Audiolab 8200cd Optical connection With Bluray Player

Jbrlycorn

I have just pulled out my old Bluray LG Player and connected it to my Audiolab 8200cd player via optical cable and the cd player is connected to the the Audiolab 8000c preamp via phono and Ive noticed when I play a cd with the Bluray it now sounds better than from the audiolab cd player, bigger soundstage, better separation.
Before it was just connected with left and right phonos to the preamp, so now Im wonder is it because that optical does have better sound. I wondered has anyone else attempted to do anything like this before. I dont know anything about optical either as it is the very first time Ive attempted to use it and its the very first time I heard it.

The improved sound is due to the fact that your BD player is now using the Audiolab 8200 CDs DAC. The inferior DAC of the LG player has been bypassed when you connect it through optical out to the Audiolab. The superior ESS DAC of the Audiolab is making it sound better. The optical connection has no direct role. It just transmits the digital signal from the LG to the Audiolab.

But it is really interesting to note that the OP is finding the performance of the same cd played through the audiolab CD player's inbuilt transport section inferior to playing it through the blu Ray player's transport.

But it is really interesting to note that the OP is finding the performance of the same cd played through the audiolab CD player's inbuilt transport section inferior to playing it through the blu Ray player's transport.
May be more/perfect power to DAC section as no internal spinning of CD trey.:rolleyes:

This thread prompted me to take out an old LG BDP 550. Tried it with modi 2 uber ( on loan from a friend). It sounded better (opened up)than the stock DAC.
Thanks op for the pointer. Can use this as a backup option for audio cd sources.

hey ajeshkumarts My bluray player i tried it on was a BP650 LG. the Dac is a sabre in the audiolab and always sounded excellent, im glad you got better results too trying out, ive not yet tried the bluray player on its own yet, im going to test that out next and see what happens :)

hhaha spirovious thats a good point about the power being better with no internal tray spinning :lol:
Yes,it can actually make difference.I found while making DIY DAC,changing powersupply makes it sound totally different.:)
Same like AVR 100w 2ch driven.70w 5ch driven.:lol:

OP, let me understand this correctly.

1. You connected the AudioLab CD player to the preamp using analogue out, and played a CD on the CD player.

2. You then connected the LG Blu-ray player to the Audiolab CD player via optical, and the Audiolab CD Player to the preamp using analogue. When you played the same CD on the Blu-ray, it sounded better than playing it directly on the CD Player.

If this is what you did, then DOCD logic does not hold water.

One the other hand, if you comparing the connection of the Blu-ray player to the peramp directly, and then via the Audiolab CD player, then what DOCD is saying makes sense.

What did you do?

Cheers

i can see why you say it doesnt hold on water, I tried it directly to the preamp this time, and it sounds different, it has a wider sound and the audiolab sounds closer together. The Bluray player is a 3d bluray player so maybe thats why it sounds so different, maybe its creating a wider sound and this sound isnt so natural whereas the audiolab 8200cd does sound natural although it sounds closer, so im thinking maybe its just all to do with the lazer and thats why it sounds so different, Im not so sure. I have found that there is no difference in sound by connecting the player to optical or analogue now as ive listened to both with the same cd. the cd I used was a very good recording to do the testing on. Chrome Hoof - Pre-Emptive False Rapture so I could hear it clearly. They do both definately sound deferent thats for sure. Bluray being wider in sound. I made sure the bluray was set up to use PCM Audio 2 speaker stereo too

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back