CD transport or player or ... ?

nandac

I would like a CD player - as I have a lot of CDs - though of late I listen mostly to ripped FLAC as I live abroad presently.

Got a couple of DACs - arcam IRDAC v1/v2.

Should I buy a CD transport like audiolab or are there better options - like a CD player with a built in Wifi/USB port?

Appreciate the pointers.

I would like a CD player - as I have a lot of CDs - though of late I listen mostly to ripped FLAC as I live abroad presently.

Should I buy a CD transport like audiolab or are there better options - like a CD player with a built in Wifi/USB port?

Appreciate the pointers.
I would prefer a CD transport as it is engineered just to bring the max out of the audio CDs.

Appreciate the pointers.
Neither of those DACs are something to write home about. Get a really good CD player with digital inputs and sell both of them.

Technics sa-c600 - seems quite versatile (with streaming, usb etc) - with great reviews?

Anybody heard this?

edit : oops sorry - this is an amp as well.

I would prefer a CD transport as it is engineered just to bring the max out of the audio CDs.
Hi. I have over 2800 CDs and still play them in my CD player, even though I also ripped them to my PC in FLAC. Anyway, I'm basically doing what you wish with this setup. They may not be "engineered just to bring the max out of the audio CDs." but it works me :)

_ADM7908.jpg
_ADM7909-Edit.jpg

Here my 2004 Rotel RCD-1072 (still like new condition) is connected directly to my 2016 Teac UD-503 DAC via digital coaxial cable thus bypassing the CD player's built-in internal DAC and instead uses the Teac DAC.

My-PC-audiophile-system-setup.jpg
The DAC is also connected to my PC via USB so I can play my music files through it from there if I want.

Last edited:
In my room, to my ears, CD played via a good quality CD player, sounds better than a rip of the same streamed into the inbuilt dac of the same CD player. There is a lengthy technical explanation why, which i shall revisit upon later in the night once iam free. But as is always the case in audio, there are too many variables to identify the root cause.

So, as and when my CD player dies, I will probably buy another. However, if i bought a transport, then i would have to buy the whole shebang to get the same result, which will be a transport, dac and external master clock to sync the two.

Technics sa-c600 - seems quite versatile (with streaming, usb etc) - with great reviews?

Anybody heard this?

edit : oops sorry - this is an amp as well.
Maybe you meant the Technics SL-G700

Hi. I have over 2800 CDs and still play them in my CD player, even though I also ripped them to my PC in FLAC. Anyway, I'm basically doing what you wish with this setup. They may not be "engineered just to bring the max out of the audio CDs." but it works me :)

View attachment 80295
View attachment 80301

Here my 2004 Rotel RCD-1072 (still like new condition) is connected directly to my 2016 Teac UD-503 DAC via digital coaxial cable thus bypassing the CD player's built-in internal DAC and instead uses the Teac DAC.

View attachment 80303
The DAC is also connected to my PC via USB so I can play my music files through it from there if I want.
I used to have same cd player with matching 1062 amp (in silver though) - i had even listed it for sale here in hifivision.

But later i brought them back to usa and sold them both.

Neither of those DACs are something to write home about. Get a really good CD player with digital inputs and sell both of them.
>CD player with digital inputs

What does that mean? digital output to amp via coax i understand. But digital input - u mean like usb to play FLAC from pc?

>CD player with digital inputs

What does that mean? digital output to amp via coax i understand. But digital input - u mean like usb to play FLAC from pc?
It means the cd player has coax/aes/USB or similar inputs to function as a dac. Most mid-high end players allow this. You may connect this player to a network player or pc to stream music.

The output of this device will be analog that you feed to your amp.

View attachment 80295
View attachment 80301

View attachment 80303
Do you stand there to listen to the music ? It seems way above ear level if you are sitting infront of that pc while listening to the music :)

Do you stand there to listen to the music ? It seems way above ear level if you are sitting infront of that pc while listening to the music :)
It might seem that way to you, but the speakers are "slightly" above ear level when sitting and below my shoulders when standing.

As for whether sitting or standing when listening to music, I'll let your imagination play out :)

Thanks.

It might seem that way to you, but the speakers are "slightly" above ear level when sitting and below my shoulders when standing.

As for whether sitting or standing when listening to music, I'll let your imagination play out :)

Thanks.

Thanks.
If it’s slightly above ear level it should sound alright, as either at ear level or slightly above it sounds good. Also I see you have kept them horizontally which keeps the tweeter closer to you and still as wide as possible there. From the pic it looked a bit odd! Did you close the right speakers port on purpose, as it’s flush to the wall?

If it’s slightly above ear level it should sound alright, as either at ear level or slightly above it sounds good. Also I see you have kept them horizontally which keeps the tweeter closer to you and still as wide as possible there. From the pic it looked a bit odd! Did you close the right speakers port on purpose, as it’s flush to the wall?
LOL, I think you're trying too hard to analyze the sound of my system from a photo 🤔

The system may not look perfectly optimized in the photo, but it sounds good to my ears. And though the right speaker is obviously closer to the wall than the active left, it is not flush (there is 4-inch clearance); and no ports are closed off. BTW, what's not shown is the sub-woofer under the desk.

At the end of the day the system sounds great to my ears. If I were trying to win a sound award, maybe I'd be worried of the placement. I'm not. I'm simply listening to and enjoying my music with the system as is.

Peace 😎

Last edited:
LOL, I think you're trying too hard to analyze the sound of my system from a photo 🤔

The system may not look perfectly optimized in the photo, but it sounds good to my ears. And though the right speaker is obviously closer to the wall than the active left, it is not flush (there is 4-inch clearance); and no ports are closed off. BTW, what's not shown is the sub-woofer under the desk.

At the end of the day the system sounds great to my ears. If I were trying to win a sound award, maybe I'd be worried of the placement. I'm not. I'm simply listening to and enjoying my music with the system as is.

Peace 😎
I think I am free to ask, since you posted the pic. Peace :)

It means the cd player has coax/aes/USB or similar inputs to function as a dac. Most mid-high end players allow this. You may connect this player to a network player or pc to stream music.

The output of this device will be analog that you feed to your amp.

A Great example of such a CD Player which can also be used as a very versatile DAC via it's USB input is this:

A Great example of such a CD Player which can also be used as a very versatile DAC via it's USB input is this:

it appears to be just a CD transport and does not have built-in DAC or USB inputs. It just has digital outputs and no digital inputs.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back