Audio GD Master 7 dac

square_wave

Been reading a bit about this dac these days. Very intriguing piece of gear. Purposeful and focussed design with a specific target in mind. Interesting chip and design choices.

The dac seems to have a good following. Mostly coming from a matter of choice to stay with the 1704 chip, design choices and magic therein.

On each channel of the DAC Master 7, Audio-gd uses four Burr-Brown PCM1704K analogue digital convertors. The PCM1704K is compatible with 24 bits to 192 kHz digital audio signals, having only one channel and the ability to invert the phasing of the signals. The conversion is R2R and only uses the digital signal bits to reconstruct the analogue signals acting on a network made up exclusively of resistances that have a given value (R*) and their double (2R) without passing via any sampling.

Anyone has any experience with the dac ?

I've been using audio-gd DAC 19-DSP for many years. Its based PCM1704K and believe me its very, very good. I tried several other DACs before and this is the one intended to keep for some time. The only thing with the PCM1704K is that its not very forgiving if you play compressed bad recordings they will sound awful. Give it High good quality high bit rate FLAC recordings its simply stunning. Its a very neutral sounding DAC.

If I could afford the Master 7, then, I would buy at a blink of an eye.

Here is a review:
Audio Dandy - How to enjoy High Resolution Audio

Last edited:
hi

I've been on the lookout for a good DAC for my 2-channel stereo set-up and had shortlisted the W4S DAC2SE (~Rs.1.1L), and then also looked at the Marantz HD-DAC1 (~Rs.50k) as an alternative.

I was reading through the forum for what alternatives and hit upon this conversation...I'm originally from Chennai but am currently here in Shanghai on a short term business assignment and seeing the Audio-Gd is based in Guangdong China, was thinking why not extend my scope to include the Audio-GD too...

My stereo set-up is a Yamaha A-S2100 int. amp and Dali Opticon 8 spkrs. I plan to use my Macbook Pro as the source with the DAC eventually...

I appreciate your feedback on what are the possible models that I can consider in the audio-gd line up for the 50k - 1L range.

I'm not familiar with what sonic advantages the Singularity range offers over the Single Ended DAC range....any info would be useful. thanks

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back