Audiolab 6000 or Leak CD transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushant Sharma

After much deliberation, i have finally decided that a CD transport might be a useful purchase. In and around my budget i see the above-mentioned Audiolab and Leak CDTs available for sale. These two seem to be more or less the same. Any feedback from users will be great. Open to buying pre-owned as well.
Are there any other choices in this or slightly (and I mean slightly) higher budget? Jays Audio and ilk might be very nice but also cost a pretty penny so please limit your suggestions to the price point mentioned. Will appreciate feedback and inputs. Thanks Gang.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat last year, and was very wary of purchase as there were reports that CDs were being scratched by the slot loader.
Thanks to the reassurances of FMs here, I went ahead and bought the Audiolab. Superb product! Plays everything I throw at it, and no scratches so far :)
The Leak and the Audiolab essentially have the same internals in different clothes, so choose whatever suits your aesthetic. HifiMart is a safe bet with good pricing and quick delivery.

I was in the same boat last year, and was very wary of purchase as there were reports that CDs were being scratched by the slot loader.
Thanks to the reassurances of FMs here, I went ahead and bought the Audiolab. Superb product! Plays everything I throw at it, and no scratches so far :)
The Leak and the Audiolab essentially have the same internals in different clothes, so choose whatever suits your aesthetic. HifiMart is a safe bet with good pricing and quick delivery.
Thanks Coaltrain. Thanks for sharing your experience and appreciate the vote of confidence. Hifimart does seem to have it for sale at a good price.

I too deliberated a lot between these two products , went ahead with AL6000A because of its form factor (LEAKs height can be a problem if you dont have a dedicated space for the CDT with the required height).

Also to add on the performance, while I did not do any A/B with the existing Denon DCD-500AE for SQ as a transport but in terms of playing scratched CDs AL trumps it by reading extremely bad discs too and skipping parts which is not readable whereas other players I have tried just get stuck there for few seconds.

Last edited:
I too deliberated a lot between these two products , went ahead with AL6000A because of its form factor (LEAKs height can be a problem if you dont have a dedicated space for the CDT with the required height).

Also to add on the performance, while I did not do any A/B with the existing Denon DCD-500AE for SQ as a transport but in terms of playing scratched CDs AL trumps it by reading extremely bad discs too and skipping parts which is not readable whereas other players I have tried just get stuck there for few seconds.
Thanks Flux.

Any info about how Cambridge audio transports compare? I just saw that they have one more or less in the same budget.

Thanks Flux.

Any info about how Cambridge audio transports compare? I just saw that they have one more or less in the same budget.

From what I have heard Cambridge support is bad or has been stopped locally, not sure how AL/LEAK compare in terms of support but assuming HIFIMART will assist if needed. From the performance perspective I would let someone ellse chime in as I have not tried CA CDP/CDTs till date.

Thank you guys for your messages and help. I just bought the Leak CDT. No particular reason vis a vis the audiolab. Aesthetics and a good discount might have helped. Would request mods to please close this thread.
Congrats. Which DAC is it connecting to ?

Nice one, Sushant!
And, to eliminate any post purchase dissonance, the CA would not have been a good choice. The Audiolab I picked up replaced a CA 840C. No contest
Now, time to check out the Denafrips DACs over at HPZ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back