Marantz PM8006 vs Nad C388

Hi,

I have 2 floor standing speakers Focal Chora 826.

My room size is 13 x 11 feet.

I listen to more of Techno and electronic music.

I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V485 av receiver with my speakers.

I was planning to invest in a stereo amp after a lot a options I have now come down to Marantz PM8006 which has 70 watts output per channel and Nad C388 which has 150 watts output per channel.

Both of them are costing me around 1.5 lac as I have been suggested to purchase a audiolab 6000n with the marantz as it does not have bluetooth connectivity.

Can you please help me choose which one would sound better?

I am wondering with Marantz I am only getting 70 watts per channel so why not go for the Nad which gives 150watts per channel . Does more watts per channel reduce distortion at higher volumes?

Does more watts per channel reduce distortion at higher volumes?
Not necessarily, although having reserve power is good for your speakers.
It’s the quality of power that matters more.

Your choice of amps should be determined by
- your speakers power rating in watts
- auditioning both amps ideally with your speakers to see which sound signature you prefer

If the latter is difficult then at least try to audition them on other similar priced Floorstanders. A blind buy would not be advisable.

Hi,

I was planning to invest in a stereo amp after a lot a options I have now come down to Marantz PM8006 which has 70 watts output per channel and Nad C388 which has 150 watts output per channel.

Both of them are costing me around 1.5 lac as I have been suggested to purchase a audiolab 6000n with the marantz as it does not have bluetooth connectivity.

I am wondering with Marantz I am only getting 70 watts per channel so why not go for the Nad which gives 150watts per channel . Does more watts per channel reduce distortion at higher volumes?
I think 1.5L for the 8006 is WAAAAAAAY too much. I saw it being sold online not too long ago for around 1.

Having said that, i listen to a lot of electronic and techno myself and I'll say the Marantz house sound plays really well with the two genres. I recently got myself the Cambridge Audio CXA81 (80W) which is in the same segment as the 8006 and when i compared it to the sound of my 6006 (45W) and Marantz SR6013 (its an AVR so does power rating really matter?) while playing electronic music, specifically new retro wave by 'the midnight', i liked both the Marantz twins better. Objectively, the CXA81 is clearly a superior amp than these with better dynamics, soundstage depth, imaging and clarity but electronic does seem to favour Marantz. Then again, perhaps its just me and how i like my sound reproduced. I'm sure the 8006 will have the characteristic marantz sound with better dynamics, soundstage, clarity etc. than the lesser models i just spoke of so you needn't be worried about it not having the aforementioned attributes in good measure.

I say find an FM in your city with a Marantz receiver or a PM6006/7005/8006 and have a listen to see whether you like the Marantz house sound with the genres that you listen to cuz Its a serious amount of dough you're about to spend.

Hate to throw in other options to make your decision harder, however with that budget, you can also check out Rega elicit r or its smaller brother Rega elex r. Never heard them with focals so not quite sure about the matching. Two very highly regarded amplifiers. Heard them with other speakers and they sounded very good.

Hi,

Ask your vendor for an audition in your home and take what you like.....

Hi,

Don't worry about the power of PM8006. I play it in a room double your size. It can easily climb to painful levels. I don't listen to your type of music, so I can't comment. But for Western Classical, Jazz and classic rock, it's awesome.
And in hifimart.com, it's available for 99K.
If you want bluetooth connectivity for using as a source, may consider PM7000N. Though 'only' 60P WPC, like all Marantz, it is way more powerful than it's rating. More than sufficient for your room. Can play bluetooth, stream all major services and has a very good DAC inbuilt. For some reason it is priced more than PM8006 in India. Abroad it is 80K equivalent. But if you are willing to spend 1.5L, then it is within your budget.
However, please audition and decide.

Last edited:
Hi,

The PM8006 is a very good amp, but Marantz has the top end rolled off so not sure how good it would sound for Techno and Electronic music. I owned the PM8006 for a short period of time, till I auditioned the Indiq Saptak poweramp which I found to be much better in terms of overall soundstage, layering and imaging. Since you are using the same set of speakers with your AV Receiver (probably for movies too) , seperates might be a better option for you. I would suggest to evaluate the below option
i) Power Amp - Indiq Saptak 2 ch - rated 200+ watts @ 8 ohms . For a room your size this is plenty of power, I use the same with Focal Aria 926 in a 15 by 11 room and the combination really sings well (in comparison to Crown XLS 2502 as a PA, X4500H Receiver , Marantz PM8006). This should cost you about 92k odd

ii) Get a good network streamer like Bluesound Node 2i / Paradigm PW Link / Allo Digione Signature - These would support playback directly over wifi for Spotify, NAS and multiple other streaming services. Should set you back about 20k -40k depending on which one you go for

iii) If budget permits right away , also a good preamp like Schiit Saga+ or any other decent pre-amps available in the market. Else add it in the future. Cost around 25-35k.

This gives you a lot of control over the chain incase if you dont like anything , by allowing you to add/change a DAC/Preamp/Poweramp/Source in the future.

The PM8006 is a very good amp, but Marantz has the top end rolled off so not sure how good it would sound for Techno and Electronic music. I owned the PM8006 for a short period of time, till I auditioned the Indiq Saptak poweramp which I found to be much better in terms of overall soundstage, layering and imaging. Since you are using the same set of speakers with your AV Receiver (probably for movies too) , seperates might be a better option for you. I would suggest to evaluate the below option
i) Power Amp - Indiq Saptak 2 ch - rated 200+ watts @ 8 ohms . For a room your size this is plenty of power, I use the same with Focal Aria 926 in a 15 by 11 room and the combination really sings well (in comparison to Crown XLS 2502 as a PA, X4500H Receiver , Marantz PM8006). This should cost you about 92k odd

ii) Get a good network streamer like Bluesound Node 2i / Paradigm PW Link / Allo Digione Signature - These would support playback directly over wifi for Spotify, NAS and multiple other streaming services. Should set you back about 20k -40k depending on which one you go for

iii) If budget permits right away , also a good preamp like Schiit Saga+ or any other decent pre-amps available in the market. Else add it in the future. Cost around 25-35k.

This gives you a lot of control over the chain incase if you dont like anything , by allowing you to add/change a DAC/Preamp/Poweramp/Source in the future.
Good suggestions, appreciate

I think at higher volume your speakers will have more distortion than your amplifier. (But dont worry about it too much) Specially in low frequency. (Only quality subwoofer and big room solves this problem to get clean low end) I have heard clean 40watts (Hand made speakers + Sony Large boomboxes) in my 10' x 10' Bedroom go quite loud to unlistenable levels. I know 40watts because I measured it. On paper marantz looks like more refined amplifier. Audition will be best way.

Last edited:
I think 1.5L for the 8006 is WAAAAAAAY too much. I saw it being sold online not too long ago for around 1.
looks like shortages (or may be some other reasons) have made almost all electronics price double. Marantz PM7005 which used to sell for around 56k (a year ago) is now selling for above 1L.

looks like shortages (or may be some other reasons) have made almost all electronics price double. Marantz PM7005 which used to sell for around 56k (a year ago) is now selling for above 1L.
PM7005 is discontinued AFAIK and replaced by its do-it-all cousin PM7000N. But that too is absurdly priced. Interestingly PM8006 is available at hifimart.com at almost same price as UK/ USA.

check this in sale section for Marantz PM 8005:

The PM8006 is a very good amp, but Marantz has the top end rolled off so not sure how good it would sound for Techno and Electronic music.
This very characteristic plays well with electronic music. Takes the edge off. For reference, you can Try listening to Skrillex (e.g. bangarang) on a bright or for that matter, even neutral amplifier.

This very characteristic plays well with electronic music. Takes the edge off. For reference, you can Try listening to Skrillex (e.g. bangarang) on a bright or for that matter, even neutral amplifier.

I see, dont listen to electronic music myself but wouldnt take the zing away of the high frequencies. My perception of electronic music might be wrong, guess the low end thump & transients/pace of music are more important ?

I see, dont listen to electronic music myself but wouldnt take the zing away of the high frequencies ?
At the end of the day, Its all a matter of preference. I don’t mind the zing in treble per se cuz i also listen to a lot of metal (which inevitably turns into death metal when friends are visiting) and you should try listening to them through the hifiman he400i + chord mojo. It is a damn bright combination but it really works because percussions and cymbal hits have the satisfying edge, attack and decay in such songs which can also rip ears to shreds if one is not used to such music/sound. However, insofar as electronic music is concerned, i dont find this very characteristic to play too well with the aforesaid combo. In fact, i prefer the inbuilt headphone amp of the Marantz SR6013 to the Chord Mojo for electronica.

PM7005 is discontinued AFAIK and replaced by its do-it-all cousin PM7000N. But that too is absurdly priced. Interestingly PM8006 is available at hifimart.com at almost same price as UK/ USA.
You are probably right. It may have been discontinued. Still two months ago for old stock the prices was as I had mentioned.

At the end of the day, Its all a matter of preference. I don’t mind the zing in treble per se cuz i also listen to a lot of metal (which inevitably turns into death metal when friends are visiting) and you should try listening to them through the hifiman he400i + chord mojo. It is a damn bright combination but it really works because percussions and cymbal hits have the satisfying edge, attack and decay in such songs which can also rip ears to shreds if one is not used to such music/sound. However, insofar as electronic music is concerned, i dont find this very characteristic to play too well with the aforesaid combo. In fact, i prefer the inbuilt headphone amp of the Marantz SR6013 to the Chord Mojo for electronica.

I dont listen to anything bordering on heavy metal , other than very few tracks from metallica/ac dc. I do like cymbals , guitar string to be sharp and prominent in other genres as well. When I listened to few such songs on PM8006 I did not really find the sparkle as against my Indiq Saptak, the Saptak did a much better job of presenting the details with a good amount of sparkle but without sounding bright. On the other hand the CA Azur 651a sounded a little bright to my liking. In addition the sparkle I felt the Marantz fell a little short on maintaining the pace for fast tracks (hence I perceived that it might be an issue for electronics/dubstep , but the low end boost could probably make the drops more fun to listen to on Marantz).

While it boils down to preference, personally I would prefer a fairly neutral amp (especially a power amp) as I can play around with the right DAC/ SS or tube preamp to add the warmth/details as per my preference.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back