Audio-gd DAC

As your system is new, give it time to burn in, kingwa said 500hrs for the dac I had. It will slowly open up and music will get rounded and deep. Once it reaches its potential, then you will definitely find improvements in good digital sources.

There are two issues with laptop USB port.
The jitter in the data part and noise in the power part.
A good DAC will address the jitter part but not the noise even though the DAC maybe self powered.
The ALLO and other brand transports address this part in particular. They provide a USB port with the noise factor down.
I have extensively used PC/laptop as transport, but after switching to the ALLO USBridge, there has been no turning back.
If using chord mojo do u still need Allo usbridge?

There are two issues with laptop USB port.
The jitter in the data part and noise in the power part.
A good DAC will address the jitter part but not the noise even though the DAC maybe self powered.
The ALLO and other brand transports address this part in particular. They provide a USB port with the noise factor down.
I have extensively used PC/laptop as transport, but after switching to the ALLO USBridge, there has been no turning back.
Isn't this supposed to vary with laptops?

Very much doubt its your DAC that's at fault. I've been using lower spec Audio-gd DAC with a Linn Klout Amp and Dynaudio speakers and it's always sounded beautiful. You have a top-end model which is highly rated on Head-fi forums.

If you're able to test with any neutral sounding Danish or British speakers and a Hi-res HDtracks source file through Foobar it will give a much truer picture of the DAC's capability.

Very much doubt its your DAC that's at fault. I've been using lower spec Audio-gd DAC with a Linn Klout Amp and Dynaudio speakers and it's always sounded beautiful. You have a top-end model which is highly rated on Head-fi forums.

If you're able to test with any neutral sounding Danish or British speakers and a Hi-res HDtracks source file through Foobar it will give a much truer picture of the DAC's capability.
Yes. Not only in Head-fi forum, in many forums including 6 moons audio forum, it has been discussed, reviewed and regarded as high end DAC. With that reviews only I have purchased the DAC with $ 2580 and matching Pre-amp Master 1 from Audio-gd.
I am yet to tweak the settings. Lets see. I am confident with tweaks and burn in it will sound much better.
Thanks @Kumar101 for your feedback.

My audiogd dac i found it to be susceptible to power cord and polarity of power also.i tried a thicker power cord and bass went deeper and instruments more separated.

Hi SKB,
I am using Audio-GD DAC-19 (R2R based). It is getting digital signal thru SPDIF out of Xonar Essence PCI soundcard. DAC-19 output goes to Prometheus Pre-amp (Passive pre design) and power amp is Adcom 545 MkII. I haven't faced issues mentioned in your post quoted below. Even without burn-in your R2R DAC should deliver good frequency extension on both ends, i.e deep bass and sparkling highs. With extended burn-in you will get more definition on every factor (i.e better Open sound /soundstage /imaging /PRAT, etc), and as far as frequency extension is concerned, Audio-GD R2R DAC will deliver it from day-one.

Considering that rest of your equipment is better than mine, you shouldn't be facing freq-extension issues.... however there may be two reasons that is resulting in issues. One is using USB for data transmission, second is lack of synergy between USB cable/interconnects /Speaker cables/remaining electronics. While experimenting with various interconnects in my system earlier, I have come across some respectable interconnects (IC), having rave reviews on internet, sounding like #@&! in my system. One IC took away all the bass below approx 500 Hz... That IC acted almost like a brick-wall filter! Hence synergy is very important in Hi-end system.

As 1st priority, I suggest you try giving the DAC an SPDIF output from a good CD player. If this doesn't work then experiment with various IC's. You don't need expensive IC's to start with... what you need is experimentation with IC's having variety of characters... ie Warm /neutral /bright. My DAC to pre IC is warm, and Pre to Power IC is bright. Theoretically this should give a sonic signature having holes in freq-band, however to my ears the end-result is coherent. (Both IC's are less than 10k for a pair)

Wish you Happy Exploration!!
Regards,

The sound quality should be well round with deep lows and sharp highs. Vocals are always good with such kind of system. Getting deep lows also but highs are not at all satisfactory specially the sound of high hats which i feel is sweetest of all. If at all it is there it seems to be little distorted and does not not seem to be realistic. A kind of artificial sound. All the interconnects are audioquest XLR and speaker wires also. I am playing FLAC or WAVE files ripped from my own audio CD.

Hi SKB,
I am using Audio-GD DAC-19 (R2R based). It is getting digital signal thru SPDIF out of Xonar Essence PCI soundcard. DAC-19 output goes to Prometheus Pre-amp (Passive pre design) and power amp is Adcom 545 MkII. I haven't faced issues mentioned in your post quoted below. Even without burn-in your R2R DAC should deliver good frequency extension on both ends, i.e deep bass and sparkling highs. With extended burn-in you will get more definition on every factor (i.e better Open sound /soundstage /imaging /PRAT, etc), and as far as frequency extension is concerned, Audio-GD R2R DAC will deliver it from day-one.

Considering that rest of your equipment is better than mine, you shouldn't be facing freq-extension issues.... however there may be two reasons that is resulting in issues. One is using USB for data transmission, second is lack of synergy between USB cable/interconnects /Speaker cables/remaining electronics. While experimenting with various interconnects in my system earlier, I have come across some respectable interconnects (IC), having rave reviews on internet, sounding like #@&! in my system. One IC took away all the bass below approx 500 Hz... That IC acted almost like a brick-wall filter! Hence synergy is very important in Hi-end system.

As 1st priority, I suggest you try giving the DAC an SPDIF output from a good CD player. If this doesn't work then experiment with various IC's. You don't need expensive IC's to start with... what you need is experimentation with IC's having variety of characters... ie Warm /neutral /bright. My DAC to pre IC is warm, and Pre to Power IC is bright. Theoretically this should give a sonic signature having holes in freq-band, however to my ears the end-result is coherent. (Both IC's are less than 10k for a pair)

Wish you Happy Exploration!!
Regards,
Thanks for the suggestion @sonoshere.

Completely agree with @sonosphere, as we go higher up the ladder in equipment, system becomes very sensitive to cables. I am also using audiogd dac19 also with amanero combo usb. I never found usb input to be very great. I am now using Allo digione signature with spdif out. I think in your case and what you have described, try different interconnects, speaker cables and believe me one of them will nail it.

Completely agree with @sonosphere, as we go higher up the ladder in equipment, system becomes very sensitive to cables. I am also using audiogd dac19 also with amanero combo usb. I never found usb input to be very great. I am now using Allo digione signature with spdif out. I think in your case and what you have described, try different interconnects, speaker cables and believe me one of them will nail it.
@firearm12 I purchased a Singxer SU 1 DDC and using IIS output feeding to DAC. After SU 1 sound has improved a lot but still not up to my satisfaction. I mean to say not like the vintage vinyl like feeling that I used to listen, the crisp and detailed sound.
Any idea of comparison between Singxer SU 1 and Digione signature?

@firearm12 I purchased a Singxer SU 1 DDC and using IIS output feeding to DAC. After SU 1 sound has improved a lot but still not up to my satisfaction. I mean to say not like the vintage vinyl like feeling that I used to listen, the crisp and detailed sound.
Singxer SU-1 takes USB input and converts it into other formats with good clock..in your case it is IIS...whereas Digione signaute is player/streamer also it is not having good chrystek clock like SU-1. Secondly HDMI cable matters in case of SU-1...it should be short and should be having good shielding...i have experienced huge improvement after changing generic cable to Supra one...

John at darko audio rated digione signature above auralic aries. Singxer su1 should be fine I think as source. I somewhere feel from what you have described, its more related to cables. Try different interconnects. By nature we try to get more expensive cables which can disappoint sometimes and sound real shit. I have tried loads of interconnects and right now using mogami 2549, it's cheap and its the best I have used until now.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back