Audioengine dealer in Chennai

Okay people, some more notes about these babies, and some pictures.

psychotropic-albums-ae2-picture33-dsc01110.jpg

psychotropic-albums-ae2-picture30-dsc01108.jpg

psychotropic-albums-ae2-picture32-dsc01111.jpg

psychotropic-albums-ae2-picture31-dsc01109.jpg

In terms of notes, I had shifted them from the granite counter-top on which you see them now to a cheap particle-board shelf...big difference....the AE2s don't agree very much with particle board and express a strong preference for granite. The sound when placed on the particle board lacked bass depth and accuracy, whereas on the granite it was solid and tight. More music sampled on it include the Beautiful South and Jason Mraz, vocal heavy stuff and the voices were reproduced with tremendous depth and definition....as if the singer is with you in the room. Some Deep Purple and Dream Theater were also dealt with considerable ease, but if I had to pick out one type of music with which these fellows are least at ease with...it is hard rock....possibly because you need a bit more bass, and larger cabinets to let all that drums and distortion fill out properly. It is not that these are not capable, it's just that they fare better with other types of music.

Jeff Beck's version of Nitin Sawhney's Nadia was again reproduced in stellar fashion. So electronica is something that is again handled well by these speakers.

Now my problem is that I can't permanently keep them on the granite countertop. Do you think a couple of granite squares on the particle board would help?

Last edited:
Now my problem is that I can't permanently keep them on the granite countertop. Do you think a couple of granite squares on the particle board would help?

Either that, or get a carpenter to make two tables with solid wood, and a granite top. You might even be able to get some teak cheap from sale that happens when old buildings are broken down. If you can put spikes at the bottom of the legs, that will be the best.

Cheers

psychotropic,

Not to do with you, but for my personal info. Can they be wall mounted? I mean is there a provision to even wall mount them?

Hey Venkat, thanks for the tips, unfortunately I don't have the space to have tables. So my quest for a couple of granite tiles/slabs has commenced!

Either that, or get a carpenter to make two tables with solid wood, and a granite top. You might even be able to get some teak cheap from sale that happens when old buildings are broken down. If you can put spikes at the bottom of the legs, that will be the best.

Cheers

Nice pics bro. I like the look very elegant and high end looking for multimedia speakers. Much better than the klipsch promedia 2.1 i owned. If these babies sound so good i can only imagine the Audioengine A5's to be sounding much better especially in the bass.

Congrats man treasure your new toy. :cool:

yes, they are very nicely finished, and look very elegant. They should really get some dealerships across the country though. Not many people would be willing to plonk 10k down on something like this without hearing it. And they don't even have the 30-day return policy that they have in the US. So I was taking a bit of a risk. And the warranty in India is only for 1 year, as opposed to 3 years in the US.

Just as a general note, all my descriptions are keeping the size and price of these speakers in mind. No doubt you will get more extended treble, and better bass and probably more detail from costly speakers, but I can assure you that you would struggle to get it on an amp-speaker combos that cost even double of these.

So if you keep your expectations somewhat reasonable for the price that you are paying, and the compact package that you are getting, then I see no reason why anyone would be disappointed in these speakers.

Nice pics bro. I like the look very elegant and high end looking for multimedia speakers. Much better than the klipsch promedia 2.1 i owned. If these babies sound so good i can only imagine the Audioengine A5's to be sounding much better especially in the bass.

Congrats man treasure your new toy. :cool:

Congratulations psychotropic! Before I setup my present system, I was seriously looking at the Audioengine speakers as an option. So, I have a fondness for them - the kind that people have for past love :)

How would you compare the Audioengine speakers with passive speakers such as, say, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and the like?

Specifically the Wharfedale 9.1 is a comparison I am also waiting to do :). Once I do that I will post here. But generally speaking, I would expect the Wharfedale to sound better, provided it is matched with a good amp.

Congratulations psychotropic! Before I setup my present system, I was seriously looking at the Audioengine speakers as an option. So, I have a fondness for them - the kind that people have for past love :)

How would you compare the Audioengine speakers with passive speakers such as, say, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and the like?

what is your present system??

Psychotropic,

My present system is a Marantz AVR - SR4001, PSB Alpha B1 speakers and an EPOS ELS Sub.

Sorry to wake up a zombie thread but anyone here knows if Audioengine is available in Chennai at this time? I am trying hard to save someone I know from buying a pair of speakers with a four-letter name. Thanks much!

Sorry to wake up a zombie thread but anyone here knows if Audioengine is available in Chennai at this time? I am trying hard to save someone I know from buying a pair of speakers with a four-letter name. Thanks much!

is it buss or buzz or boos or Bass or Buse or something like that :p order one from bajaao.com for 19k for A5

is it buss or buzz or boos or Bass or Buse or something like that :p order one from bajaao.com for 19k for A5

Yeah, something like that. :eek:hyeah: Don't think I could convince this guy to buy one without having him hear one. He's the kind who don't think twice about plopping 30K for a phone and goes 'What?! 15K? For a pair of speakers? I saw a 5.1 package at Croma for 12K!'. I know, I know, I should probably let him have the length of the rope, but still...

Unfortunately no dealers yet for Audioengines in chennai. But I have the A2s, and I would be very happy to have your friend listen to them at my place. This has to be done quickly because I am getting rid of them (to coincide with my speaker upgrade) very soon. Listening to the A2s in my small room should give a good idea about how the A5s sound i think.

Yeah, something like that. :eek:hyeah: Don't think I could convince this guy to buy one without having him hear one. He's the kind who don't think twice about plopping 30K for a phone and goes 'What?! 15K? For a pair of speakers? I saw a 5.1 package at Croma for 12K!'. I know, I know, I should probably let him have the length of the rope, but still...

Unfortunately no dealers yet for Audioengines in chennai. But I have the A2s, and I would be very happy to have your friend listen to them at my place. This has to be done quickly because I am getting rid of them (to coincide with my speaker upgrade) very soon. Listening to the A2s in my small room should give a good idea about how the A5s sound i think.

Thanks for the generous offer, I'll see if my friend can be swayed. Else, I'm not going to try hard, I'll just let him have enough length to hang...:eek:hyeah: BTW, how much are you letting your A2s go for and what are you replacing it with?

I'm replacing them with whatever I pick once my speaker quest (detailed in my 'favourite speakers under 20k' thread) comes to an end. Possibly a pair of Usher S520 to go with my NAD C320BEE amp and Marantz CD63SE CDP.

Thanks for the generous offer, I'll see if my friend can be swayed. Else, I'm not going to try hard, I'll just let him have enough length to hang...:eek:hyeah: BTW, how much are you letting your A2s go for and what are you replacing it with?

I'm replacing them with whatever I pick once my speaker quest (detailed in my 'favourite speakers under 20k' thread) comes to an end. Possibly a pair of Usher S520 to go with my NAD C320BEE amp and Marantz CD63SE CDP.

Ah OK, somehow I forgot that thread... :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back