Audio only HDD player

cha_indian

Hi

Was reading about WD TV and Elektron EHP-606 and was wondering whether there is only a audio only version. I need a solution to store all my MP3, WAVs and FLAc media in a HiFi component that connects to the amp. I dont need video at all ! Is there any Audio only media player ??? :confused:. Sound quality has to be of highest order

Hi

Was reading about WD TV and Elektron EHP-606 and was wondering whether there is only a audio only version. I need a solution to store all my MP3, WAVs and FLAc media in a HiFi component that connects to the amp. I dont need video at all ! Is there any Audio only media player ??? :confused:. Sound quality has to be of highest order

Your best option is iPod.You can store,play,portable,output to amp.Price starts from 2000.If you want more out of money ,then WD tv is good.

Honestly i felt the sound quality of Sony Ercsson walkman series phones to be better than a iPod ! Even if we use iPod, would it be equal to a CD player?

Partially.If you convert CD to wma or flac then you can enjoy it as original(lossless formats)
There are other companies like Sony,Samsung which has good output.
Check online reviews.Even Sony Ercsson walkman series phones also can be connected to amp.

I agree with cha_indian
I don't have an ipod, and I probably wouldn't buy any. I have sony erricson cybershot k550i and I love it. I use the headphones from walkman series that go all the way in your ears.
I have philips 5896 and 5996 dvd players. Both can play media from external USB hard disk, and transfer the signal to an external DAC through coax digital out. 5996 has USB 2.0 so I went for it.

I feed this digital signal output from my dvd player to my onkyo receiver - I get good sound out. Weak parts in my system are my receiver(not too sure) and speakers (very sure)

Now the good thing is, I can ALSO connect my Sony erricson phone via USB to this DVD player. Phone turns into file transfer mode. I select a file and start transfer, the file starts playing on my music system. DAC used is again of my onkyo avr. Maybe similar system is available on ipod as well. Will try some day with a borrowed ipod.

I have even tried analog outs from sony phone to my music system and car (alpine system showroom fitted in my skoda octavia) - and I like it.

In a nutshell, I think my philips players are decent solutions as a transport, for handling media stored on external hard disk. Total cost - around 10-11k for hard disk (I have seagate agent) + dvd player. All you may need is a connection to a good DAC - all receivers have it, some CD players have one or maybe 2 (like CA 704C and some HK 970, 980 990 cd players), or you can buy an expensive separate DAC.

Puzzles I need to solve

1. how to create playlists. Maybe my dvd player can understand playlists from windows media player.
2. how to send files from my comp to dvd player over USB. If my sony erricson can, my computer should be able to do that as well. Just a puzzle to solve, no real value as I can always sync my hdd with my computer once in a while. Computer has loads of things and OS would play with my HDD for more things than just the music files - while my external HDD connected to DVD player has to do serve just one request - the file currently being played.

regards

what we need is :

1. A Hifi component with HDD.
2. The component should be controlled with a touch screen input device (12 cm X 8 cm would be great).
3. Touch screen should be detachable
4. Should look like a Winamp or Windows media player :)
5. Should be availble for less than 10,000 :D

What I can suggest you is - buy an old hp ipaq (or any other touch phone) and write a software for it.
You can also use it as a touchscreen "remote" control - there are software available to convert your windows phone/ palmtops into remote. Modify the UI to suit your taste. In this case, you don't even need to place your HDD player anywhere close to the control.

I am planning to do the same with my old hp ipaq - torn between using it as a regular phone or just a fancy media remote control. Mine was probably the first phone to have wifi (hp ipaq 6315). Current it is not being used as I have misused it so much that it has bruises all over it's body, and antenna is chopped off.

regards

1. A Hifi component with HDD.
2. The component should be controlled with a touch screen input device (12 cm X 8 cm would be great).
3. Touch screen should be detachable
4. Should look like a Winamp or Windows media player :)
5. Should be availble for less than 10,000 :D

Cha_Indian, what you are looking for is a music server. There are some made by companies such as Linn, CA, NAD etc. None of these are cheap. In addition, these units have version and file compatibility issues. As new formats emerge, you need to find ways to upgrade these players.

A better option (and much cheaper if you already have a PC) is to store all your files on the PC, use whatever programs you want to manage them, and find a way of streaming your files to your audio system. In streaming, I think the best for the last few years has been the Squeezebox. Nothing comes near it at that price point. I think you can pick up a Squeezebox in India for about 15,000. Of course there are others such as Sonos, but they are more expensive.

Using a PC also makes more sense. Hard drives have become ridiculously cheap. I believe a 1TB drive is available today for less that 7,500. Most media servers are restricted by HDD size, as the vendors flaunt their superior musicality, ease of use, and other features. I am sure a good sound card can give you better output than most of these servers.

If you are a little averse to streaming, find a portable player and use that for some time till you refresh the songs in it. In my mind an iPOD and Wadia's iTransport is the most elegant solution. But of course, if you don't like the iPOD, that is out. The problem with other portable players (some of them are really nice and play FLAC files also) is the connectivity and other issues, particularly from third party vendors.

Cheers

no kidding! But it can take a lot of time to write it.

Anyways, there is pre-written software for it. Download VITO Remote 4.0 Free Trial - Turn your Pocket PC into all-in-one infrared remote control! Skins, hardware buttons, CCF, macros and more. Now supports Windows Mobile 2003 SE! and TV remote controler - this one has a shareware license.

Maybe if you do not like the UI of this software, you can write the mods, or request the company selling this software to give you the mod.
I think there is one more such software. Please search google for it.

I like my philips 5996 + external 250GB hard disk solution. It is upgradable on hdd, player, dac - everything - and is dirt cheap. Except that I still don't know how to create playlists.

regards

Will agree with Venkat here. Nothing beats the ease of use of a PC and its practically unbeatable in terms of playing any format thrown at it, can make playlists, have a library that auto-refreshes every time new content is added, and any soundcard with a digital out costing around Rs. 1000 will take care of connecting to any AVR. Even media players like Foobar2000, XMPlay and good old Winamp do a great job with all their plugins/codecs. I have not regretted moving my music collection to the PC after my Sony CD player broke down. Also the PC offers practically unlimited capacity (I have 3 HDD totaling nearly 1 GB as of now) and can yet add more or replace with HDD of higher capacity.

I too agree with Venkat and you.
But there is no place for a comp in my living room. I have a spare laptop, but that too is noisy, bulky and kind of not necessary after I got this dvd+hdd combo.
I would be buying a sound card too just to play around. I am thinking of creative x-fi, available for 4k here in Delhi.

regards

Will agree with Venkat here. Nothing beats the ease of use of a PC and its practically unbeatable in terms of playing any format thrown at it, can make playlists, have a library that auto-refreshes every time new content is added, and any soundcard with a digital out costing around Rs. 1000 will take care of connecting to any AVR. Even media players like Foobar2000, XMPlay and good old Winamp do a great job with all their plugins/codecs. I have not regretted moving my music collection to the PC after my Sony CD player broke down. Also the PC offers practically unlimited capacity (I have 3 HDD totaling nearly 1 GB as of now) and can yet add more or replace with HDD of higher capacity.

I too agree with Venkat and you.
But there is no place for a comp in my living room. I have a spare laptop, but that too is noisy, bulky and kind of not necessary after I got this dvd+hdd combo.
I would be buying a sound card too just to play around. I am thinking of creative x-fi, available for 4k here in Delhi.

regards

Creative is good, been using for years, but do read up on the Asus Xonar, rated quite high. Its on my agenda too for the next round of upgrades.

Actually I am looking at a decent usb sound card to connect to my spare laptop.
What is the cost of this xonar?

Actually for me, it makes little sense to use my ipaq for remote control, as my logitech harmony is good enough for my needs.
It handles my audio switching at avr level, and video switching at projector + avr level. I can program it to whatever I need. It also controls my AC.

But I will do it for fun. When my ipaq is back from its grave.

regards
Anant

no kidding! But it can take a lot of time to write it.

Anyways, there is pre-written software for it. Download VITO Remote 4.0 Free Trial - Turn your Pocket PC into all-in-one infrared remote control! Skins, hardware buttons, CCF, macros and more. Now supports Windows Mobile 2003 SE! and TV remote controler - this one has a shareware license.

Maybe if you do not like the UI of this software, you can write the mods, or request the company selling this software to give you the mod.
I think there is one more such software. Please search google for it.

I like my philips 5996 + external 250GB hard disk solution. It is upgradable on hdd, player, dac - everything - and is dirt cheap. Except that I still don't know how to create playlists.

regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back