Audio Quality Difference

forever.pramod

Bought Schiit Modi Multibit last week. Connected to my setup, tried to make a A-B comparison, but found no difference. I just need a suggestion - should I wait for more days to compare or need any changes in my existing cables etc.

Chain A : Media Player (HDMI Digital Out)==> Sony Bravia TV (Pre Out via cheap RCA interconnects)==>Marantz PM 8005 =>Dali Zensor 7 (Using DAC of TV)
Chain B : Media Player (Bluerigger Coaxial Subwoofer cable)==>Modi Multibit==>(DAC RCA interconnects)==>Marantz PM 8005 =>Dali Zensor 7 (Using Schiit DAC)

I am using FLAC files as source media, but when I changes the source of Marantz from remote to make a A-B comparison, I never find any difference. The DAC has been used approximately 10-12 hours till now. So, should I wait for burn in period to get more better quality or anything else I need in my setup ? Or is it my ears those needs replacement :)

Even I got the Multibit couple of weeks back and it made a huge difference, try changing the Cables (borrow from a friend) first and see it makes any differene

If you ask me I believe it's the speakers that are not highly resolving which in turns makes everything sound the same. The Dali Z7's are great speakers for general applications.

If you ask me I believe it's the speakers that are not highly resolving which in turns makes everything sound the same. The Dali Z7's are great speakers for general applications.
Second that, I have observed the same thing. Speakers that are not so resolving has very little effect of change in better DAC or source

Now I think I should believe the same, as I dont think people will give false positive feedbacks/reviews about it in many sites. I tried with 3 different DACs for A-B-C comparison.

1. Built-in DAC of Sony Bravia TV
2. ESS SABRE32 audio DAC of Media Player (Popcorn Hour A-410)
3. Modi Multibit

Strangely, all 3 sounds same to me.

But still not able to understand that how people, having bookshelfs costing less than that of my FS, are satisfied with this DAC and my speakers are can't satisfy me. Although I am not aware about the term "resolving" and I should not judge a speaker by its cost.

Last edited:
Must be quite disappointing to know there is a term 'resolving' is applied to speakers. BTW we know there is this term 'reference' which is the top-line of the range of speakers a brand is manufacturing. But another brand's entry level can be better than that of others reference type.
But the challenge is to get the best out of own's resources. And changing source, cables and equipment can improve the resolution of the speaker.

Could you share some information like distance from the wall placements etc.. a pic will be more intuitive to comment on.

I would say it's a shame that even speakers worth 60-70k aren't resolving enough to realize the difference between a TV dac and a good midfi dac like schiit itself.
Probably there's some weak link in the chain that's not letting you realize the difference.

I will share the same, but the points to be worried, keeping all other factors except DAC same, there must be a difference.
Come on. You have pretty much decent equips, there must be some problem with either room or the placement, or even with the content you play with. So just elaborate about the setup. Definitely your problem will be solved in a short period of time.

Are you not happy with how your setup sounds with just Marantz as amp and DAC? If no, then its a worry, else consider yourself Lucky. Sit back and enjoy your music.

MaSh

I am happy with my setup and audio quality. I just want to know why there is no difference between audio quality of a basic TV DAC and so much popular Modi Multibit DAC

I have never listened to a Schiit DAC but I know that only some DACs make a significant difference. Speaker change makes a hugely bigger change in the sound signature. With a DAC you need to look for the right things that may not be obvious in the beginning. It may sound strange and funny, but if you are looking for things like more treble or more bass, you will find none. What you get from a better DAC is smoothness in the treble, or less bloated and more defined bass. Female voices may sound a bit less harsh, while the male baritone could come right from the chest and throat. There should be less listening fatigue. On an analog vinyl you can easily flip the same LP several times in succession, while it is not as easy to do so with a digital album, unless the DAC is good at producing a smooth analog signal. Do not try A/B comparisons. Just listen to a full album with the DAC, and then try to repeat the same exercise without the DAC. You may not be able to listen to the complete album

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi.

I have never listened to a Schiit DAC but I know that only some DACs make a significant difference. Speaker change makes a hugely bigger change in the sound signature. With a DAC you need to look for the right things that may not be obvious in the beginning. It may sound strange and funny, but if you are looking for things like more treble or more bass, you will find none. What you get from a better DAC is smoothness in the treble, or less bloated and more defined bass. Female voices may sound a bit less harsh, while the male baritone could come right from the chest and throat. There should be less listening fatigue. On an analog vinyl you can easily flip the same LP several times in succession, while it is not as easy to do so with a digital album, unless the DAC is good at producing a smooth analog signal. Do not try A/B comparisons. Just listen to a full album with the DAC, and then try to repeat the same exercise without the DAC. You may not be able to listen to the complete album

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi.

A big +1 for this.

Do ask around if the said cable is ok to be used for connecting a DAC to an amp... Although on paper, the cable is supposed to transmit data from the DAC to the Amp, maybe it's the weakest link in your system as the Schiit Modi should definitely be better sounding than a TV's DAC

Do ask around if the said cable is ok to be used for connecting a DAC to an amp... Although on paper, the cable is supposed to transmit data from the DAC to the Amp, maybe it's the weakest link in your system as the Schiit Modi should definitely be better sounding than a TV's DAC
I second that. I am also using the same blue rigger subwoofer cable as my co axial input from my dac. I think we just need a 75ohm capable cable thats all. Pramod, better you send a pic of your setup and placement and the room also to solve your problem.

Hi there,

My 2 cents.
1) Dispose off the blurigger cable and get a vention toslink. GadgetsAccessories sell them in amazon.com. Its a no brainer as it costs only 400-500/-
2) Dispose off the DAC cable and get yourself a mogami 2534 pair for 1500/-

That would remove the cable uncertainity from the equation.

Be noted that sony has a good enough DAC. If anything it is a sideways move from modi non-multibit. I have not tried the multi-bit though.
ESS are pretty good DAC in their own right.
HDMI connection pretty much kills other digital connections for stereo and it is a shame that stereo equipments dont come with HDMI interfacing.

You are not comparing DACs which are class apart to hear any significant difference.
My estimation is, you will use the mogami cable with the TV and discard all else until you get a significantly better DAC.

Back