Audiolab 6000A and B&W 606

mayukh80

Hi ,

Currently I am running B7W 606 with my CA740A. Although the mid range is commendable, but I find the low and high a bit dry and flat.

How would Audiolab 6000A would perform with these bookshelf?

Due to pandemic, auditioning is a sort of luxury now.

Request FM's to share their insights, recommendation etc.

I would go for something more powerful especially with the B&Ws with continuum mid range drivers.
50 watts will be ok for a small room but i would look at something at least 80-100w.

Cheers.

I would go for something more powerful especially with the B&Ws with continuum mid range drivers.
50 watts will be ok for a small room but i would look at something at least 80-100w.

Cheers.
my current amp delivers 100 W RMS at 8 ohm which is perfectly fine considering the requirement.
But I feel that the lows and highs are being chopped in some cases.
What do you have in mind??

how big is the room & your distance from the speakers? do you have the 606 on stands or are they in a unit?

how big is the room & your distance from the speakers? do you have the 606 on stands or are they in a unit?
my room is approx 12x12 ft which is suppose to change since I stay on rented accomodation.
The speakers are mounted on wooden stands and positioned at the vertex of an isosceles triangle base.
My listening position is at other vertex. The distance from the tip to the base is 7.6 ft.

Just got myself the AL6000a, driving the Concept 20 bookshelves and an active sub on the pre-out. the speakers are rated at 25-75 W, and the amp does not need to even reach 50% to drive them loud enough to be uncomfortable :). It however never loses composure, even when driven at higher volumes - for testing purpose only. My room is a large - 15Ft X 22ft I think or a sq foot here or there. I think it should be able to drive your speakers at respectable volumes, without going into a death plunge, but I have only tried this amp with - tannoy mercury M5, Quad Z1 and Concept 20s, and it drove all without any hassle, though it had to be driven a little louder - around 75-80% to make Z1s loud enough to be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Also I do not know if that is the case for you, but it might work for you. The C20s though extremely accomplished on most music, sounded horrendous with AL6000a on anything that was heavy - rock, orchestra, grunge, jazz anything (ex- led zeppelin). However, I added an active sub on the pre-out and it suddenly made the speakers extremely clear and composed. I could throw absolutely anything at it, and it would handle it like eating a piece of cake. Why I am suggesting is, if you have an active sub lying around - in case - give it a try if your amp has a pre-out and see. It might, just might save you the hassle of buying a new amp.

AL6000a is a very good unit. Ignore the 50w amp if you have a speaker under 88db. Just add a Poweramp and use it as a pre.

MaSh

Also I do not know if that is the case for you, but it might work for you. The C20s though extremely accomplished on most music, sounded horrendous with AL6000a on anything that was heavy - rock, orchestra, grunge, jazz anything (ex- led zeppelin). However, I added an active sub on the pre-out and it suddenly made the speakers extremely clear and composed. I could throw absolutely anything at it, and it would handle it like eating a piece of cake. Why I am suggesting is, if you have an active sub lying around - in case - give it a try if your amp has a pre-out and see. It might, just might save you the hassle of buying a new amp.
The current amp do have a pre-out :) but I dont have sub available. I guess it's like venturing into a new domain altogether. The B&W performance for the mentioned music genre is outstanding as per my perspectives. Lets see how things unfolds as i delve a bit deep into this.

thanks for the suggestion :)

@mayukh80 I know the sub is another headache altogether. This is the first time I hooked one up (bar for testing a few times earlier) for good to my stereo and it is going to stay, however my system really NEEDED it. The only reason why this might be a simpler fix is cause I guess you already like the harmony of your setup, getting a new amp without matching and audition, MIGHT not yield the same results. See if you can borrow one from a friend :) if you have that kind of friends.

What clearance do the speakers have from back wall. You may need at least 2 feet from back of speakers to back wall for the 606 to play to it's optimum.

@mayukh80 I know the sub is another headache altogether. This is the first time I hooked one up (bar for testing a few times earlier) for good to my stereo and it is going to stay, however my system really NEEDED it. The only reason why this might be a simpler fix is cause I guess you already like the harmony of your setup, getting a new amp without matching and audition, MIGHT not yield the same results. See if you can borrow one from a friend :) if you have that kind of friends.
Chander ji, unfortunately true friends are hard to find these days and the one who pretends to be gets caught in this kind of situation. :D

I will definitely give it a shot in coming days.

Wish this pandemic also takes a fast exit for us to come out of the cave.

What clearance do the speakers have from back wall. You may need at least 2 feet from back of speakers to back wall for the 606 to play to it's optimum.
Thanks for your inputs.
All factors were considered during placement. Yes !! you are right. I checked the placement and its more than 2 ft

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back