Audio Enthusiast: Looking for suggestions from Experts!

yogi

Hi Friends,

I recently came across this group while googling for Hi Fi in Bangalore. After listening to some hight end Hi Fi in UK I'm really blown out and am desparate to get one back home. Instead of getting such equipment to India through customs hassle, I want to buy them in India. I need advice from experts in this group:

1) I have an open living room measuring 18' x 18' and 12' high. I do not like loud volumes. What kind of output power should I be looking at?

2) My interests inlcude New Age, Indian classical (voical), and Ghazals. Any good suggestions for kind/brand of AV player/amplifier/speakers?

3) Is 3D/surround sound possible with 2 speakers? Do I need to go for a home theater?

I guess I stop here. I have a budget of about Rs. 1.2 to 1.5L for eveything inlcuded. Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Keshav.

Hi Keshav,

If you an Audio Enthusiast looking for a good Hi-Fi system then I would suggest you to stick to a stereo syetm rather than a AV system.

You can get an excellent stereo Hi-Fi Setup for 1-1.5L

If you are going for a stereo setup, you should spend 40% of you budget on Speakers, and the remaining on a integrated amp, cd player and cables.

Considering the kind of music you listen to, I would suggest you to first audition the following speakers:

Epos M5, M12.2 or M15.2

Dynaudio Audience 42 or 52

Quad 11L, 12L or 22L

Once you select the speakers you can then go for the amp and cdp.

I have recently bought the Epos M5 to use with Cambridge Audio 640A v2.0 amp and 640C v2.0 cdp.

I made this decision after listening to similiar priced NAD equipment. The total cost was 80K

The EPOS M5 has an excellent clarity in the mid-range which I consider to be important for the kind of music I listen. Of course the bass is limited in this setup.

You can read stereophile magazine review of Epos M5 at http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/405epos/

Thank you Friends! I would like to share my decision/experience with you all after I acquire the system soon.:)

Thank you Friends! I would like to share my decision/experience with you all after I acquire the system soon.:)

You are welcome. However let us know your listening experiences! We would love to hear from you.

BTW have you heard any speakers so far??

I have auditioned B&W 700 Series. Simply out of the world. But, it looks quite out of my budget at the moment.

I have auditioned B&W 700 Series. Simply out of the world. But, it looks quite out of my budget at the moment.

The 700 series is one of the best buys from B&W but I find the B&W speakers overpriced by 20-25% in India. The official price for the 704 is $2200.00.

You could aslo hear the new CM7 floorstanders, which is priced at $1800.00 (999) per pair.

If interested you could read the review of B&W CM7

Hi jagat,
This is nanda kumar,
I have purchased acoustic energy evo 3 flooring standing speakers 150 rms @8 ohms, advance acoustics stereo amps map 105 70 w @ 8 ohms with marantz cd player.I find the low frequency is not bumby enough but the high is excellent. Have i miss matched the speakers and the amps or is this the ways it sounds. Please advice.

Hi jagat,
This is nanda kumar,
I have purchased acoustic energy evo 3 flooring standing speakers 150 rms @8 ohms, advance acoustics stereo amps map 105 70 w @ 8 ohms with marantz cd player.I find the low frequency is not bumby enough but the high is excellent. Have i miss matched the speakers and the amps or is this the ways it sounds. Please advice.

I think you should give a speakers some time to break in before you will be able to hear the low frequencies. Also check with your hi-fi dealer for some cables and see if the lows improve if you replace the interconnects, power cables and speaker cables.

[think you should give a speakers some time to break in before you will be able to hear the low frequencies. Also check with your hi-fi dealer for some cables and see if the lows improve if you replace the interconnects, power cables and speaker cables.[/QUOTE]

Hi jagat.
I meet the dealer and requested him for a demo of creek evo amplifier. I audioned both advance acoustic map 105 amp and creek evo amplifier and definetly creek was a far better amp. The music was bass had a better punch. Should I go in for this , please help

I have not heard the Creek Evo but have heard the Creek 5350SE which I absolutely love. try and compare the Evo to the 5350SE and then buy the one that sounds better to your ears.

Here is a review of the Creek Evo

Try the ProAc speakers and pair them with Arcam...dont go alone for the audition...you might be blown away...

Hi jagat,
This is nanda kumar,

Hello Nanda -

to chip in, like said above, there needs a break in time. also, check if the speakers are bi-wirable. IF so, that would enhance the low frequencies and mids. Since the speaker is front ported, there shldnt be a problem, but do try the distances from the wall and toe-in techniques. it will improve. hope this helped.

cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back