesthetics - they are a wonderfully matched pair :)

If you have the cash, go for it.
The Marantz twins look great together.

First of all , a huge shout-out to all contributors of this wonderful forum. I've learnt a great deal about Audio just reading your posts.

My current 2 channel setup is as follows:
  1. Transport : WiiM Mini
  2. DAC : Topping E30
  3. Int Amp : Marantz PM8006
  4. Speakers : Pioneer SP-FS52 & sometimes Polk Audio TSX550t
  5. Streaming platform : Spotify , digital collection on Synology NAS which I play from my windows laptop using Foobar 2000 to the aforementioned DAC's USB input
  6. Room size : 12 * 20

While this is good, here's what I believe would make it better!
  1. Getting a better DAC ( Gustard X16 or the Topping DL90. ( purely based on reviews.. please suggest if you have better options )​
  2. Getting a pair of speakers such as , Fine Audio F303 ( again based on reviews...please suggest if you have better options although I might not go for speaker upgrade immediately as the budget is ~ 1Lac)​
  3. Getting a all-in-one system such as the ND8006 for the following reasons:​
    1. Comes with a good quality CD player ( have a few CDs .. would love to play them on ND8006 if I decide to go for it )​
    2. Option of connecting E30 DAC to the analogue inputs of ND8006 or the PM 8006 ( as I'm doing now ) .. ND has a separation circuit at line level to filter out noise.​
    3. Option of connecting laptop to the USB B input​
    4. Natural pairing with PM8006​
    5. Comes with a built-in DAC chip ESS9016 which seems better than the one inside E30 ( correct me please )​
    6. Can still use the WiiM mini for services not available on ND8006 or sell it
    7. Better power mgt which could improve the listening experience ?​
What would you suggest and why. Thanks in advance
Hi,
I use a Marantz NA8005
and can vouch for it.Its extremely good DAC section win hands down to a chord 2 qute in my opinion. Infact bought the chord to replace the marantz , the Marantz stayed.The streamer section is a bit outdated considering the software capabilities,however the sound is really good.sounded comparable/similar in quality to my Sotm sms200.I was considering ND8006 recently for its CD section. I assume ND8006 has a better updated streaming section.

Last edited:
Hi,
I use a Marantz NA8006 and can vouch for it.Its extremely good DAC section win hands down to a chord 2 qute in my opinion. Infact bought the chord to replace the marantz , the Marantz stayed.The streamer section is a bit outdated considering the software cpabiliies,however the sound is really good.sounded comparable/similar in quality to my Sotm sms200.I wa considering ND8006 recently for its CD section. I assume ND8006 has a betetr updated streaming section.

Was not aware that MArantz ever had a streamer only model NA8006.

Do you have any link to the product ?

Google does not show anything. Only the ND8006.

Thanks , will check the reviews but my initial impressions are that the CD is pretty robust.
I've had the 6006 in past, now 8006 pair. The two are like chalk and cheese. ND8006 in a robust made in Japan piece, totally different SQ and construction. You can buy with confidence.

Hi,
I use a Marantz NA8005
and can vouch for it.Its extremely good DAC section win hands down to a chord 2 qute in my opinion. Infact bought the chord to replace the marantz , the Marantz stayed.The streamer section is a bit outdated considering the software capabilities,however the sound is really good.sounded comparable/similar in quality to my Sotm sms200.I was considering ND8006 recently for its CD section. I assume ND8006 has a better updated streaming section.
Thanks Shinto. Interesting that you consider the dac inside nd8005 better than chord cute. I do have some CDs so think it makes sense to go for the nd8006.

I've had the 6006 in past, now 8006 pair. The two are like chalk and cheese. ND8006 in a robust made in Japan piece, totally different SQ and construction. You can buy with confidence.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as the owner of ND8006, how would you rate its streaming capabilities please? Any glitches that haven’t been fixed already ? Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Some thoughts from me.

Speakers :

Streamer :

In terms of SQ, I struggle to differentiate between the Denon DNP-800 and the WiiM mini via DAC.

But, I still desire the ND8006 for no reason other than aesthetics - they are a wonderfully matched pair :)

Thanks Argho for sharing your thoughts. Speakers are not on my shopping list for now as my wife thinks I’ve already ruined her decor so before getting the new ones I’ve been curtly told to get rid of the existing lot. Having said that , will remember this whenever I do. Thanks

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as the owner of ND8006, how would you rate its streaming capabilities please? Any glitches that haven’t been fixed already ? Thanks in advance.
Spotify works smooth.
Airplay also works smooth.
These 2 mainly i use.

Connects to wifi and plays through Spotify Connect like a breeze. No surprises there. Not used Heos much, don't see the need. I'm not a very critical listener and Vinyl is my main source. So I can't give you a nitty-gritty about the quality of the DAC. But it sounds far better than 6005/6006.

Alright folks , here's an update. Finally got the ND8006 2 weeks ago and must confess, dac to dac its far superior to the E30. I've connected the Wiim mini to the optical input as I find it far smoother and interesting as compared to Heos . I use that to browse my local NAS folders as well and it goes on and on without breaking down.

After a week long listening to ND's DAC tried going back to E30 but just couldn't listen to even one complete song as it sounded very shrill. The ND has some interesting features such that it lets you switch a few digital circuits handling headphone , fixed output etc which according to Marantz improves sound quality. I've subscribed to Apple Music and will be listening to hires streams via the USB B . Wish I could give a more detailed account of the setup and listening experience but I'm not good with words so would like to finish this post with a HUGE THANKs to ALL those who helped me with their insights. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi.

Some thoughts from me.

Speakers :

Streamer :

comparing ND8006 v/s Cxn V2 which one will be better for dac & streaming performance , i doubt Marantz has given priority for CD player .

Alright folks , here's an update. Finally got the ND8006 2 weeks ago and must confess, dac to dac its far superior to the E30. I've connected the Wiim mini to the optical input as I find it far smoother and interesting as compared to Heos . I use that to browse my local NAS folders as well and it goes on and on without breaking down.

After a week long listening to ND's DAC tried going back to E30 but just couldn't listen to even one complete song as it sounded very shrill. The ND has some interesting features such that it lets you switch a few digital circuits handling headphone , fixed output etc which according to Marantz improves sound quality. I've subscribed to Apple Music and will be listening to hires streams via the USB B . Wish I could give a more detailed account of the setup and listening experience but I'm not good with words so would like to finish this post with a HUGE THANKs to ALL those who helped me with their insights. Thanks
This was never a contest to begin with! It is honestly like a gully cricket team going up against the test champions.
I have the Marantz NA8005, I used it for long paired with my PM8005, they are sister components and match really well with one another, they should since they were designed for that purpose.
I wanted the ND8006 as well but decided to go with Chord Qutest, the Qutest then wins against the NA8005, by some margin too. That does not mean the NA8005 sounds bad by any means, different levels, that is all.
So for now the NA8005 is solely used for streaming duties and digital out, which is hugely important believe me.

You likely should look at better speakers for your next upgrade, as others have already pointed out. For now though enjoy that shiny Marantz!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back